• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Closed Week #17 2017-08-28

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser110195

That link doesn't work. Is it the male colour blindness again?
Man it must suck not being able to see red and green, all someone has to do is hide their valuables behind a tree. >_>

How DO you manage to plunder anything? Do the other vikings laugh at you?

@Ilela Just saw your city on Jaims....guess no one warned you against building the colosseum.

Castel del Monte is the only one of the three attacker GBs that is actually of use to a farmer...
Indeed, but a Hagia Sofia is probably of greater relevance fo a farmer.

A Hagia Sofia combined, later, with a St. Basil's would be better. After all, if you are restricting yourself to easy fights, you don't really need an attacker boost but a defence boost can save you heavy losses on those times when you are at the bottom half of your neighbourhood.

DeletedUser110195

Oh I don't dispute that the defensives are more valuable to a farmer, but speaking as someone who is a fighter, and just does the farmer thing on alt-worlds because it's faster, having a slight boost would let me occasionally fight the easy fights when the mood takes me.

DeletedUser110179

I guess you get fp-Farming and diamond-Mining ... both having their target construction focus.

apples-clip-art-70 250px.png

DeletedUser111589

@Ilela Just saw your city on Jaims....guess no one warned you against building the colosseum.

I decided to build it for happiness and extra medals. I dislike those cultural buildings like school, market, tavern. They do nothing but give happiness. Coliseum at least gives medals.

Can't say I don't understand it's lack of popularity.

DeletedUser110195

I decided to build it for happiness and extra medals. I dislike those cultural buildings like school, market, tavern. They do nothing but give happiness. Coliseum at least gives medals.

Can't say I don't understand it's lack of popularity.
Its lack of popularity stems from the fact that it's huge and cultural buildings of its age equal it in happiness per tile and it just gets blown away the further from iron age you go. Its medal production is also quite unflattering. Fear not though....there is a colonial age great building that takes up the same amount of space, gives far superior amounts of medals and is utterly invaluable: Deal Castle.

You should also note, consecutive posts in these what time is it threads are invalid, so you should put it all in one comment....or wait for someone else to say something. ;)

DeletedUser111589

Its lack of popularity stems from the fact that it's huge and cultural buildings of its age equal it in happiness per tile and it just gets blown away the further from iron age you go. Its medal production is also quite unflattering. Fear not though....there is a colonial age great building that takes up the same amount of space, gives far superior amounts of medals and is utterly invaluable: Deal Castle.

You should also note, consecutive posts in these what time is it threads are invalid, so you should put it all in one comment....or wait for someone else to say something. ;)

I still dislike cultural buildings. Decorations are far more useful as they aren't connected to roads. So, that extra happiness should be gained from roads?

@Prinza the Hunter I would be kind of player relying on great buildings as I don't see point in attacking. The loot gained is too low for too much cost. Still keeping some troops is useful for expedition at least.

DeletedUser110195

I still dislike cultural buildings. Decorations are far more useful as they aren't connected to roads. So, that extra happiness should be gained from roads?
Oh I quite agree with you, but the thing about cultural buildings is they can be polished for double the happiness and cost nothing more than coin and supply to build, but yes you should upgrade roads, best time is whenever someone wants you to 'gain' happiness for a quest. Better ways of gaining happiness are such GBs as Hagia Sophia, which gives much better happiness, occupies the same number of tiles and gives FP instead of a pittance of medals.

DeletedUser108047

No gain from attacking? Putting aside the social and entertainment benefit of attacking the hood...
  • you get points for every fight for personal standing
  • offence is often the best defence in the hood
  • the more you fight the better your fighting skills so you are better equiped for GE and map advancement without having to pay lots of goods (and time whilst you build those goods)
  • If you get the right set up - ie rogues, traz and good fighting boosts it doesn't actually cost much if anything as you shouldn't lose

DeletedUser111589

Oh I quite agree with you, but the thing about cultural buildings is they can be polished for double the happiness and cost nothing more than coin and supply to build, but yes you should upgrade roads, best time is whenever someone wants you to 'gain' happiness for a quest. Better ways of gaining happiness are such GBs as Hagia Sophia, which gives much better happiness, occupies the same number of tiles and gives FP instead of a pittance of medals.

Polished school (bronze age) gives 480 happiness, in case polish expires dropping enthusiasm down to 100% and I'm about to collect supplies, I lose those 20% of supplies. I don't want to rely on such a thing. I do keep my happiness in Jaims upped by 1k of required enthusiasm just in case.

@Dane thorson I was attacking while I was in iron age. I would lose a spearman or 2 and get chance to plunder to ultimately gain 20 supplies at cost of over 100. Those points you speak of really don't matter to me as I'm not aiming for top of leaderboard.

As you advance in age, you will find the plunder opportunities get better. It only takes stealing 5 goods to pay for a lot of lost troops. Plundering a Mahataja's Palace .. well ..!

Also, there's a lot of good stuff available through Guild Expedition and the cheapest way through that is fighting.

Decorations .. NO! They take aid away from larger buildings. Think on this: is it better to have 120% production on all buildings, or double production on half of them? Before getting a stack of special buildings that took my happiness through the roof but also,give me coins, supply, goods, Forge Points and medals, I successfully ran towns that would go to 100% with no polishing, or 120% with.

Colosseum is OK to build to level 2, maybe 3, but stop at that and be ready to delete in in 2 to 3 months, when you have alternate (event) buildings.

@Amy Steele , I presume this competition is closed now?

DeletedUser111589

As you advance in age, you will find the plunder opportunities get better. It only takes stealing 5 goods to pay for a lot of lost troops. Plundering a Mahataja's Palace .. well ..!

Also, there's a lot of good stuff available through Guild Expedition and the cheapest way through that is fighting.

Decorations .. NO! They take aid away from larger buildings. Think on this: is it better to have 120% production on all buildings, or double production on half of them? Before getting a stack of special buildings that took my happiness through the roof but also,give me coins, supply, goods, Forge Points and medals, I successfully ran towns that would go to 100% with no polishing, or 120% with.

Colosseum is OK to build to level 2, maybe 3, but stop at that and be ready to delete in in 2 to 3 months, when you have alternate (event) buildings.

@Amy Steele , I presume this competition is closed now?

I'll give it a shot once again when I get Alcatraz and about special buildings, Rosarium is only I got(is it special building?)

DeletedUser110179

I have a PC but don't play games on it. I have found that if I allow myself to do so, I don't get any work done.
apple-clipart 250px.png
Get an Apple !

...and discussions like this go to show that there is no "best" GB, even though we probably all agree that an Arc makes sense at some point.
Sure ... but they help each player to find their path through the Wilderness .

My focus is on FP-producing buildings (GB and Special) on the road to levelling all GBs to 101 ... to the total exclusion of all the other goodies that FoE has to offer .

In that vein ... I only focus on Seven GBs .

Last edited by a moderator:

Amy Steele

General
Apologies for the delayed reply here. No-one managed to post at the winning time this week, which was:
#17.PNG

therefore we have a rollover. Look out for the new thread, which will be posted very soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.