• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Update Update 1.59

DeletedUser

Please discuss the update in this thread. You can find the announcement HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5180

Direct attack - originally announced in 1.57 changelog, but as it turned out, the feature needed some additional work, so we delayed it in order to provide better functionality. From now on you can attack units semi-automatically, by just clicking them. If the enemy unit you have chosen can be reached (represented by red sword icon), your current unit will move to an available position and attack the enemy:

this is not really accurate and has been twisted from what actually happened.

Direct Attack was in fact release in update 1.57 on the 6th august, so it was not delayed as today's announcement says but was in fact introduced as planned and was later pulled on the 11th due to not functioning properly which is confirmed in a reply to the original announcement for update 1.57 (see below)

*UPDATE*

Due to your feedback, we have made the decision to temporarily turn off the Direct Attack feature until we have resolved the issues.

We would like to thank you for your valuable feedback and hope to have it reactivated soon.

is there a reason for the misleading announcement for update 1.59 or is it simply to disguise the facts that yet again something was released which was not properly tested.?

welcome to EN ........ the official FoE testing area

DeletedUser107724

Welcome to the business world where it is a policy to twist the words so that you are always the saint. Technical glitch that obliterates the site and customers can't do anything with your service? No problem - just tell them it's maintenance :D

DeletedUser16026

Hey folks,

The description under the direct attack feature was indeed what happened but for all other markets, as they get the update a bit later than us. It is true that it was misleading for EN and it has now been edited. Apologies for the confusion and thanks for pointing that out. :)

@glavic - as mentioned there the timeline for implementation was subject to change, but the feature was already in development. As mentioned in the letter from the development team there were certain things which had to be prioritized at the time. Hopefully now things should go faster and as that feature was already in development it shouldn't take long before it's finalized.

DeletedUser653

Darkstar, thanks for clearing up the issue over direct attacking.

one point on troop management since it was brought up

What about this > https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?29290-Army-Management-Unit-Sorting > you said this will be implemented in 1.55, and here is 1.59 without this 5min fix! :(

Whys is this post locked? is this just to stop it becoming a 86 page thread?
A little concerned that the OP's first post was not very detailed and then we get told that its being developed as per the OP's post, Could someone please confirm the spec that the developers are working to?

DeletedUser16026

All threads in the "Forwarded" area are read-only and cannot be responded to. From one side this is how the ideas have been presented to the devs so we do not want further edits, and on the other hand the devs are aware of the idea so there is not much to add.

What is presented in that idea thread is something that is already in development.

DeletedUser12400

What about this > https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?29290-Army-Management-Unit-Sorting > you said this will be implemented in 1.55, and here is 1.59 without this 5min fix! :(
Darkstar actually wrote that it will not be implemented in 1.55 ;)
I did check upon the situation and I can see the feature is pretty much ready but we cannot make a promise that it will be coming with the next update (it won't be in 1.55, dunno about 1.56 yet). Hopefully it is soon enough though.

DeletedUser653

hi guys, quick question on the update. it says
Negative Diamonds were sometimes displayed as positive.
how does one get negative diamonds?
thanks

DeletedUser98483

As I said before on the subject of the Direct Attack feature....if it ain't broke don't fix it! We don't NEED a semi automatic mode.

Please delete this - no one that battles regularly needs it. Again, after this update, I have stealths being moved by the program from cover out into the open....result means I lose units that should not be lost and wouldn't be lost if I was able to control the battle manually which I want to do. If this was a bugfix, I can't see what has changed from the first time it was pushed on us.

DeletedUser7719

Please delete this - no one that battles regularly needs it. Again, after this update, I have stealths being moved by the program from cover out into the open....result means I lose units that should not be lost and wouldn't be lost if I was able to control the battle manually which I want to do. If this was a bugfix, I can't see what has changed from the first time it was pushed on us.
Just to confirm, the unit you were attacking was in range (without anymore need of movement), and you when you tried to attack it, it's still forcing you to move? Which unit were you attacking with and what unit were you attempting to attack?

I just tried it myself and I was able to attack manually with no problem. Using direct attack, the unit obviously ignores the terrain, so it makes it less useful but faster than manual, and it was more useful but slower than the finish automatically button.

DeletedUser98483

Just to confirm, the unit you were attacking was in range (without anymore need of movement), and you when you tried to attack it, it's still forcing you to move? Which unit were you attacking with and what unit were you attempting to attack?

I just tried it myself and I was able to attack manually with no problem. Using direct attack, the unit obviously ignores the terrain, so it makes it less useful but faster than manual, and it was more useful but slower than the finish automatically button.

The scenario is when a unit is in range but the only way to attack is to place the stealth in an open i.e. non-plains hex. If you want to move forward but maintain cover, the AI moves the stealth onto the open hex and attacks. Admittedly, I've had a few more battles now using other units and it is nowhere near as bad as the original release but I still question why this is needed. We have a manual and an auto mode. Those of us that battle manually will make best use of the terrain according to the units we have deployed, those that battle for speed or are still learning will use auto. As we all know, there are still many issues to be addressed so why still spend time on a program which no one asked for.

DeletedUser653

Just tried the semi auto and if my units do not need to move to hit something they stay where they are and fire. not always good because if your were fighting manually you might move unit to better place for attack/defence bonus or closer for attack boost. Its really a very gimmicky feature which is not quick like auto or accurate like manual.
I cannot remember seeing any 86 page tread even asking for it.

DeletedUser16126

As I said before on the subject of the Direct Attack feature....if it ain't broke don't fix it! We don't NEED a semi automatic mode.

I do all my PvP manually, this features saves me quite some time.
Now without moving my curser I can finish a unit just by clicking on it, I only need to verify that the type of hex it will go to is a good one (eg. for stealth). And indeed sometimes you make a misjudgement on the type of hex it will move to and you'll loose your unit.
But most of the time it's a good one, so it can go much quicker than before.

DeletedUser6065

' . . . how does one get negative diamonds? thanks'

This issue was broached in forum in February, 2013 and again in August, 2013. At that time it was determined that diamonds were a personal issue and should not be discussed in open forum. The problem needed to be resolved through a support ticket. As such, both threads were closed, and [at this time] I am unable to find any further explanations as to what the problem is/was. Interesting to note, the bug report of August, 2013 was classified Not a Bug.

. . . mk
**Forum info from 2013. Sheesh! I gotta get a life.**

bilboman

Corporal
Just tried the semi auto and if my units do not need to move to hit something they stay where they are and fire. not always good because if your were fighting manually you might move unit to better place for attack/defence bonus or closer for attack boost. Its really a very gimmicky feature which is not quick like auto or accurate like manual.
I cannot remember seeing any 86 page tread even asking for it.

I find this feature useless and very unhelpful (meaning the opposite of helpful) and would prefer if it was removed or at least made optional (if you don't want it, you should be able to turn it off).

DeletedUser653

I find this feature useless and very unhelpful (meaning the opposite of helpful) and would prefer if it was removed or at least made optional (if you don't want it, you should be able to turn it off).

+1 I agree