• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: [Quest] Weekly recurring event: Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser110639

Proposal:
New weekly recurring event: Adventures (because the words "quest" and "expedition" is already used)

Adventures allow you to speak to an "NPC" in the Tavern and, if you pay him with your Tavern Silver, you are able to start an adventure for some extra resources (more below). You can start one adventure every week, and you would have one week to complete as much of it as you can.

It is, effectively, a single player expedition, but with a few additions.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yes, it doesn't appear to have been suggested before.

Reason:
Adventures aim to address a few different issues people have with the game:

For one, I imagine it would start on a Friday, to offer something to people who have completed the Guild Expedition for the week, and want something to do over the weekend.

During events, the adventures could be used to complete event quests such as "Capture a sector", "scout a province" or "complete a research".

It would also offer an alternative thing to spend Tavern Silver on.

Details:
When Adventures are available, you'll see either a tab on the Tavern, or maybe some indication on a little hut next to the tavern. Clicking on it shows a dialogue window where you have the option to start an adventure. The price is always the same, though it should be something significant (10.000 tavern silver, perhaps).

Adventures come in three parts, based on the players age. Effectively, it shows a continent map with four provinces: Your "starting" province, and then three provinces of increasing difficulties.

You scout the first province, which is the easy one, and expost 5-10 sectors, just like on the continent map. However, these sectors a different from what we see on the continent map, as sectors can offer different objectives. Some might just be a normal battle as we have seen before, but have different requirements in order to be completed.

Here's a list of suggested encounters:

- Fight an army
- Win a negotiation (GE style)
- Trade x goods (continent map style)
- Finish a research (add X Forge Points to a special research bar)
- Construct a building (open the build menu and place the building on the sector, effectively building it in that sector)
- Who knows what else?

Each sector would have a different objective, but you would have to complete that sectors specific objective. There are no alternatives like there are on the continent map or in the guild expedition.

Once all sectors are complete, you can scout the next province in the adventure and repeat the process. The difficulty increases with each province, going from fairly easy to extremely difficult.

Rewards could be paid out in a few different ways. Either as a reward for the individual sectors, or as a big reward when you complete a province. I'm leaning towards the latter, so that you can only get the reward if you finish an entire province, to make it a bit more difficult.

The first province would give a nominal reward, not much more than what you'd expect from a guild expedition. The second province would have slightly better rewards, with the final (very difficult) province providing a *chance* at a premium building (1%) or similar sought after items - but mostly things that are generally only available for free.

The entire adventure would be wrapped up in age-appropriate quests. Each sector might have some different flavor text. For example, a research sector in the Early Middle Ages might read "Help the goat herder keep his livestock safe - research fences 0/20 FP".

Visual Aids:
A lot of the visual framework has already been created, but I imagine it will take a while to get it all to work well with the "continent map".

I have created a very detailed and in depth graphical representation of what it could look like:

hdxBkez.png

Balance:
Balance is going to be important, because you will have people who will do both the guild expedition and the adventures. Of course, the time and effort put into completing an adventure would also mean that the rewards should match, but it's important that each player will feel that they are challenged - as such, it makes no sense to have a player in Modern Era fighting units from the Bronze Age or having to build a Brewery.

Abuse Prevention:
This system would allow players to stay in an age indefinitely, being able to complete events that require you to finish a research, capture sectors or a province, without being forced in to the next age. But this idea is specifically to help people, who are not yet ready to advance, but still wish to participate in the events, so I'm not sure if it's actually abuse.

Summary:
Adventures could solve many issues. A lot of players have a lot of tavern silver that they can't really spend fast enough, and a lot of players are complaining that they are unable to finish events because that will force them in to the next age. Other players - and this is myself - just find themselves done with the Guild Expedition after a few days, and want something else to entertain themselves with (inside the game) before the next Guild Expedition starts.

DeletedUser

I actually love the idea of this, with the NPC stranger in the tavern who will send you on an adventure - it's very medieval fantasy! :lol: I also like that it provides some other use for Tavern Silver, which I'm currently collecting for no reason as I VERY rarely purchase boosts. It would be an interesting way for folks to be able to stay indefinitely in a chosen age (which I'm generally not in favour of), but still at a relatively steep cost to themselves, especially if they are in the habit of spending Silver on other things.

I'm not quite sold on the balance though. I think we'd need to see the exact rewards and exact tasks required in order to complete the Adventure in order to decide whether we'd put the effort in. You'll also need to convince the people that never want to see anything added because of the infamous lag issues that it'll be worth their time.

I can't quite give a +1 without knowing the finer details, but I really like your idea and appreciate that amount of thought and effort you've put in. I personally would enjoy this little side game.

