• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Visual Enhancement to Identify Which Building Units Come From

DeletedUser

Proposal:

Within each military building, allow players to choose a colour for units within that building so that they can easily differentiate, when selecting units to attack or defend, between different buildings.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?

Nothing similar that I could find (searching for unit or army did not bring up any similar suggestions).

Reason:

To allow players to select which building they want to pick troops from.

Details:

Give a choice of 6-8 high-contrast colours within each military building that players can pick from and highlight units from that building in the colour picked. Units not belonging to any building (i.e. quest rewards) should not have any colour.

When selecting units for attack or defence then show the unit's colour on it's portrait.

Possibly extend this so that the colour is shown on the unit's portrait on friendly units (NOT enemy units) during battles.

Visual Aids:

forgeofempiresunitcolou.png

Selection of colours on the left-hand side and unit portraits showing the current colour selection.

forgeofempiresunitcolou.png

Units selected for attack/defence showing their colours for the different buildings (including one without colour indicating it is a quest reward).​

Balance:

This is available to all players and is a visual enhancement only so should be balanced.

Abuse Prevention:

No immediate thoughts as to how this could be abused; it just allows players to better manage their unit selection.

DeletedUser

+1. I always wondered whether some indication would be introduced as to which unit came from which barrack/range etc. in case of multiple identical buildings. I believe this will somewhat balance the long healing time as you could prevent that any possible casualties all come from the same building and therefore prevent excessive accumulated healing periods.

DeletedUser

I would love to see something like this, for the reason stated above by LadyMedea as well as not having to worry about killing off those precious units gotten as quest rewards that I rather save for my defense.

~Mutzena~

DeletedUser5026

Aye, +1 to the idea. For reasons that both LadyMedea and Mutzena have given.

L.R.

DeletedUser1094

Hi Martynius, Thanks for your proposal...

This idea has been suggested before...even more then once, but it's still a good idea. It has always received a lot of +'s, and I hope to see it implemented sometime in the future.

+1 from me.

DeletedUser

+1 vote here.

I have wondered if the developers left us guessing what barrack the unit came from in order to make attacking more complicated?

On a related note. Why can't we view the barracks when we are building another unit? I can often look in my barracks and count the wounded units, then by process of elimination tell where the ones that are left came from. But I cannot do it while building a new unit. Or is there some way?

DeletedUser

+1 here. Always wanted to know what unit came from which building. Sometimes you send them to battle, and instead of picking all 4 from the same building, then you have to wait 16 hours to get those 4 troops back, I would rather send 1 troop from 4 different buildings, so then I only waste 4 hours gaining 4 troops back.

DeletedUser

+ From me too. Very frustrating to send 8 spearmen at horses and lose 3 and then find they all came from the same barracks.

DeletedUser

Hi Martynius, Thanks for your proposal...

This idea has been suggested before...even more then once, but it's still a good idea. It has always received a lot of +'s, and I hope to see it implemented sometime in the future.

+1 from me.

Thanks for the +1s.

I've searched several times now for people posting this idea and can't find it before in the ideas section - can you provide me a link to where it was previously suggested?

DeletedUser1094

I've searched several times now for people posting this idea and can't find it before in the ideas section - can you provide me a link to where it was previously suggested?
If I could, I would have done so... (...and would have yelled at you, for not using the search-utility :p)
...but I'm afraid, that is one of those ideas that got lost, when the old idea-section got wiped out. (we lost a lot of good proposals at that time)

DeletedUser

Very good idea, especially as units get longer and longer to train. Losing two long range units from the same building can take a very long time to re-build.

+1

DeletedUser8813

+1

yes this is a good idea ,i have 4 xbow buildings and i randomly select troops to fight lose them and oops they all come from the same building so its 32 hours to rebuild instead of 4

DeletedUser

32 hours to rebuild instead of 4

Hmmmm 4 x 5 = 20 so this is just exaggeration? Still, the idea is good and the only negative would be the quirky designers wanting us to lose the freebies the quests give us simply because we cannot keep track of where they are. The game designers should spend less time on quirkiness and more time on functionality, IMHO

DeletedUser7798

+1 only new ages can cover the disadvantage those who have not filtered out the units from quest reward and put them in defence have. its basically a 2 colonial age military buildings advantage, which is a lot. it is not impossible to filter the units out, but i have chosen not to for the same reasons i wont have defence up before neighbourhood becomes a threat, i will not point-feed the winners of a unbalanced pvp system. until dragoons are in place having defence up is just silly in this PTW game. my price for being a contender, is a 2 building disadvantage.

DeletedUser

This was an idea that got proposed over six months ago, but I'd still like to see it
+1 from me :)

DeletedUser5514

Well structured proposal... fully support from me too with top priority. I suppose it cannot be that hard to implement.

DeletedUser11988

I thought in another thing to cover this problem.

The units don't belong to a building. So if you have 2 buildings of the same unit, both buildings can create units until a max of 8. That's easy, I think :)