• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Upgrading military and production building

DeletedUser111096

With the military bases and production building, it would be good if once you have completed the research for each area that you are able to upgrade the buildings for a cost rather then selling them and rebuilding.

The cost could still be the requirement of so many in population and goods.

DeletedUser110195

Those buildings do not always have the same size, and later in the progressive era and on, some require 2-lane roads, so upgrading them in this way would not be possible.

Early on, I too have wanted to play Civilization on FoE but that isn't how it works. The inability to upgrade is definitely part of the strategy of the game.

DeletedUser103370

I agree with both sides, though keep in mind upgrading could be done differently too!
For example clicking on upgrade could lift up the building, just like when you plan to build one, showing the new building, then you just build it the usual way! The cost could be instantly calculated the same way, as if you were demolishing, then building the new one, making no difference in price.

This is a very good idea which would only change the way we interact, not the concept or strategy of the game.
★★★★★

joesoap

Major-General
selling a building & building a new 1 in its place takes very little time so i'm not sure why it needs to be changed so -1

DeletedUser103370

selling a building & building a new 1 in its place takes very little time so i'm not sure why it needs to be changed so -1

Doing the same thing with one click takes even less time, so I'm not sure why shouldn't it be better...
Finding and utilizing the most efficient ways makes the difference between a good game, and a brilliant one.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

Doing the same thing with one click takes even less time, so I'm not sure why shouldn't it be better...
Finding and utilizing the most efficient ways makes the different between a good game, and a brilliant one.
While I'm all for finding new ways to streamline the game, I don't see this being somewhere you can do that. You can already click and drag houses of the same size on top of one another to skip the step of selling a building. The only way I could see this working, is if the game allowed you to drag and drop ANY building on top of another, to replace it if there's enough room for the new building, but to do it from a button on the building itself can't work, because the building sizes change frequently.

DeletedUser103370

While I'm all for finding new ways to streamline the game, I don't see this being somewhere you can do that. You can already click and drag houses of the same size on top of one another to skip the step of selling a building. The only way I could see this working, is if the game allowed you to drag and drop ANY building on top of another, to replace it if there's enough room for the new building, but to do it from a button on the building itself can't work, because the building sizes change frequently.

It's not exactly the same as @Constantine the Sly 932 proposed, but let me explain it step by step then, how would I make it work, with a house for example:
  • you click an upgrade button on a house
  • house gets lifted up, changing it's silhouette for the newer one (or it wouldn't even change automatically, depends how could we rank the houses, since you have different types in the same era too)
  • at the same time of course the building panel comes up too
  • at this point you can either put down the new house with a click, or you can choose a different one from the standard building panel
  • and of course it would instantly show how much the change would cost (and the price would be exactly the same as if you were deleting the old building first, then building the new one)
With a method like this, you'd save a couple of clicks, for example you wouldn't have to bring up the building menu manually, you wouldn't have to sell the house separately, on top of that you'd have an absolutely clear picture how much will it cost you.

It's not a biggie, nothing special about it, still I think it'd be a more streamlined way.

Last edited by a moderator: