• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Closed Week #23 2017-10-09

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser110179

there should be a wooden spoon prize..... just saying :)
Brilliant ...

Coming stone cold last is more difficult than one imagines .
Merely participating is a step in the right direction ... it's all the losers that make the winner great.

Success is 90% failure .

Participant-Gold 300px.png

Amy Steele

General
Maybe that's one worth thinking about :D
How would you decide wooden spoon? Furthest from the correct time? And, what would you suggest as a prize?

Feel free to discuss in the new week's thread, starting very soon! As for this week, it was indeed a rollover :)

DeletedUser111351

If I understand the wooden spoon correctly, coming in last is a rather inaccurate portrayal of the concept. The phrase I'm familiar with for truly last place would be "booby prize." The wooden spoon is given not to the person who comes in last, but the person who "wins" by the smallest margin (and thus receives both the "grand prize" and the wooden spoon).

It's like the qualifying rounds in a sports competition. There are tons of teams that fail to qualify. Only a select few make it in. Making it in is the prize and everyone who qualifies gets it. The wooden spoon would go to the lowest qualifier.

So, while a booby prize could be given out, that seems rather complicated to determine. Also, the point of the contest is to get people to come to the forum and talk. Giving out a prize for coming in last promotes posting a single time and then purposefully avoiding any more posts (which is exactly the opposite of the purpose). The wooden spoon, on the other hand, is somewhat more straightforward. If the winning time were 11am and the range allowed were 2 minutes either direction, then the wooden spoon would go to someone who posted at 11:01:59 or 10:58:01 (someone who squeaked in by the smallest possible margin).

Now it could be that it was awarded to whomever won and was furthest from the exact time (a typical wooden spoon prize), but this contest can often have just a single winner and so they would automatically also be the furthest (which rather defeats the purpose of the wooden spoon). It would make more sense to lay a set of conditions that must be met to win a spoon.

It could require a set number of winners. Say, for instance, 3 or more people must win in the same week then wooden spoon becomes active and whomever was furthest from the time gets it.

It could be margin of making it in. Anyone within the first or last 10 seconds who wins gets a spoon.

As for prize, ideally it would be a 1x1 city decoration of a big spoon. As to whether or not Inno's graphic designers have the time or inclination to create a new building just for this gag forum contest would be the question there.

DeletedUser111351

Like in school, you take a class and can pass the class or fail the class. If one never went to class or did any work or took any exam they would get a zero. The would fail the class. This person would be in last place. This person does not win a wooden spoon for coming in last. The person that gets the wooden spoon is the person that does pass the class, but only just barely passes.

Some people do worse and fail. Some do better and pass with a higher grade. The wooden spoon recipient has people that both did better and worse then they did. But they did the worst of everyone who passed.

DeletedUser110179

Like in school, you take a class and can pass the class or fail the class. If one never went to class or did any work or took any exam they would get a zero. They would fail the class. This person would be in last place. This person does not win a wooden spoon for coming in last. The person that gets the wooden spoon is the person that does pass the class, but only just barely passes.
Maybe school is a poor analogy since everyone is forced (by law) to attend school ... mostly.

Many of the most successful people are university or college drop-outs (eg Bill Gates) or even people who never attended school at all
(The schooling system may not always allow students to excel when the economy demands a huge number of predictable workers) .
A game like FoE may afford people to discover their own potential and lead them on a journey of unexpected success and wonder .
Games are a great tool for learning and development ... for all ages .

The wooden spoon award is more about the very lowest level of success ... just getting onto the ladder (just having the guts to participate) .
Somebody just trying out FoE ... when they've never played any Massively Multiplayer Online Game or even any game at all ... could be rewarded .
Some people leave FoE because of the plundering but many leave before they even get a chance to get started and understand what it's all about .

So, in a way ... you really want to target the person that was brave enough to make his way here (even if it's only one post) .

Success is 90% failure !

Wooden Spoon Award.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser111351

@Bridgeman55 Um, well considering we are talking about the wooden spoon, and the wooden spoon was created specifically at an educational institute, I'd say a school analogy is more apropos than most. Whether or not schools are fair, whether or not people can do poorly at school and yet be successful elsewhere is irrelevant. Either way @Ilela didn't seem to understand my sports team analogy, so I gave a school one. That post was just another attempt to help explain the concept.

And I disagree, the concept of the wooden spoon has absolutely nothing to do with "everyone gets a participation award." If the Mods want to give away a participation award to any and all, that's their choice. I don't have any real opinion on that one way or the other at the moment. That's a completely different subject to how/when/what a wooden spoon prize should be incorporated into this thread.

DeletedUser111589

The emoji was supposed to turn out differently and I was too lazy to delete post.

I did understood what was meant, I was awed of sorts at the length of post.

DeletedUser110195

Just so you all know the week 24 thread is up so perhaps you should continue discussing things there? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.