• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Three best military units in High Middle Ages ?

DeletedUser113804

Hello Guys !

I have been thinking here about military units of High Middle Ages and see also that when we want build Military Buildings then we must have certain amount of available population , money and supply to build that building.
I see that there are 5 of them. I see that Berserker Barracks only needs more than half less population to build that building than what we see in Trebuchet building

The two questions here is Why is that ? Why Berserker needs so much less amount of population to build that building than other four of them ?

Other question for you guys is The three best military buildings and units in High Middle Ages ? What is the top three military units and buildings in High Middle Ages ?

Thank you for your opinions !

Agathokles the Hawk 1009

Agent327

Overlord
The two questions here is Why is that ? Why Berserker needs so much less amount of population to build that building than other four of them ?

Cause that is so from the start of the game. Artillery requires more than light units.

Other question for you guys is The three best military buildings and units in High Middle Ages ? What is the top three military units and buildings in High Middle Ages ?

3 trebuchets and 3 trebuchet camps

DeletedUser110531

Each unit has strengths and weaknesses. They all are very good against one type of unit while being weak to another. If they enemy are using light units then it would be best to use heavy units, if they are using heavy units then use ranged, etc. Personally I would have some heavy, light and ranged so that they can counter most of what they can throw at you.

DeletedUser113901

From IrA to CA , heavies and lights are the best for GE/GVG and ranged are the best for PVP . Artilleries are too weak and fast suffer from the lights' low cost .

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
From IrA to CA , heavies and lights are the best for GE/GVG and ranged are the best for PVP . Artilleries are too weak and fast suffer from the lights' low cost .
Trebs are god-tier units in HMA.
Get your Atk% high enough, and 6-8 Trebs + 0-2 Rogues/counter unit annihilate everything.

DeletedUser113901

1 berseker and 7 rogues ,don't move it ( edit : the beseker , to keep it in sync with the rogues ) 1st turn then auto battle and win with 1 , maybe 2 casualties against 8 trebuchets .

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser112745

Yep, nothing but Rogues. Only ever use Rogues :P
Rogues fo' lyfe! :D

Well, 7 rogues and 1 other unit anyway.
Well, except on defence, no more than 2 rogues in that case.
Well, except if you're in my hood, please only use rogues on defence (*evil giggle*)
But otherwise, rogues, baby! :lol:

DeletedUser110531

Well, 6 rogues and 1 other unit anyway.
Well, except if you're in my hood, please only use rogues on defence (*evil giggle*)
On later eras, 7 rogues and 1 champion is the best combo.

DeletedUser110531

Well, 6 rogues and 1 other unit anyway.
Or 8 Rogues if you are feeling brave

DeletedUser112069

Trebs are god-tier units in HMA.
Get your Atk% high enough, and 6-8 Trebs + 0-2 Rogues/counter unit annihilate everything.

7 rouges and 1 HMA champion rips this defense to shreds while you maybe sustain 1 casualty at most.

If you are defending against 6-8 trebs + 0-2 rogues, 8 HMA champions tears it up nicely, especially if you have a 50% or better defense modifier.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser112892

I tend to use 1 heavy+7 rogues when going for defenses with mixed defenses.
For defenses consisted only of light and heavy units, i use only trebuchets, for defense consisted of ranged units i use 1 fast unit+7 rogues and, for defenses consisted mostly of fast units, i use 1 light+ 7 rogues

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
7 rouges and 1 HMA champion rips this defense to shreds while you maybe sustain 1 casualty at most.

If you are defending against 6-8 trebs + 0-2 rogues, 8 HMA champions tears it up nicely, especially if you have a 50% or better defense modifier.
Well, no one in their right mind would ever set a defense of only 2 different units, as it's too easy to counter. :P
For defense, I always use at least 3 different unit types (usually 2 Trebs/Champ/2 Xbows/'other') + 1 Drummer for the added point of armour. Stops 95% or more of any attempted attacks on my city, and the only person who's nuked it had 113% atk & 90'ish% def boost, used 7 Trebs + 1 Rogue...

I should have said, 'when attacking & with an atk% bonus of 80-90%, Trebs wreck everything'. ;)

Agent327

Overlord
Well, no one in their right mind would ever set a defense of only 2 different units, as it's too easy to counter. :P
For defense, I always use at least 3 different unit types (usually 2 Trebs/Champ/2 Xbows/'other') + 1 Drummer for the added point of armour. Stops 95% or more of any attempted attacks on my city, and the only person who's nuked it had 113% atk & 90'ish% def boost, used 7 Trebs + 1 Rogue...

I should have said, 'when attacking & with an atk% bonus of 80-90%, Trebs wreck everything'. ;)

I just set 8 of the same unit. Must be a complete idiot.