DeletedUser110639

I think Adventures partly resolves the problem of "Oh no, this event quest has me finish a research/scout a new area, but that will put me in to the next age" kind of thing, and also gives players another alternative.

I tend to burn through the GE within a day or two (depending on how many extra attempts I get), meaning I have nothing left to do from Friday to Monday except for raiding all of my neighbours ;) a mixed variety of challenges would be fine for anyone.

A "weak" (for the lack of a better word) player could still participate in an Adventure each week, but would possibly only complete the first level. Dedicated players should be able to complete level two, but level three is reserved for players with good attack/defense GB's, possibly goods from a further age etc. The benefit of it being a province map, and being able to do it over a week or so, is that people can plan ahead and trade for the goods needed.

For me, Goods and Gold are in surplus, even if I negotiate through a lot of the GE. So I would spend that for a chance to get something interesting - new units, maybe a premium building if I'm lucky, or just something to entertain myself :P

DeletedUser110195

This sounds like an excellent way to alleviate a lot of problems people have suggested other ideas for, like cancelling scout missions and would allow players to freely scout everything as soon as possible, though the research would need to cost at most, 24 fp regardless of age and probably less, since you won't actually be gaining anything equal to what you pay to complete it. I think the rewards for finishing each part should be the same or similar to the end-of-level chests in GE. I'd also do away with the GE style negotiation and just make it two trade, for the 'acquire two sectors without fighting' and really make the battle portions negotiable too; some people aren't fighters, at all, and as such won't be equipped to handle battles against defenders of their age.

DeletedUser110639

No, some aren't fighters at all, but the point of the Adventures would be to give people a difficult challenge, in exchange for some rewards. Beggers cant be choosers, and this would only be a different way to entertain yourself in the game.

For those specifically complaining that the game is forcing them to the next age, then this is a "take it or leave it" feature. You'll have to fight if you want to use Adventures to finish your event quest, and most people who want to keep back in an age most likely have something to complete at least a level 1 adventure. Those who complete level three are the dedicated players who does it for the challenge and the potential rewards.

I think it's important to have a few varieties in the Adventure, so it's not "just another province". Provinces are fine as they are, but when you're done with the provinces of your age, you can't do anything unless you want to advance to the next age's area of the map. And that is fine for some, but eventually you end up in a situation where you can't advance, and suddenly there's a big Spring Event coming along that Inno spent time making, but that some people can't participate in because.. well, they played the game.

DeletedUser110195

I suppose it would force farmers to make realistic cities; no one ever survived without having some form of armed forces, if even limited, unless allied with someone powerful.

+1

I like this idea.

I think Inno have now stopped forcing people to research, giving an alternate (seems to often be "donate <masses> to the guild treasury" which is fine it people really are committed to staying in an age). However, that is only one of the reasons for 'Adventures.'

Special Adventures, with a modified story line and greater prizes, could even be used as an alternate platform for some of the historical quests.

I loved the "detailed and in depth graphical representation" but hopefully Inno can draw better hexes! :)

Advocate idea (because 'champion' is used already)
An idea for the 2nd province would be to fight (negotiate/trade/whatever) a sector on behalf of a friend or guild member. That player can have only one person fight (etc.) on their behalf and the person must be different than the week before. This fight is credited in the third province of the person being fought (etc.) for. This means that to get through the third province, you must have had someone fight on your behalf in their second province. The reason for this is to expand the interconnectivity between players, getting them to cooperate and communicate. It will not be a disaster if nobody fought (successfully) for you, as it won't affect ongoing game story, just the Adventure for that week.

Sell goods (challenge)
Another idea to make people interact is to have a requirement to sell a few goods. It should not be many and the number could scale with age, say 5 at Iron Age, 10 at EMA. This again encourages people to interact, this time on the market, and put on trades (which might have to be in the buyer's favour to complete the sector in the desired time). The reward can make up any goods which might have had to be sold at discount (if there is to be a sector award).

LadyHecate

Major-General
+1
Like the idea, and I had hoped that Instances would have been a much smaller version of what you suggest rather than the point and collect that they are now.

DeletedUser105579

+1, nicely thought out. One suggestion would be to be able to "replace" one sector (in all the provinces combined),(for diamonds or gold, that you can figure out), in order to avoid dictating how farmers and/or fighters play as much.

Another possibility would be to offer (occasional) alternate routes to success. You would be offered one route with a known challenge (e.g. fight, negotiate, build) or could make an irreversible decision to go via another sector, where the challenge was unknown. This gives players who don't like that particular challenge a chance to avoid it but only by accepting something they might like even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.