• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

The Smallest City

• Thread starter DeletedUser5647
  • Start date

DeletedUser5647

I have been trying an experiment: Zero expansions!

I decided to grow a city on a new server without laying down any expansions, just sticking to the original 16 you start with. It has been a slower progression than on other servers but having entered Late Middle Age, I have satisfied myself that it is feasible. The buildings get bigger in Colonial Age so that may prove a little tricky but it won't stop me from trying.

TheSmallestCity.jpg

DeletedUser15432

one horse town, you would not see it if you blinked but whatever you fancy

DeletedUser

It's actually going to be quite a challenge to fit buildings in - will be interesting to see how it progresses. :D

DeletedUser5647

I like that layout. Thankyou. I'm about to upgrade everything to HMA/LMA so I shall consider my layout based on your suggestion.

DeletedUser7719

lol, I was expecting the city to be filled with only GB and military buildings :p

DeletedUser653

I suspect its possible to go all the way but the problem will be the GB's and these would have to be very selective, maybe Zeus & lighthouse only?

I will keep any eye on this thread, please keep us updated with progress screen shots - thanks

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
Hi all.

I have just started a tiny city on Cirgard. Is anyone interested in joining a tiny guild of tiny cities to help things along? I was thinking of maybe 10 very active motivators/polishers so there wouldn't be a need for a large time commitment, but we could get through the guild in a few minutes each day.

In Dinegu I'm a top 20 player, but I'd like to have something a bit low key/fun to do as well.

If you're interested, start a tiny city on Cirgard and get in touch. I'll send out an invite.

Cheers,

P. :)

Last edited:

DeletedUser5180

interesting, have you any updated screenshots.? i think a tower of babel with the population boost would be beneficial.?

Surge

Brigadier-General
Babel with goods is also nice, adding to akbhoy. When you get to CA, invest in a Frau.

Surge

Brigadier-General
i think alcatraz will be out of the question tho :cool:

Actually I would think that you can use Alcatraz well in situations. Certain provinces require mixtures of two unit types or sometimes even three units. That's a lot of space taken by mildings especially in the later ages with the uncomfortable dimensions (try fitting a 6x3 sniper range easily in a tiny city that probably will depend on odd-sized buildings). This problem is worsened by the fact that PE and ME mildings sometimes require two-laners, so you have even less space. If you get an Alcatraz, all you would need is just one building and enough patience to wait on getting all the units you might need to pass through the provinces. As a bonus, you might be able to delete some cultural buildings along the way. Of course, with a 70 sq² GB you'd need considerable planning because that sucker alone chomps up over a quarter of this guy's city, precisely 27.34%.

DeletedUser5647

interesting, have you any updated screenshots.? i think a tower of babel with the population boost would be beneficial.?
As it is slow going there have been no updates yet. I am currently saving up supplies for a major remodel based around a mix of HMA and LMA. I will post a screen shot as soon as it is done. As for great buildings, I have considered Zeus, but hesitate due to only having the military boost and I'm not in need of progressing the map yet. The Lighthouse keeps up with my Goods needs so I don't require any Goods buildings and therefore no boosts from the map. Babel is too big for the bonus population unless at very high level (8 minimum), it would have been good for Bronze Age to High Middle Age but the loss of coin from Late Middle Age onwards out balances its benefits. I may consider Notre Dame for its supplies and happiness but have yet to do the maths to prove its worthiness (and I don't have all the BPs yet). All other GBs are just too big for a city this size, their benefits simply do not justify their land cost, even when maxed out.

Of course, in a fully expanded city all GBs should be considered and in my largest city on a different server I have the lot.

DeletedUser5647

Actually I would think that you can use Alcatraz well in situations. Certain provinces require mixtures of two unit types or sometimes even three units. That's a lot of space taken by mildings especially in the later ages with the uncomfortable dimensions (try fitting a 6x3 sniper range easily in a tiny city that probably will depend on odd-sized buildings). This problem is worsened by the fact that PE and ME mildings sometimes require two-laners, so you have even less space. If you get an Alcatraz, all you would need is just one building and enough patience to wait on getting all the units you might need to pass through the provinces. As a bonus, you might be able to delete some cultural buildings along the way. Of course, with a 70 sq² GB you'd need considerable planning because that sucker alone chomps up over a quarter of this guy's city, precisely 27.34%.
Remember that Alcatraz will only produce copies of units from military buildings currently existing in your city (not-connected still counts but not-completed doesn't, so they have to be connected to build in the first place). Therefore, for a mix of units from Alcatraz you need the mix of military buildings existing. As your calculations show, this is simply not feasible in my tiny town. Pity.

DeletedUser5180

Of course, in a fully expanded city all GBs should be considered and in my largest city on a different server I have the lot.

do you not think that notre dame happiness boost and capitol's population boost kinda cancel each other out.?

DeletedUser7719

do you not think that notre dame happiness boost and capitol's population boost kinda cancel each other out.?
How do they cancel each out? It equals lots of population...

I wouldn't even consider Notre Dame. It gives less happiness per square than a Drive-In Theater, and supplies aren't even considered a bonus at all :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Praeceptor

Lieutenant Colonel
I think you'll find that even not complete, a military building qualifies for Alcatraz.

I'm not even considering Alcatraz in my tiny city. I can't see any way to compete militarily with 16x16 squares anyway. I'll just be building the minimum military to get through the map, supported by a Zeus. The only other GB that looks useful is the Lighthouse (as mentioned above somewhere!).

There are 3 of us that have formed a small guild (no heavy commitment required) to play 16x16 cities on Cirgard - If anyone wants to join, get in contact with me there. I think we will need a few more members to help produce a selection of goods to aid progress.