• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

The Damage Calculator

DeletedUser7719

For the past month or so, I decided to get back to calculating damages on units. I already knew it was just ratios and whatnot, but it seems that the spots between each change were not really easy numbers that I could simply say or give hence:

How it works:
Hopefully, this is pretty straightforward, but I guess I'll make this more of a guide.

First off, the only numbers you can edit are the ones without the diagonal stripes on it. If you want to get rid of these diagonal bars, go to "View" and uncheck protected ranges (they still will be un-editable, but it does make it look more smooth ;)).

Description for each cell:
(That's me)Defense stats of the unitAttack stats of the opposing unit
Base stat (without any GB boost)The basic "Defense" statThe basic "Attack" stat
Bonuses not affected by GB boosts (from Units, Terrain, Dugout, Chivalry, etc.)Defense Bonuses (like trees, bushes, and unit bonus)Attack Bonuses (like rocks, hills, and unit bonus)
GB BonusJust put the defense GB bonus you see at the bottom barJust put the attack GB bonus you see at the bottom bar
(nothing here)Damage DealtPut how much damage the attacking unit has taken. If you put 1, the unit has 9/10 HP
(nothing here)How much Damage will you take?Starts with "Not a Scratch!" (which is 0-0 Damage) then goes to 0-1 Damage, 0-2, 1-2, ..., and finally "One Hit Kill :(" (or 10-10 Damage)
You cannot add the base and other bonus together with a GB boost. The Other Bonuses are NEVER affected by the boost. Note that hovering over a unit on the bottom bar will give you the defense with the GB boost, so I would just put that value and set the GB bonus to zero (you still need to add the other unit/terrain bonuses ;)). Chivalry and Call of Duty is also automatically added to the defense stat at the bottom bar.
If you don't already have basic Excel experience, you can make a cell add values for you by first putting an equal sign "=" then put in the equation you want (ex: you can put "=26+25" for the unit/terrain defense of a Rapid Fire Cannon with a dugout bonus against a heavy unit)

Example:
Let's say I started this battle:
6S14NxA.jpg
I already know that most of my (unboosted) units can get hurt from a full-powered longbow, but I want to test how much damage a battle tank will take from it just in case, so I enter this data:

Defense of your unitAttack of opponent's unit
Unit/Terrain Bonus557
GB Bonus0%0%
Damage Dealt:0HP
How much damage will you take?(0-2 Damage should appear here)

*longbow's attack known from hovering over it at the bottom bar

You'll see that there is still a chance at it putting a dent in the tank (0-2 damage). Now, let's see how much it'll take to make longbow useless against that tank, so I put 1 under Damage Dealt and going up one-by-one until I notice that at 8, the message will change to "Not a Scratch!" (or 0-0 damage).

What doesn't work... yet:
- Since these ratios are not obvious, I do not have the exact spots where 0-1 changes to 0-2 or on any changes in the intervals, so there are a few times where you might get "0-1 or 0-2". I'm still checking almost everyday to see if I can lower the gap between these unknowns. (Get ready to see me and my lower age units surrendering on almost all battles neighbors :p)
- The Howitzers blast does NOT increase by 10 attack every space closer to a target (maybe you can try 6 or 7), and the Howitzer's attack in general will not work very well on scaled maps.
EDIT: Thank you devs for finally fixing that (it's 6 space for every space closer)
- A Stone Thrower's attack will technically hit 0 by the way I calculate Damage Dealt even though I'm pretty sure that it never does. Just put the attack at 1 (and 0 Damage Dealt), and use whatever gives you the highest damage.
- Rogues always take one hit to transform. Even the game makes this mistake that it can possibly retaliate if you don't see a one hit kill.
- I don't think a unit should have 0 attack under any circumstance, but I just put those as "Not a Scratch!"; if you put defense as 0, it will give you "One Hit Kill :("; putting 10 or more under damage dealt will result in a dead unit; and if you put both as 0, I don't know what's suppose to happen, so you get a nice: "You tell me"
-This link brings you to a shareable document, so two people cannot use it at the exact same time. I do have 5 separate links, and may put them all up there if I see complaints about this issue here. *Even if it says that one user is online, it does not mean he/she is using it, so you can try to use it until you notice another value change or something.

Footnotes:
A big THANKS to Surge for being my only other tester and Hippocratica for helping me find how to keep the other cells protected (and my formulas hidden) with Google Docs

Last edited by a moderator:

mrbeef

Lieutenant-General
I have to question that really...according to the spreadsheet, an attacking Bazooka with 90% A bonus against a B.Tank of mine with 404% D will cause 2-4 damage

Surge

Brigadier-General
I have to question that really...according to the spreadsheet, an attacking Bazooka with 90% A bonus against a B.Tank of mine with 404% D will cause 2-4 damage

With the bonuses combined, the Bazooka team, unbuffed, will have 95 attack against a tank with 60 defense. Normally would be right to question 2-4 damage. However, when both of those are buffed to their respective values, the Bazooka is attacking a battle tank with 302.4 defense using 190.5 attack power. I would say it makes sense that the damage values are 2-4, but if you're able to test it out, you can post the results to help byeordie fix some wrong values if it is, in fact, incorrect.

DeletedUser7719

Actually it should do only 1-4 according to the calculator. I put in these values:
Defense of your unitAttack of opponent's unit
Unit/Terrain Bonus030
GB Bonus404%90%
Damage Dealt (Beta):0HP
How much damage will you take?1-4 Damage

Note you cannot put 95 directly under "attack of opponents unit" since only the base attack (65) is boosted from the GB bonus while the 30 remains constant. You can put 65*1.9 + 30 = 153.5 in the attack and 0 for the rest of the values though
That sounds reasonable to me since the bazooka has the 2nd strongest base attack in the game.

DeletedUser3157

Nice job byeordie! I was always too lazy to collect enough data for an actual working formula, I just developed over time some pretty accurate estimates about all kinds of ratios to damage, but never a proper formula. Btw if you want some more data which may help some more with damage formulas, then I remember back in autumn 2012 Anwar revealed to me in some thread some numbers down to decimal points. I think it was ballista A5 vs spearman D7 and he gave me 5 damage odds for that shot down to 2 decimal points, you can try searching that if that sounds like potentially useful.

DeletedUser7719

Nice job byeordie! I was always too lazy to collect enough data for an actual working formula, I just developed over time some pretty accurate estimates about all kinds of ratios to damage, but never a proper formula. Btw if you want some more data which may help some more with damage formulas, then I remember back in autumn 2012 Anwar revealed to me in some thread some numbers down to decimal points. I think it was ballista A5 vs spearman D7 and he gave me 5 damage odds for that shot down to 2 decimal points, you can try searching that if that sounds like potentially useful.
Thanks hint! Yea, I think found the thread, and my speculations were right about every range also having different probabilities for each number. My damage dealt should actually be 100% accurate with that statement he made about it, so I guess I'll remove the beta from it. The average damage was between an (old version) Archer v. Spearman, so I need to find if the attack has been changed since then :p Right now, my calculator will only give (most of) the range for an interval, I'm hoping I can just estimate the chances of each number later, but that will be waay longer through the pipeline.
Feel free to PM your estimates just in case any of them are more specific than mine (I think that was you who input the magic 0-0 ratio, so that makes me feel a bit more relieved ;))

DeletedUser3157

The average damage was between an (old version) Archer v. Spearman, so I need to find if the attack has been changed since then :p

If I remember correctly then old archer was A11 and it has since been lowered.

DeletedUser7719

K, yep, for once I'm actually happy that Vanguard didn't update his guide here :p

DeletedUser7719

Hmm... someone seemed to have messed up the calculator a few days ago. Don't know how what that person did was even possible, but I reverted it back. Please only edit only the values on there (and you can always put an equation if necessary) as I do not monitor this calculator everyday (I have a copy/original that I use on my own ;)).

Thank you :)

DeletedUser

I love this idea but it feels and looks a bit clunky being on a spreadsheet, it's not really the most suitable format for this kind of thing.

If someone can assist me with all of the relevant formulas I can produce a streamlined script that will run cleanly on a webpage.

I've looked at the formulas behind the spreadsheet and the attack and defense power is obvious enough but there seems to be a lot of arbitrary formulas thrown in to the mix to calculate the actual damage.

DeletedUser7719

I love this idea but it feels and looks a bit clunky being on a spreadsheet, it's not really the most suitable format for this kind of thing.

If someone can assist me with all of the relevant formulas I can produce a streamlined script that will run cleanly on a webpage.
Sorry about the spreadsheet. I have no clue as to how to make a webpage to run this sort of thing, so please PM me me if you want the forumulas
I've looked at the formulas behind the spreadsheet and the attack and defense power is obvious enough but there seems to be a lot of arbitrary formulas thrown in to the mix to calculate the actual damage.
How did you get access to the formulas behind the spreadsheet? I have no formula for the actual damage (as described in the OP). I place the ratio between the attack and defense of the unit (< that part is legitimately calculated from a formula) within a interval and that interval is where the actually damage lies. This interval was determined by the 100s of battles I did and recording the ratio of each attack that was within an unknown range (and it does not look like there's any clean numbers between where the actual damage changes which is why I still have unknowns).