• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

What is the first era for unrefined goods?

DeletedUser114342

Hi, I am stocking up goods at the moment so I don't run short when I need unrefined goods later on. I did a search and the forum post from a few years ago said that Colonial Age was the first goods to be used as unrefined for Modern era. I just want to know if this information is still true as there have been a few added ages, like VF, since this last post.

DeletedUser114342

thank you @bradype.

I do plan to get a CF as well @Richard of shaw , just dont like to be short that's all :)
I also didn't want to needlessly stockpile BA, IA, etc goods if I did not need them later on.

DeletedUser96901

Colonial Age was the first goods to be used as unrefined for Modern era. I just want to know if this information is still true
still true

there have been a few added ages, like VF, since this last post.
but all later

none before modern era ore colonial age

Hi, I am stocking up goods at the moment so I don't run short when I need unrefined goods later on.
no need to stock up unrefined goods

great buildings and wishing wells give twice the amount of unrefined goods

so you will have more than enough of them

DeletedUser114342

@Test Ament Thank you.

Can I ask then why do people talk about stocking up their inventory? I have read on this forum that people stock up anywhere between 1000 per goods to 5000 per goods. I know of one person with 25K dye in their inventory which I think is a bit excessive. I also saw on one post a bronze aged boost for one of the future eras. Mind you this person was making a mock-up picture and was using the bronzed aged boost as an example, hence my confusion about what unrefined goods were needed much later on.

DeletedUser114342

Also one of my guild members in the later ages is currently having issues downtrading as even though he has WW and GBs that give unrefined goods he is still struggling to get enough which is also why I thought it better to stock up.

GBs give the unrefined for current goods, so 3 ages down. People stock up so the have enough refined of their current era goods before moving up. As soon as you level your gb goods change so you no longer get the unrefined goods for what you were producing before.

I think that makes sense?

Emberguard

Legend
@Test Ament Thank you.

Can I ask then why do people talk about stocking up their inventory? I have read on this forum that people stock up anywhere between 1000 per goods to 5000 per goods. I know of one person with 25K dye in their inventory which I think is a bit excessive. I also saw on one post a bronze aged boost for one of the future eras. Mind you this person was making a mock-up picture and was using the bronzed aged boost as an example, hence my confusion about what unrefined goods were needed much later on.
It's mostly to pace ourselves. Too quickly through the ages and your GBs won't be lvl'd up enough to cope. You'll also need goods for the tech tree something like 2 or 3 ages after that age

Edit:
You're right, 25k dye is really excessive, assuming they were stockpiling and not selling higher aged goods (which would need trading with a lower age good)

Another thing is if you have a stock of goods then you don't need to worry about negotiating costs when DC, GE, Continent Map or an Event Quest comes up. So at the very least you should keep a few hundred to make sure you can negotiate if the need arises. If you haven't got a GB from that era yet and you have the goods you can just build it any time you change your mind.

In the event the guild treasury gets low or a fellow member needs goods you'd be able to help out. For that matter if you wanted to make your own guild you'd have the goods to fund it.

Last edited:

DeletedUser115071

It's mostly to pace ourselves. Too quickly through the ages and your GBs won't be lvl'd up enough to cope. You'll also need goods for the tech tree something like 2 or 3 ages after that age
Don't forget about GE, that people from the guild would like you to complete it and if you don't you actually lose on good prices like Terrace Farm, FoY, SSW and so on which at some point you will need to negotiate cause you won't have proper attack boost.

DeletedUser114342

Thanks all, that is all very solid advice.
In regards to GBs I am on the fence about the Dynamic Tower. I have a number of top ranking friends (in the top 200 in my world) and looking at their GB list there were only a couple of them that had a DT and they were pretty low level at that (less than 10). Considering that most of their GBs were level 60 and above, this made me rethink that a DT would be good to build.

Agent327

Overlord
DT gives goods from the era of the building you polish/motivate. If you are trying to get goods from higher era's it is good, but if that is to much work and you prefer to use the aid button, you should not place it. In that case, the Seed Vault with the same footprint would be better. That gives goods from your era.

DeletedUser6065

DT gives goods from the era of the building you polish/motivate. If you are trying to get goods from higher era's it is good, but if that is to much work and you prefer to use the aid button, you should not place it. In that case, the Seed Vault with the same footprint would be better. That gives goods from your era.
Why 327 - I do believe this is the first civilized post you have made. So, I'm guessing you may have finally pulled your head out. Congrats.
. . . mk

DeletedUser113901

Thanks all, that is all very solid advice.
In regards to GBs I am on the fence about the Dynamic Tower. I have a number of top ranking friends (in the top 200 in my world) and looking at their GB list there were only a couple of them that had a DT and they were pretty low level at that (less than 10). Considering that most of their GBs were level 60 and above, this made me rethink that a DT would be good to build.
The reason why top players don't build DT is they usually are advanced in tech tree and the DT is less powerful compared to other goods producing means every age you move up. But if you're planning to camp in CE or lower it's very good. Low levels is because it is also only as powerful as the players you aid have advanced buildings. You can't plan your friends and guild lists based on your DT needs only so...
I'd say DT is worth having at level 10 if you meet these conditions: add your friends trough ranking, are in CE or lower, have a supportive about trades guild.

DeletedUser114342

@bradype those are very good points.

I am currently in LMA and a third of my friends are in VF already plus I have a few high ranking members in my guild.

A level 10 DT will give me 39 goods/day and as I aid every day this should not be a problem.

I suppose if I get a DT while I am in LMA, I can actively target buildings from modern era onwards and stock pile that way so I have them ready for use when I need them. In that case I probably won't need any goods buildings in the future, especially since I read that at the later stages you need promethium as well as unrefined goods and promethium is not as easy to produce if I have it correct?
If that is the case, do I really need the other GB producing buildings then at a later stage?

So now I have the decide to whether build a DT first or a CF? Both are good GBs and will give me a lot of bonuses. I also have the BPs ready to go for both of them.

@Xenophon the Prophet 576

Just for info Promethium is collected using AF goods (and Orichalcum using OF goods) and is very expensive. Depending on how far up the tech tree you are determines the number of slots on the ship. For example each slot takes 25 goods to fill and depending on the skills and health you will get roughly between 60 - 100 promethium in 24 hours

So 100 AF goods for average 80 promethium every 24 hours and to complete AF and OF tech you need total of 10780 promethium - so costly and time consuming :)

Last edited:

Emberguard

Legend
I suppose if I get a DT while I am in LMA, I can actively target buildings from modern era onwards and stock pile that way so I have them ready for use when I need them. In that case I probably won't need any goods buildings in the future, especially since I read that at the later stages you need promethium as well as unrefined goods and promethium is not as easy to produce if I have it correct?
If that is the case, do I really need the other GB producing buildings then at a later stage?

So now I have the decide to whether build a DT first or a CF? Both are good GBs and will give me a lot of bonuses. I also have the BPs ready to go for both of them.

Highly unlikely you'll be able to focus on Dynamic Tower alone by the time you get to the last few eras. It's useful but it's biggest strength is in trading down the goods it gives which is why those that want to go ahead on the Continent map while camping love using the Dynamic Tower

Here's the list of tech tree requirements (upto the end of Oceanic): http://www.wildgunner.co.uk/FoE/ResearchResources.php

For the sake of argument lets say you managed to always get the 39 Oceanic goods from aiding (chances are you won't).
Artificial Scales: 2,160 / 39 = 55.38 days
Biolight: 1,750 / 39 = 44.87 days
Corals: 2,300 / 39 = 58.97 days
Pearls: 1,940 / 39 = 49.74 days
Plankton: 2,050 / 30 = 68.33 days

Total: 277.29 days (Just for Oceanic Research)

On top of that you'll very likely still need goods for the Kraken which takes another 2,150 goods or 55.13 days bringing the total so far to 332.42 days for the Dynamic Tower to give you all Oceanic Goods needed. This is not counting if you want the Atlantis Museum or the Blue Galaxy but they should have the same total of goods needed.

On top of that this does not factor negotiations in. For GE I highly doubt 39 a day is going to be enough to negotiate with.

Now trading down you could do 2:1 so the further down you go the easier the DT will fully fund your goods needs. Assuming you could manage to get Virtual goods instead of Oceanic then this would be your best scenario:
1 Virtual
2 Oceanic
4 Arctic
8 Future
16 Tomorrow
32 Contemporary
64 Post Modern
128 Modern

128 x 39 = 4,992 modern goods per day (if trading down from Virtual Era, otherwise from Oceanic down it'd be 2,496 modern goods daily)

Now that sounds great doesn't it? Just one problem, the biggest source of your trading down will be from your guild mates. So you won't actually be able to continually trade down all the time depending on the current market needs. (Especially if others try the same thing)

Emberguard

Legend
I love the Dynamic Tower, but I would never recommend it as your sole income of refined goods as targeting only the age you need would take too long, and trading down has its limitations. You'd need to supplement it with other GBs such as Seed Vault or Chateau Front that are also able to provide Refined Goods. All other GBs I can think of only provide unrefined goods unless you're plundering.