• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

upgrade/downgrade houses

DeletedUser2029

Proposal:
add the ability to upgrade or downgrade houses to increase income or population per house

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
currently there are none

Reason:
it's a silly reason because the idea is silly; realism. I think that each type of house should be adapted to 3 social classes: peasants, citizens and aristocracy (low income - high population, high income - low population, current houses as "normal")

Details:
there are 4 variables that can be changed to accomplish this idea; space, production time, income and population.
- to change the production time has been suggested, it's a bad idea because we already have those kind of alternatives
- to change the size of houses means some (a lot) extra designing and programming, so no
- changing the income/population is workable because they can be co-dependent, so I propose three types of houses
citizens - houses we have now, no change
peasants - low income, high population (normal income becomes 50% of citizens house, population increases by 25%, or in case of Roof tile house: 9 coins in 15 minutes (11 at 120% happiness), population 55)
aristocracy - high income, low population (normal income becomes 120% of citizens house, population decrease by 25%, or in case of Roof tile House: 21 coins in 15 minutes (23 at 120% happiness), population 33)

Visual Aids:
none needed

Balance:
add an indicator to the mouseover cloud that a house was enhanced (simple U or D), this should be hidden from other players, if possible
the option to up/downgrade should come up in the pop-up menu when clicking on a house (players should have the option to up/downgrade each house separately)

Abuse Prevention:
I get that this might be put in the "make myself richer" category, but I tried to balance things with current ingame ratios.
as for creating imbalance, consider this
if you upgrade your RtH, that means you get more money, but you lost an entire house on every 4 built
if you downgrade your RtH, you gained some extra space but for every built you need to build at least another decoration to keep your happiness at 120%
this might look like people would start building slow peasant houses and fast aristocratic houses but consider that that much of an income loss on slow houses might not pay off for less active players (they might welcome the option tho gain more money with slow houses, especially in the beggining if they're in large guild/neighborhood)

also, give the option to upgrade and downgrade each house only one time (basically for a large sum of coins and supplies, player could try this option and return to a normal house)

Summary:
adding realism is a silly reason and this is not something I strongly support, but I do feel that the current housing system is too restrictive and some diversity wouldn't hurt.

DeletedUser

How would you determine how a house upgrades?

Also, hasn't upgrading and downgrading of buildings been denied in Discussion threads and earlier ideas?
Contrary to that, Checkered Jester has responded to an idea about upgrading here: Click me

As for housing being restrictive.. If you want houses with low income or 'peasants', build Huts. If you want houses with high income, build your current Age's 'big population' house.
I think that's pretty much the same thing in upgrading/downgrading. If you'd implement numbers in between that per Age per house, it'd be too much of a mess/hassle, in my opinion.

- L

DeletedUser2029

How would you determine how a house upgrades?

have you actually read the "Details" section?

as for upgrades being discussed, maybe "upgrade" is the wrong term in this discussion because you don't actually up/downgrade anything. I was using it in social strata sense, because I don't think that the current housing situation properly reflects "reality" (slow houses may be interpreted as poor houses when you compare income, but visually, they're actually an improvement)
also, the "normal" houses are actually diamond houses (if you apply the social strata division) but even they are "upgraded" (income AND population) in comparison with non-diamond houses. I wouldn't mind if this idea would become a premium feature, even if that meant that we could have 4 hour houses for just coins and supplies

as for mess/hassle,I admit that this might get confusing for noobs, but I offered solutions for that

DeletedUser4800

I like the Caesar 3 aspect of your suggestion, but I don't think it will work in this game and you already have the similar option in the houses you research.

Shorter hour houses give more gold per hour but less population and longer hour buildings give less gold per hour but more population.

DeletedUser7719

might as well say, "i wish there was a third house to research every age" because the lower (interval) house gives you more money, and the higher house gives you more population