• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Unresearch a technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser100832

I think it's hypocritical to talk about others making the game easier whilst high-level arc and chateau are still allowed, so +1.

DeletedUser16126

-1, you have to make decisions, finish quest or stay in that age, don't want the option to have the benefith of both.
I know Artic age sucks at the moment, but cope with it if you entered it!
Instead of this change it would be better to add usefull content to that age

DeletedUser109385

We really don't need to explain why we don't like particular ideas. You can ask and we can kindly refuse. Its not good or bad.. Its just the way it is.. In my opinion this makes the game easier and should be even in the list - Don't Suggest. I just see Huge Abuse..
If some work is needed to obtain that thing which is making the game "easier" then it's not making the game easier and in my opinion it makes this balanced, if you research something you can unresearch that too, makes sense right?

I think it's hypocritical to talk about others making the game easier whilst high-level arc and chateau are still allowed, so +1.
True, I don't why those kind of ideas are accepted by the community.

How would expansion tech research but unsearched if the expansion has been used?
What if a buildings/deco has been built for a research you want to un-search? And if its an age head after unsearching?
If you move into new age and want to move back, does GB's producing goods move back as well?
What if an event building is won after moving into new age , does it stay for that age or move down an age after unsearching?

There is so many things that would need to be addressed and the amount of time/coding Inno would have to do, we could get a few new ages instead.
Right thanks for the pointers.

Way too many abuses for what is a pretty minor change.
ABUSES? HOW????

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12400

Some players(like me) want to stay in a particular age when they don't want to move on to the next age, some quests including the ones YOU HAVE to do requires you to research a technology, if you research a technology then the player will move on to the next age which the players doesn't want, unresearching the technology will make them research that technology again so they can complete that particular quest.
Your idea is killing purpose of this quest and makes it easier to complete.. What other functions does unreasearching provides besides finishing quest easier? We all want something and in your case if you and others want to stay in particular age then this is your price. In the end in your place I would suggest alternative option e.g. "Scout a province or donate 50 forge points" rather then this complicated stuff only because of this quest.

DeletedUser103052

Proposal:

Abuse Prevention:
There is actually abuse, when a player from a higher age has built barracks of units of that high age the player will then unresearch all the way to lower ages so they can abuse that neighborhood with their high age units so here is a way to prevent it, when the player does unresearch along with their higher age units all the way to lower age units then their units damage and defense is going to lower more and more as they lower through ages to make it fair for the lower age players.

You named an abuse yourself. This alone to me is enough to not warrant making this change.

In addition to this you have;
People unreseaching from lower ages to complete quests that should be harder for them.
The potential to build goods buildings and any other buildings from higher ages then decreasing their age so they are in an easier neighbourhood with a huge advantage.
Do you get to keep all the expansions from unresearched techs? If so, then you could re-research them and that would be a big problem. If not then how do you remove an expansion from a city?

To me it is way more trouble than it's worth, if you're at the end of the tech trees then those quests complete automatically anyway, so just do that instead of complicating a system that already functions well.

DeletedUser109385

You named an abuse yourself. This alone to me is enough to not warrant making this change.

In addition to this you have;
People unreseaching from lower ages to complete quests that should be harder for them.
The potential to build goods buildings and any other buildings from higher ages then decreasing their age so they are in an easier neighbourhood with a huge advantage.
Do you get to keep all the expansions from unresearched techs? If so, then you could re-research them and that would be a big problem. If not then how do you remove an expansion from a city?

To me it is way more trouble than it's worth, if you're at the end of the tech trees then those quests complete automatically anyway, so just do that instead of complicating a system that already functions well.
Honestly who would want to waste over 160FBs just to get a few buildings from higher ages and not be able to build them again? No, you don't get to keep expansions from unreseached tech.

DeletedUser109385

And you don't see how much of an abuse that is? You cannot be able to 'unresearch' techs and keep the benefits, that's ridiculous.
As I always keep on saying they have their benefit which they paid for and plus giving away many FBs for it. You won't except someone to just waste FBs to unresearch for nothing and pay for it for nothing that's ridiculous.

DeletedUser

But if you've 'paid' the research cost for an unplaced expansion, why would you lose it from your building menu then? Bottom line, you want this idea in order to play this game in a way which is obviously counter to its design and you have spared little or no thought to its implication and effect on everyday play.

Galladhorn

Monarch

I have freinds that want to stay in lower ages, and they do get very high stats on e.g their GB´s. Will beat much higher teched players with lower tech units and have a good laugh about it. But this game is a combo of a City/Tech builder, Questline, Trading and various Battle games + all the Bonus Events. Playing the game as it was meant to be, means advancing on the tech tree, doing quest and developing your city or Empire if your wish. Quests means essentially going through a challenge thus learning something. I´m not saying that theres is heaps of things to learn from the Quests when you have played the game for a long time but never the less that is what a quest is. You can´t both have the cake and eat the cake".
This would be my main reason not to give your idea a +1.

but

In the moment there is also another discussion running and that is related to going from FE to AA Era - since when entering the AA era there are more Cons than Pros. Many players would "and perhaps wisely" stay longer in FE era and not go to the end of the current AA tech tree. Till the promethium harbour came there was little to use those AA Era goods for, so they where difficult to trade down and are still not really in demand. But for unrefined goods the Robots and Magnets etc. had some momentum early on - So a trade off. Unit wise the Raiguns are still the "Über´s" even being FE and AA have not brought much radical or alternative units - The recent Battlefortress appears weak, mostly due to the Railguns being so good as they are. So players considering to stay in FE would propeply and with good reasons like your idea just for that. But esssentially that raises some other questions, where the essentials of your idea could have value, but would properly be solved quite differently.

Third but not least - if we should stay in game terminology and not only look at the numbers, stats and what will make the best, then it would take something like a civilization crackdown to unlearn a technology or essential skill, at least in the time periods that is part of FoE. We do not forget how to make steel, roads etc. So conceptually your idea lack something that makes sense to the story of the game it self. It´s a fix to a problem that does not erally exists, till you reach the end of the tech tree. And also there it does not exists since Quests requireing you to do certain things like exploring a new sector is automatically checked. and one can still do the quest.

The simple fix to your play style is entering a new era and then only tech when a quest requires your to do so. That would still buy you quite some time in that Era.

Last edited:

DeletedUser109385

This thread should be closed as I can see no one likes the idea

Status
Not open for further replies.