• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

To keep an army or not?

DeletedUser

I came across Forge of Empires as being a 'city building' game which was perfect for me as I'm not interested in fighting battles or going on 'quests'.

My question is... can I get rid of my army to make room for more production and just play as a city building game?

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
You will find it difficult to progress through the tech tree without completing some of the story quests which require fighting, but it is possible.

Luckily in this game if another player attacks you the worst that will happen is that they will plunder a few goods etc. In similar online games your whole city can be destroyed so Forge of Empires is much better for city builders in that respect.

Daiman Rahl

Corporal
I started out in this game building only a regular city. But in time I learnt that the fighting is part of the game so I got into it. AS it's not complicated, and can just be done on auto. I ask you too at least try it. You might like me enjoy it. Read up on it first so you know what buildings to get, and enjoy the game.

Janet Devlin

Corporal
I might try switching my domain I rule over:D as queen (maybe it would be best to switch in different ages? I'm not sure) from war machine to a productive existence only. I like both pursuits but like some people say variety is the spice of life. Though I admit that sometimes I feel like fighting with the natives, I won't buy into the idea that forge of empires is a fighting game only. If that was true then why would the creators of the game make a fall event based on farming?

I can decide for myself to army up or not. Well, sometimes I can. lol

Daiman Rahl

Corporal
I might try switching my domain I rule over:D as queen (maybe it would be best to switch in different ages? I'm not sure) from war machine to a productive existence only. I like both pursuits but like some people say variety is the spice of life. Though I admit that sometimes I feel like fighting with the natives, I won't buy into the idea that forge of empires is a fighting game only. If that was true then why would the creators of the game make a fall event based on farming?

I can decide for myself to army up or not. Well, sometimes I can. lol
Yea like you I have days when I just want to slaughter something. LOL.
Have to agree with you this is not just a fighting game. Otherwise why have all the other buildings.
Hope you enjoy the game in what ever fashion you decide!!!

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
I came across Forge of Empires as being a 'city building' game which was perfect for me as I'm not interested in fighting battles or going on 'quests'.

My question is... can I get rid of my army to make room for more production and just play as a city building game?
You have freedom to do whatever you want with your city, so if you feel yourself as a pacifist, go for it.
But as you probably already know, many of the players who vere pacifists changed their playstyle to fighting, not just because of monotony, but also because fighting is much more beneficial.

Janet Devlin

Corporal
You have freedom to do whatever you want with your city, so if you feel yourself as a pacifist, go for it.
But as you probably already know, many of the players who vere pacifists changed their playstyle to fighting, not just because of monotony, but also because fighting is much more beneficial.
Perhaps it is a perfectly correct determination to say that fighting gains more ground quickly. I don't know for certain. Has anyone ever played the game purely by trading? Who might be able to answer that question I wonder.
Not sure that building cities with a good defense and a restrained offence is being a pacifist? I would like to think of building as a particular game strategy?

Last edited:

Emberguard

Legend
Perhaps you and others are perfectly correct that fighting gains more ground quickly. I don't know sorry. Has anyone ever played the game by trading only? Who might be able to answer that question I wonder.
If I were to fight solely through Guild Expedition I could do it within 10-20 mins depending on how many times I lose and have to retry or swap out troops. If I try to Negotiate through Guild Expedition it takes me an Hour.

The most efficient strategy is using each method to cover the other areas weaknesses

Starting off you can’t fight everything. You simply don’t have the stats necessary to do so. But you can negotiate anything as long as you have the goods and know what you’re doing. So it’s quicker for your growth initially to start with Auto Battle and Negotiate to keep going if you can’t win a fight

The other thing is troops only cost resources if you lose the troops. Negotiating always cost resources no matter what because it costs goods for every turn

Janet Devlin

Corporal
The most efficient strategy is using each method to cover the other areas weaknesses
Presently, I'm attempting all the daily challenges I can handle, plus the fall event, plus the guild expedition, plus the guild battlegrounds sending out my shiny knights to battle. Some don't return. I'm just sitting here on my comfortable throne today wondering if I negotiated on the continent map, slowly progressing and avoided conflict could I still progress through the ages by mostly trading and building. Yes, I agree it would not be an efficient strategy but rather a slow paced relaxed strategy? But it would take some effort too because maybe deep down I am a greedy little queen who will eagerly sacrifice a number of young knights so I can admire my shiny diamonds. :lol:

I could simply try a restrained army and then get back to you on the results. @Loki the Troll what shall ye do in the empire of decisions?

PeePee Pleb

Lieutenant
Perhaps it is a perfectly correct determination to say that fighting gains more ground quickly. I don't know for certain. Has anyone ever played the game purely by trading? Who might be able to answer that question I wonder.
Not sure that building cities with a good defense and a restrained offence is being a pacifist? I would like to think of building as a particular game strategy?
It's very hard to say if anyone has played this game without a single battle (excluding the tutorial ones), but I highly doubt anyone played the game that way.

Janet Devlin

Corporal
I have seen people claim they do.
Okayyyyyyyyy?
I'm actually considering now trying to "play the game without a single battle (excluding the tutorial ones)" - @PeePee Pleb
Could look at this like a repetitive daily challenge if I were to start fresh in a new world. It wouldn't be easy to do that's for sure and as pointed out in this thread not an efficient strategy. Also would I be allowed in the challenge to keep a defensive army to keep plunders at bay?

The question on my mind now though is how do I prove it is possible? I could provide screen shots and a play by play on the forum? How could I get around the problem of proving that my claim was honest? I could swear to God and that it is true and I wasn't cheating? Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Knight of ICE

The question on my mind now though is how do I prove it is possible? I could provide screen shots and a play by play on the forum? How could I get around the problem of proving that my claim was honest? I could swear to God and that it is true and I wasn't cheating? Anyone have any ideas?

Your fight total shows on your world.