• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Implemented: Visual improvement when polishing a city

Do you support this Idea

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

DeletedUser

Proposal: Our Guild has a policy of visiting each member on a daily basis to motivate/polish as requested by that member. One thing I have noticed in my time of doing this, as cities get bigger and more complex, is that it's very easy to miss that little white star that shows up over some buildings advising you that they're available for polishing. Many a time I've polished a lesser building (NOT a decoration! GRR@folks that do that lol) only to spot, just as I click, one which would have been more beneficial to the recipient.

My proposal therefore is a simple one - but one which I think would help players doing their duty do it more efficiently... simply change the colour/type of star that shows up when polishing/motivating to the same as the one we see on our own screens that (now) tell you that one of your own buildings needs polishing.

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea.. yup, tried and failed. Hopefully I didn't miss something :)

Reason: Helps make things in-game more visible when visiting. I don't have any kind of abnormal visual impairment (aside from being a little short-sighted), but I can imagine that anyone being even slightly colour-blind would have an incredible job of trying to distinguish those little white stars from an often-white-ish background.

Details: Change white to yellow and bouncing (or similar)

Visual Aids: Well, I can arrange a screen-shot if folks really think it necessary... but I'm pretty sure we've all seen the white vs. yellow stars... and if not... maybe you should get out there and do some polishing ;)

Balance/Abuse Prevention: Nah, no chance of this.

DeletedUser7719

Hey bob! Second guildly I have seen ;); if you're talking about doing the exact opposite of what happened when it came to polishing something (before the recent update), then yea +1 from me. The only problem with this would be that the new members to this game might get confused with a white star over their building.

DeletedUser

Nah Bye. The idea is that at present, when you go to a city to motivate or polish, the stars are white, and mostly stationary. This quite often makes then a tad tricky to spot.
A simple change to the type/colour of the indicators when visiting a city to make them more visible/obvious would be easy enough to do, and would make it a lot easier for folks in a hurry :)

DeletedUser7719

No, when you are about to polish/motivate someone, the stars over all the buildings are silver; bob wants to change the silver stars into gold stars, but is it for polishing (in general) or cultural buildings?

DeletedUser

SlickR - the ones you're talking about are when your OWN buildings are in need of a polish (since the patch before last, at least). I'm talking about the indicators that show above buildings when you're visiting someone elses town to motivate/polish. Quite often, depending on where the indicator above the building is, being white, they blend very easily into the stuff behind them, and I've quite often found myself polishing/motivating something, only to spot something much "jucier" to click on just as I hit the button.

DeletedUser1081

+1 from me, bobdabuilda.
We never see "do me" stars in our own towns, only in other people's, but if gold & bouncing stars would confuse too many people, the "do me" symbol could be changed to little magenta bouncing arrows pointing at the available structures. Or give us a button to set the colour to contrast with the town we're looking at. Please and thank you, dear devs, while I still have a little eyesight left :cool:

DeletedUser1081

Can we add a plea for better visibility for the "idle" moon in our own villages? As it is now the moons over an idle sniper nest and armored car factory are practically invisible. Maybe just positioning them better would be enough, so that they're not against a background of grey. Please and thank you, dear artists and devs!

DeletedUser7719

Or a description when hovering over the moon icon (at the sidebar) telling which buildings are idle...

Katarrh

Private
I agree with this concept -- I also have a very hard time distinguishing which buildings need polishing/motivating, especially as cities get larger and the building graphics get more complex. I would very much like to see different colored stars for polishing, motivating supplies, and motivating coins. I've hit the wrong building as well a number of times, and often I just run out of time to polish everyone in the guild because I've been hunting over the screen.

I also see no benefit in having two separate buttons for Motivate or Polish, it's just an extra step that makes no real difference. One button and 3 different colored stars that bounce would make an enormous difference to me in my enjoyment of the game.

DeletedUser

+1 to the idea of a different colour - it is difficult often to find the stars in large and complex cities.

-1 to the idea that they should bounce - this provides more animations in other players' cities which may need to be disabled for page-loading purposes and the bouncing can be very very annoying. I'm sure there were complaints about bouncing symbols above other buildings in another thread....

DeletedUser13082

Therefore this is an idea that should be moved to the Already Suggested section.

No this should be moved to implemented. The images which come over buildings when motivated or polished did change (to a small extent).

Also this idea was posted back in 2012 and the thread hasn't been used for over a year. Why do people feel the need to post in them again? Would be better is threads were deleted and a certain time period of inactivity.

DeletedUser7719

No this should be moved to implemented. The images which come over buildings when motivated or polished did change (to a small extent).
It is not very similar and/or implemented. True both ideas are so that the stars are more visible, but bobdabuilda's idea is just so that the buildings that can be motivated are more visible with a gold star while Overtype's idea is for an easier to see which buildings a player wants motivated.
Therefore this is an idea that should be moved to the Already Suggested section.
Which idea are you talking about? This thread was made before Overtype's, but even if you consider both to be similar, Overtype made his thread more specific, so neither ideas should be moved there IMO (I would actually go far enough to suggest that overtype's should be moved to popular, but people are trying to get the ideas forum updated, so moving anything would interfere with it ;)
Why do people feel the need to post in them again? Would be better is threads were deleted and a certain time period of inactivity.
You're acting like the thread was highly disliked. Threads themselves go inactive because the idea hasn't been implemented and the OP (or anyone who likes the idea) gets tired of trying to promote it back to the top. (If you're going to reply to this, do it here: http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?25094-Ideas-for-the-Ideas-Forum)

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryB

Private
6 months on from this discussion and no change has been made, In my eyes, anyway.
I struggle to see the silver stars, moons etc. maybe my eyesight is not as good as it should be.
Maybe an option for a Hi Viz display for those whose eyesight is no longer 20-20.

DeletedUser99588

We never see "do me" stars in our own towns, only in other people's, but if gold & bouncing stars would confuse too many people, the "do me" symbol could be changed to little magenta bouncing arrows pointing at the available structures. Or give us a button to set the colour to contrast with the town we're looking at. Please and thank you, dear devs, while I still have a little eyesight left

+1

Can we add a plea for better visibility for the "idle" moon in our own villages? As it is now the moons over an idle sniper nest and armored car factory are practically invisible. Maybe just positioning them better would be enough, so that they're not against a background of grey. Please and thank you, dear artists and devs!

+1

a description when hovering over the moon icon (at the sidebar) telling which buildings are idle...

+1

I think the current colour system is discriminatory against those with impaired vision. If I was inclined to be cynical I would suspect the developers have chosen the current colours on purpose to force the more visually challenged players into using the auto collect.

DeletedUser97579

At the very least, a "It's hiding behind the town hall stupid" prompt when it says there's something to motivate and I'm too damn stubborn to give up until I've found it ;)

DeletedUser1081

Or a description when hovering over the moon icon (at the sidebar) telling which buildings are idle...

When we click on the sidebar moon it causes a zoom-in on the idle building. For me that's fair enough.
The harvest sidebar doesn't do that because it's trying to get us to pay diamonds for automatic collection, but that's another story. I think.