• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Closed Week #12 2017-07-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking of winning, it is easy to forget just how good spearmen are! I accidentally attacked the wrong player and found my 8 spearmen were up against an EMA army. OK, so there were only six defenders but they included 2 heavies, a light and 3 archers. I thought "what the hell" since spearmen are so darn easy to produce.

Enemy: 6 EMA units dead
Me: 3 spearmen dead!

The plunder wasn't too bad, either :)

DeletedUser110195

2 armored infantry, 1 merc, 3 mounted archers. This is why I refuse to autobattle anything....that defending army would've wiped the floor with your spearfighters if a player had been controlling them.

DeletedUser108047

Auto battle is very useful in GvG when you have a distinct advantage, a traz with lots of troops and boost and you want to inflict the maximum amount of pain in the shortest amount of time.. The trick is to be able to quickly assess the terrain and defence and make a decision. With the standard 7+1 attack I usually move my +1 safely then go auto. If you have the right match up - can't lose.

It also is very useful on the AA GvG map because of the spear defence tactic - really the only way to chew through 80 battles of spears without going crazy...

Auto battle also relieves boredom... losing a few troops because you shouldn't have gone auto... usually wakes me up!

DeletedUser110195

I'm kinda glad it would be suicide for me to use autobattle(no traz, attack GBs not high enough)doing battles manually helps with points, the less damage you take, the more tower points you get. It helped me out a lot against this one neighbor of mine who must have several thousand disposable traz units by now, which because of this probably autobattles everything, giving me the edge in winning 1st.

2 armored infantry, 1 merc, 3 mounted archers. This is why I refuse to autobattle anything....that defending army would've wiped the floor with your spearfighters if a player had been controlling them.
Yes, had the roles been reversed I would have won, probably by pushing my heavies forward together and leaving everything else back to pick off the wounded.

The AI almost has to do things a little wrong. For example, it has to close and attack, to avoid stalemate. In this specific case, the landscape kept the two armoured infantry apart, allowing my spear to swarm around one without cover of the other (the mounted archers were already down). The Merc caused me most trouble!

But 8 spear are surprisingly threatening. I have often lost heavily - even being defeated - taking 8 IA archers against them. The AI fights well with spear! Those cheap little guys are often under rated.

DeletedUser110195

The AI almost has to do things a little wrong. For example, it has to close and attack
On a recent loss to my neighborhood rival for the PE tower, she used 2 heavies, 2 light and 4 rogues. The champ I have on defense inexplicably drove up to an adjacent tile to a rogue and attacked...why? What the hell why would the AI do this? The damn thing has 6 range, why would it get in retaliation range? That more than anything else annoyed me.

I suspect the AI mis-plays rogues because they would have very little value if it didn't!

I agree, though - the rogue thing (and Grenadiers) is poorly done.

DeletedUser110195

I say they could make the AI defending cities the same AI that does map battles, there would still be GE to give rogues value, attacking a city would require some thought be given to the army you attack with. Most people attacking with rogues go 7 rogues 1 regular unit. I go 4 and 4, like my 'hood rival(though I picked ranged and artillery, different units they're strong against but better range)

Status
Not open for further replies.