DeletedUser112069

Agreed. 1 or two unit types makes for easy shredding, especially if you make notes of neighbor defenses and they never change their defensive set. It's easy plundering... my favorite type! 8-)

For defense, I always use at least 3 different unit types (usually 2 Trebs/Champ/2 Xbows/'other') + 1 Drummer for the added point of armour.

I'm of the 3 unit type mindset, also. It's a good balance to effectively counter *most* assaults. Since many of my neighbors are fond of the one heavy infantry or cavalry + 7 rouge attack, I tend to gear my defense against these type of assaults. I'm not real keen on drummers or color guards. I'm in LMA and drummer/color guards don't provide enough defensive wallop or % modifiers for them to be effective that far into the game. Plus, I don't need their defensive % modifier- on defense, my % modifiers are 45% on attack (courtesy a level 10 Basil & level 5 Deal) and 218% - yep, no typo there: 218% defensive modifier (courtesy a TON of ritual flames that I seem to get quite easily from GE). Not many neighbors stay for the battle when they attack me, those that do don't fare well when the dust settles. I've read many posts from players who bad mouth the St. Basil's & Deal Castle calling them a waste of space, and I have to disagree, especially where Deal Castle is concerned. Deal Castle provides daily medals- more than most players can acquire in a week of PvP participation. Plus, both GB's provide ATTACK BONUSES for defending units. Think about it: you're being attacked by an army with, say, +65% attack and +65% defense. Without St. Basil & Deal, the attacker has a +65% defensive edge over you; your defending army hardly puts a dent in their units. Now, with lvl 10 St. Basil + lvl 5 Deal (as I currently have) you've whittled that 65% attackers defensive edge down to 20%. Your defending units now put a HEFTY dent in the attackers units, allowing you to eliminate 1-5 extra attacker units per battle that you wouldn't be able to eliminate otherwise without Basil's & Deal. It's all about attrition. I may not win the battle, but I'll put the hurt on an attacking army and make them think twice about coming back for more (once is usually enough for them). Any attack bonus you can give your defending army is better than no attack bonus. I also plan on taking both my Basil & Deal up to lvl 15 for a 90% defensive attack bonus --- think about that for a moment.

Greywolf

Sergeant
Agreed. 1 or two unit types makes for easy shredding, especially if you make notes of neighbor defenses and they never change their defensive set. It's easy plundering... my favorite type! 8-)

I'm of the 3 unit type mindset, also. It's a good balance to effectively counter *most* assaults. Since many of my neighbors are fond of the one heavy infantry or cavalry + 7 rouge attack, I tend to gear my defense against these type of assaults. I'm not real keen on drummers or color guards. I'm in LMA and drummer/color guards don't provide enough defensive wallop or % modifiers for them to be effective that far into the game. Plus, I don't need their defensive % modifier- on defense, my % modifiers are 45% on attack (courtesy a level 10 Basil & level 5 Deal) and 218% - yep, no typo there: 218% defensive modifier (courtesy a TON of ritual flames that I seem to get quite easily from GE). Not many neighbors stay for the battle when they attack me, those that do don't fare well when the dust settles. I've read many posts from players who bad mouth the St. Basil's & Deal Castle calling them a waste of space, and I have to disagree, especially where Deal Castle is concerned. Deal Castle provides daily medals- more than most players can acquire in a week of PvP participation. Plus, both GB's provide ATTACK BONUSES for defending units. Think about it: you're being attacked by an army with, say, +65% attack and +65% defense. Without St. Basil & Deal, the attacker has a +65% defensive edge over you; your defending army hardly puts a dent in their units. Now, with lvl 10 St. Basil + lvl 5 Deal (as I currently have) you've whittled that 65% attackers defensive edge down to 20%. Your defending units now put a HEFTY dent in the attackers units, allowing you to eliminate 1-5 extra attacker units per battle that you wouldn't be able to eliminate otherwise without Basil's & Deal. It's all about attrition. I may not win the battle, but I'll put the hurt on an attacking army and make them think twice about coming back for more (once is usually enough for them). Any attack bonus you can give your defending army is better than no attack bonus. I also plan on taking both my Basil & Deal up to lvl 15 for a 90% defensive attack bonus --- think about that for a moment.

Deal Castle's medal production is great in the early ages, but it will become insignificant in later ages. The bulk of medals income for high end players will come from GB donation rewards (especially with a high lvl Arc) and from daily quest rewards (when you have decent sized Chateau Frontenac).

Please note if you upgrade both your Basil and Deal to lvl 15 that you won't get a combined 90% defensive attack bonus. It will be more like 66%.

Last edited: