• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

What does a new player need in a guild & tips for noobs?

DeletedUser110745

I have been playing the game for a few days and am at iron age. I am looking for a 'somewhat serious' guild.

* I am playing quite a few hours a day at moment.
* I help ALL allies with polish etc however current guild i am thinking most are inactive because i rarely get a polish back except for friends bar. So my preference would be to be in a guild that is well run and very active.
* Helpful allies to do fair trades (currently running all goods buildings which seems inefficient use of land) but the marketplace is all trades at 10:1 or FP which seems pricey - i don't know if guilds can trade 1:1 for like goods such as timber for marble? The only marketplace trades 1:1 asked for forge points as well.
* I would like a guild with clear & fair rules - it must be clear what i am expected to give and what the benefits back are - i don't mind contributing to a guild but as that is an investment in trust i want a loyal guild and i don't expect to have to give everything i have so that i cant progress unless it's made clear in exceptional occasions.
* Advice - as a new player it would be good to be in a guild that can advise on combat units/strategy so that the whole guild benefits with less waste/frustration.

Guild Expedition - I have never done this so can't say whether it's for me or not. I think this would be something i would be willing to invest in if i was able to get combat advice from people who know which units are best - although i am sure there are probably forum guides on it too. My current guild has 16 of 80 people participating in GE which is another factor that makes me think they are probably mostly inactive guild. I wouldn't want to be in a guild that expects 365 days participation either - it would suck to invest a lot and get kicked if i said i was going on holiday for one week.
GvG - as above interested to try but as a non diamond spender i don't want the cost to be too high. I am currently up to Ruug on combat map (only 2 sectors to beat in it) and have defeated all sectors so far with 8 spearmen - but i am now at a point where i need to use combat units which take over an hour each and i have not yet found the best combination of units for these battles - sucks to have archers die when they take so long to make!

Not sure if there is a trade off with a big active guild versus a small higher level guild - does guild level affect the ability of units in conquering sector/provinces?
Using the aid button is very fast but is this less desirable than selecting from visit specific building (eg I note my highest level monuments are not always getting much polishing)?

I know this is a bit long winded but in other games in the past i have ran guilds so would rather take a bit of time to find a good guild than just join a guild with no rules and be frustrated in a deadish/incompatible guild.

DeletedUser110195

In your position, I advise the following: Do guild expedition as much as you are able, get a temple of relics as soon as you are able, it makes the whole thing very worth it. Join a guild that has a high-ish number of members, 60 or so AND a guild that's got ehhhh....8 or more gold GE cups and equal or less silver and copper. If it's an apply guild, see if their rules work for you and take a shot, worst they can say is no.

Also throw out applications to multiple guilds that fit the bill, but of course if you find one that's auto-join, by all means go for it, though you could also spend your time waiting on apply guilds by jumping in auto-joins, aid everyone, throw friend invites at the top 10-20 members and move on, while you wait for a response to your applications, those are the people who can only accept friend invites, not send them out, betters your chances of filling your friend list sooner.

Oh, and NEVER buy from the merchant, it won't hurt you to wait a day, or a week even, to get what you need. Joining a large guild helps with this because there's sure to be someone who has what you need.

Vesiger

Monarch
It definitely sounds as if you're in a fairly inactive guild - normally you would expect to see trades offered by fellow guild members which don't require FP to accept.
Most guilds seem to have fairly similar rules, although some of them have more stringent qualifications than others. I'd say that one thing to look for is a nice chatty guild where people are always posting messages to each other about the game (and other things!)

So far as activity goes, you might like to check out possible guilds (or even your current guild) on the FOEstats website, which will show you a graph of guild progress and indicate how many of the players have been scoring points recently: here's the page for Arvahall, and you can use the search box to locate individual guilds.
http://foestats.com/en/en1/guilds/?server=en1&world=Arvahall

DeletedUser110745

Thank you all very much!

Augustavian: not sure what a temple of relics is but i am guessing a reward from doing GE?
So far i joined a new guild just before the new GE started, much more active than last guild and had good trades in market so generally speaking very happy to learn here and so far they seem active and casual. I like the GE but am currently stuck on a 2 wave battle which is 12 fights in, 2 ballista, 2 warrior, 2 horseman, 2 spearmen - i left my slingers at home and used 8 spearmen being cheap so no loss - the battle was just fine until wave 2 which was all slingers that picked off my half dead spearmen quickly - yuck. So i am considering using my saved gold (20k to buy FP at 2k gold each) to get archers and stronger units like legionnaires which should make battles easier - maybe buy a tavern boost too or use one from the birthday celebration rewards.

Thanks Vesiger, i used that link to check out other guilds, there was one i wanted to apply for but they didn't come up on my guild tab thing, however i did use it to check out and make sure the one i could join with 70+ members was reasonably active.

I am guessing to join a guild that doesn't come up on suggested bar you have to friend people from that guild first?

Some people seem to guild hop a lot, what's the benefit in that? Are they just looking for trades and gold from aid and run?

Joesoap - yes i agree, shortest way of learning is to benefit from experience of others, so definitely interested in anyone who has tips for me.

Where i am stuck in combat now is things like 2 wave battles or fights with 3 legionnaires in them. I know the combat is rather rock - paper - scissors and am thinking i will go try and find some combat guides.

DeletedUser110195

Thank you all very much!

Augustavian: not sure what a temple of relics is but i am guessing a reward from doing GE?
It's a unique great building that you can get blueprints for from GE as well as donating to ones built by friends, guildys and neighbors. When you build it, every time you finish an encounter you have a chance to get a relic, which can give you buildings, troops, forge points, diamonds I think. When the chance comes up to get a rogue hideout, take it. Rogues are absolutely essential to clearing GE without getting your army slaughtered.....at least until you've got a 200% attack bonus.

DeletedUser9168

Thank you all very much!
Thanks Vesiger, i used that link to check out other guilds, there was one i wanted to apply for but they didn't come up on my guild tab thing, however i did use it to check out and make sure the one i could join with 70+ members was reasonably active.

I am guessing to join a guild that doesn't come up on suggested bar you have to friend people from that guild first?

Some people seem to guild hop a lot, what's the benefit in that? Are they just looking for trades and gold from aid and run?
You can join, or apply to join any guild you like (so long as it is not already full) You are not restricted to the suggested guilds which appear on your bar when you are not in a guild. if you are playing on the browser, click on the button for your global rank, top left of screen (laurel leaves), select first tab, guilds, and click on a guilds name to view their guild profile. this will tell you a bit about the guild. If you like what you see, send a message to the founder, or other named person asking for a guild invite.
on the mobile app you don't seem to be able to click on guilds in the global listings (accessed from the trophy/laurel leaves icon top left of screen) but you can message any player you want by typing their name into the recipients box of 'create message'

Guild hoppers are often just either having a look around, or aiding everyone in the hope of gaining blueprints, then moving on. many guilds take a dim view of them - they don't help develop a community spirit, but you do get extra aiding from many of them.

DeletedUser6065

besides focusing on just finding a suitable guild, you could also try to find an active, experienced friend, some1 that you can message with questions etc, sort of like a mentor
Best possible answer. Good catch, joesoap.

DeletedUser110745

Thanks all again. I play on mobile so options for looking at guilds is restricted, next time i need a guild i will know how to go about it. I have a laptop but it's a bit of a hassle comparatively.

Vesiger

Monarch
Thanks all again. I play on mobile so options for looking at guilds is restricted, next time i need a guild i will know how to go about it. I have a laptop but it's a bit of a hassle comparatively.
If you play in Arvahall, contact Apache Priestess and tell her I sent you :blush: