• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Unit Guide

AleskioForum

Private
- Hello guys! in this thread I will try and check a few of the more advanced eras units that could make use a bit of help and would change the fighting meta quite a bit and make it more fun and balanced.(Combat for me seems like a very important part of the game. it is what brings competition, dynamic and fun to a game like FoE which on the first glance seems more like a city simulator)
- Also I will rent and somehow provide a guide to how units work in each of the following eras. Hope you enjoy!

• COLONIAL AGE ,( we are starting off in colonial because for me this is the first age in which fighting takes a bit of a turn, not much but to be noticed) - pretty balanced age overall I would give it an 8/10

- The Ranger ,( first light unit that has a special ability that makes him invisible and invulnerable in the forest terrain. Even tho this ability is inconsistent cause of how terrain is randomly generated at the beginning of a battle, the ranger is a very solid unit that is indeed the jack of all trades, can take around 3-4 shots before going down from all other units and it's dmg it's quite nice) 8/10
-
The musketeer ,(Nothing really new from previous era ranged troops just better stats and longer rage. This units inclines to being on the stronger side of the classes. It really hurts whatever it hits and it's range and mobility allow it in some specific scenarios to stay at a safe distance in which the light and heavy unit can't catch up to it, the only real counters are other musketeers and dragoons which are the weak part of this age, gonna talk about them later. Artillery needs around 3 hits to take it down and in case the enemy also has it's own artillery you should not focus this first. Overall a bit strong but not game breaking could see a very tiny bit of decrease in dmg, just a bit tho.) 9/10
-
The grenadier ,(first ranged heavy unit in the game, it can safely engage any melee unit from 2 tile distance and deal a quite good amount of dmg without retalion, from this point of view you would think that the grenadier is very strong right? Well not really since the musketeers are pretty strong in this age they go down very easily, their mobility is reduced just like any heavy unit and in most cases even a ranger can put a good fight against this unit, it is a bit more situational but I think it is ok how It is, because when it doesn't face a big threat and the terrain is good for it to go to the other side of the map in 3 moves it can devastate everything in it's path. Honestly it's a hard way to buff this unit just a bit so it doesn't become too powerful, I would increase the defense bonus it gets against rangers just a very little margin cause it seems like if 2 rangers focus a grenadier at once he is left with 3-4 points of health very easily,(on good terrain). 7/10
-
The Dragoon ,( you would think that the name of this units Is representative for a powerful and dangerous creature which it is indeed but when it comes to our Dragoon the story is quite different. He is just like any other fast unit..umm fast and good against range units yeah that,s it. Basic as fffffffk, loses against everything and even if you put 3-4 of these and you have 3-4 ranged units they can't do much cause they waste 2 hits to kill one of your ranged unit and then they get ganked on by everyone and killed before they make an impact. And if you are way too patient with them the enemy artillery and musketeers do work while you basically have some units that do nothing but wait. Not much to be said if it gets better it's a problem but what would be pretty cool is if it had some sort of ability that if you travel more than around 6 spaces it would deal 1 adițional point of DMG, not very helpful since they take 2 hits to kill a ranged unit,(and that is their job) no matter what but it would make them more potent against other melees, just a bit.) 5.5/10
-
The Field Cannon ,( oh boy we are almost there! Now for the field cannon it is a mediocre cannon, it gets overrun pretty easily it's special ability is kinda useless if you ask me and it takes a lot to kill something with it, but for cannon it does it job, it pokes ranged units pretty well, it can hit almost anywhere on the map and against the right composition of enemies it is the best choice even better than the musketeers, give it a bit of defense maybe so it survives 3 hits if the roll number is lucky for the unit) 7/10 unit

- Now this has been going for awhile and it is much to read I don't really know if anyone find it valueble or interesting in any way but I won't continue yet I just want a bit of feedback. If you guys like it I may try to continue putting effort in making more of this. Until then have a good one folks

Emberguard

Legend
Keep in mind the usefulness of a unit will change somewhat depending on if you're doing Auto-Battle or Manual fighting and whether or not you're pairing them with Rogues

Grenadier is arguably the best unit of Colonial Age due to how it performs on Auto-Battle when paired with Rogues. But if that's not your strategy then which Unit is the best might change. Also depends on what Units you're up against

AleskioForum

Private
Keep in mind the usefulness of a unit will change somewhat depending on if you're doing Auto-Battle or Manual fighting and whether or not you're pairing them with Rogues

Grenadier is arguably the best unit of Colonial Age due to how it performs on Auto-Battle when paired with Rogues. But if that's not your strategy then which Unit is the best might change. Also depends on what Units you're up against
Oh yes, thank you for your response! I am considering manual fighting with a general preview without taking rogues or buffs that much in consideration in this preview. I think grenadiers can be top yes especially with rogues against the right comp. Still I think from stats wise and my personal experience rangers have an upper hand but not by much