• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Trading

Hedonist58

Private
As an HMA player i need to purchase first age goods, I want to offer bricks for wine
normale rate are 8 BA for 1 HMA
but I cannot make that trade the systems tells me I can only trade between 0.5 and 2
IMHO
a) the in game merchandbots should be held to the same restriction instead of 0.1 rates
b) this restriction is not in order

DeletedUser110295

+1
as can't think of how this could be a bad thing - certainly would help with more fair trading in the market across multiple ages. although seems rather logical so perhaps there have been prior discussions elsewhere with reasons for why it's been rejected?

Hedonist58

Private
I will probaly offer buy EMA goods with my HMA produce and IA with EMA and the BA with IA goods
The problem I have is that the game limits a player to a 0.5 - 2 range whcih I can live with but then there is the fact that
the merchant bot is at 0.1 rate for same age trade so I woudl expect the bot to adhere to the same regulations ...
In other words allows the bot to steal produce ..

DeletedUser110433

Trading is part of game strategy. It is a bit difficult with current setting and that is good. Work smart or work a lot(or have connections if possible)

Vesiger

Monarch
The merchants are offering rip-off rates to the desperate - if you're reduced to buying from them, then they already know that it's because you can't get the goods elsewhere :P

DeletedUser108240

The merchants are offering rip-off rates to the desperate - if you're reduced to buying from them, then they already know that it's because you can't get the goods elsewhere :P
To progress you must have researched most (sometime all) the goods producing buildings in earlier ages. Trading for goods at 10:1 is a lot more expensive than producing them yourself in low-efficiency goods building that produce 2 instead of ten pr 8 hour cycle.

Hedonist58

Private
To progress you must have researched most (sometime all) the goods producing buildings in earlier ages. Trading for goods at 10:1 is a lot more expensive than producing them yourself in low-efficiency goods building that produce 2 instead of ten pr 8 hour cycle.
@Vesiger there are no players behind the merchants they are the game (bots programmed in the game) .
so basically the game is stealing produce...

what I was saying is that if players are held back by the game rules/settings form dealing good according to their cost of production
as listed in this guide : https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com...-buildings-units-towers-and-expansions.28247/
but are confined by the game settings to deal in ratios betweeen 0.5-1 and 2-1 then that should also apply to the bots

I produce on average 50 units for each of teh 2 resources given per age for the last and the current age but in order to trade goods I shoudl be able to buy goods 8-1 form my current age-3 that woudl make it fair cost based or discuss other rates with players now i will have to by 2-1 for age-1 and buy with the proceeds 2 age -2 agaisnte -1 age -1 basicaly i have to make multi step trades losing a FP at every step unless I get to make the deal in the market

Vesiger

Monarch
That does occupy city space and population that you might not feel like sparing, though.

@Vesiger there are no players behind the merchants they are the game (bots programmed in the game) .
so basically the game is stealing produce...
The point is that this is the game providing you with a means of obtaining otherwise unavailable goods... at a cost. If you could always buy them from the bots as cheaply as you can from your fellow players, then why would you ever bother to trade with anyone else in your neighbourhood? The high price is SUPPOSED to be a deterrent.

Edit: OVERTYPE - 2017-03-17 - Double Post Merge.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110295

Trading is part of game strategy. It is a bit difficult with current setting and that is good. Work smart or work a lot(or have connections if possible)

Difficulty to some degree can be part of the strategy of a game but not allowing certain trade ratios which just lead to 2-3 trades up or down ages is just plain inefficient. doesn't really add any strategic element, so fail to see how this makes the game better. what downside would there be in allowing more flexible trade ratios? if anything would expect more people to use the market more actively and this would only be a good thing...

DeletedUser110433

what downside would there be in allowing more flexible trade ratios? if anything would expect more people to use the market more actively and this would only be a good thing...
Oh, i can name several. First of all making anything beyond 0.5-2 would take some serious programming, since big ratios were taken out long time ago to not let exploit trading with ratio 8 goods for FPs and other bad trades, making complex tracking system to force fair trades means putting in much more work, and possibly causing more bugs.
Of course implementation difficulty is not a valid reason, so here are some more reasons:
Fair trade ratios change from 2, to aprox 1.66 in the middle of the game, this forces to ether produce yourself or make a bad trade, most folks still stick to ratio 2 not 1.66, now involving more than one era makes things difficult to track what is fair and what is not. Many guilds have fair trade policy, this complicates enforcing proper game etiquette.
Allowing larger ratio would mean you can trade directly refined goods for unrefined this wold help dodge the GB transition to unrefined good production, since you could just trade a few eras up in an instant.
Main point is, with strict and stiffed rules there is less margin for people to try and exploit system. More activity would result in unfavorable trades number going up, and decant ones going down.

Hedonist58

Private
The point is that this is the game providing you with a means of obtaining otherwise unavailable goods... at a cost. If you could always buy them from the bots as cheaply as you can from your fellow players, then why would you ever bother to trade with anyone else in your neighbourhood? The high price is SUPPOSED to be a deterrent.
You have a valid point there I never use th merchants ( lets put it otherwise I have never used the merchants sofar )

Oh, i can name several. First of all making anything beyond 0.5-2 would take some serious programming, since big ratios were taken out long time ago to not let exploit trading with ratio 8 goods for FPs and other bad trades, making complex tracking system to force fair trades means putting in much more work, and possibly causing more bugs.
Of course implementation difficulty is not a valid reason, so here are some more reasons:
Fair trade ratios change from 2, to aprox 1.66 in the middle of the game, this forces to ether produce yourself or make a bad trade, most folks still stick to ratio 2 not 1.66, now involving more than one era makes things difficult to track what is fair and what is not. Many guilds have fair trade policy, this complicates enforcing proper game etiquette.
Allowing larger ratio would mean you can trade directly refined goods for unrefined this wold help dodge the GB transition to unrefined good production, since you could just trade a few eras up in an instant.
Main point is, with strict and stiffed rules there is less margin for people to try and exploit system. More activity would result in unfavorable trades number going up, and decant ones going down.
Valid point
Edit: OVERTYPE - 2017-03-17 - Double Post Merge.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6560

Hi everyone. I've looked around to see if this has been covered before. I can't find it sorry if i've missed it. There are no A.I. trades on the market. I don't have the boost for it. My guild doesn't have the boost and no-one has sold any for weeks. I need it for the Einstein quest. Any help please? Thanks in advance. Oh im on Griefental

Vesiger

Monarch
Not clear what you're asking, but I think you only get merchant trades offered for the goods in your own age, if that's relevant?

DeletedUser6560

Sorry vesiger. What i mean is there are no A.i. goods in my world trades at all. No-one has it. So you can't get it. So you can't progress in the game. I haven't seen it for weeks. Whoever had it is either further on or gone from the game.

DeletedUser110131

The reason for the trade restrictions is to prevent players being helped to advance at an artificially high pace. It also obstructs the related problem of players selling goods for out of game currency (such as money). Of course, allowing higher prices for higher age goods shouldn't be a problem in this regard, nor do I believe that it would be a major technical challenge. It mainly requires some pretty basic database operations, and a bit of fiddling with the UI. Possibly, they're thinking of the need to trade in stages as a game feature. It certainly does mean you have to plan ahead, and it is a strategy game, after all.

In my opinion, the ideal would be to open the trading up entirely, allowing it to become a major game strategy. However, that would require another way of preventing abuse. Unfortunately, I can't think of such a way, and neither, it seems, can Inno.

The notion of holding NPC traders to the same rules as players is meaningless, though. It would make much more sense to remove them entirely. The idea behind the trading is to create a need to have friends and guilds, and to interact with neighbors. We're simply not supposed to use the NPC traders; they're for emergencies only.

Whoever had it is either further on or gone from the game.
This doesn't make any sense, Shy Ted. The NPC traders are a game feature, provided by Inno, and Inno neither moves on nor leaves the game. Barring a major bug, the traders should be there. They'll be at the end of the trades list, though, and won't show at all if you're using the neighborhood or guild filters.