• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

The Cultural Settlements are pay to win.

The vikings was originally designed based on 4 hr coin collections. If you’re not doing 4 hr collections at all good luck.

Unfortunately settlements seem to be designed to punish players which work 8 hours a day as they will never be able to get timed rewards. Unless they can play during the work hours.

Since CS have been introduced this game requires you to quit your job and stop talking to your friends and family, close yourself into a dark room for 18 hours a day if you wish to do anything correctly.

legend9182

Major-General
Unfortunately settlements seem to be designed to punish players which work 8 hours a day as they will never be able to get timed rewards. Unless they can play during the work hours.

Since CS have been introduced this game requires you to quit your job and stop talking to your friends and family, close yourself into a dark room for 18 hours a day if you wish to do anything correctly.
Naah
Only you need to set alarms.
So after 1 hour start 1 hour coin production
So at max 30 mins a day.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General

Vikings is really the only CS where that holds in any way true... and really, being the first one, it was always bound to the be the clunkiest anyways, but at least it offers the weakest of the 3 timed prize buildings.

Japanese have the Merchant which removes most/all of the challenge.

Egypt if you actually know how to manually fight, is beyond stupidly easy... I finally gave it a go, and I finished my first one with 11 days + some random hrs to go, and that's actually considered quite slow! And no, I didn't "live in FoE" at all with it - barely checked it 3-4x per day and the longest stretch of time is the 10-15min it takes to manually fight 2-3 battles.
It also has the best timed prize building by far, and even once the settlement is maxed, it's apparently still decently easy to farm fragments for more buildings.

Leafbiter

Corporal
How do you win these mission s without using Diamonds?

Even if I have the required 10 Axes I cannot unlock Shrines.

Upupa Epops

Master Corporal
It's been a while since I tortured myself with Vikings, but basically I managed to finish the settlement the first 11 times for the 'gold' chest rewards by;
1. racing to Shrines as soon as possible.
2. sitting around and running non-stop 5min productions for a couple nights to build up the copper supply high enough to run a minimum of 3 goods buildings by the time you unlock the 2nd cultural good.
3. continuing with running 5/15min/1hr productions as much as possible.

A lot depends too on sheer dumb luck as landing the x4 bonus on your very first goods collection is a game-changer, and will basically give you the equivalent of a "+1 day" boost to finishing the settlement on time.
Thank you. Still working on it. Of course I've made so many attempts now that I have to do it in the shortest time. But I am trying all the advice here and I think I am getting better. It is so true that getting the x4 bonus early is worth a lot

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Thank you. Still working on it. Of course I've made so many attempts now that I have to do it in the shortest time. But I am trying all the advice here and I think I am getting better. It is so true that getting the x4 bonus early is worth a lot
I honestly wouldn't worry much about even bothering with the Greater Runestone anymore...

The Antiques Dealer will have SoK upgrades that give the same total of 2fps in a 2x2, while the Egypt Settlement timed reward is light years better than the GR. (plus it's a stupidly easy settlement to finish 'on time' to boot provided you build 2x Nubian Archer barracks right off the bat.;))

Upupa Epops

Master Corporal
Thanks. I just wanted to see if I could do it but it gets harder every time and even doing 4 hour and occasionally 1 hour collections I am still going to miss the deadline by a couple of hours. I guess you are right. Best to move on and the Japanese settlement is easier and more satisfying. I haven't tried the Egyptian one because I'm not used to fighting.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Thanks. I just wanted to see if I could do it but it gets harder every time and even doing 4 hour and occasionally 1 hour collections I am still going to miss the deadline by a couple of hours. I guess you are right. Best to move on and the Japanese settlement is easier and more satisfying. I haven't tried the Egyptian one because I'm not used to fighting.
Egypt becomes a cakewalk provided you build 2x Nubian Archer barracks right away. (though you'll first have to place down a Training Grounds & then delete it immediately to complete the quest that activates the Siege Camp)

8x Nubians can clear almost every battle bar a couple match-ups, as their range is huge and you can just kite most everything. :P

DeletedUser

How do you win these mission s without using Diamonds?

Even if I have the required 10 Axes I cannot unlock Shrines.
To gain Diplomacy, sell snow paths, build runestones, collect, sell rstones, reinstate snow paths. Eat, pray, queef, repeat ad infinitum...

Upupa Epops

Master Corporal
Egypt becomes a cakewalk provided you build 2x Nubian Archer barracks right away. (though you'll first have to place down a Training Grounds & then delete it immediately to complete the quest that activates the Siege Camp)

8x Nubians can clear almost every battle bar a couple match-ups, as their range is huge and you can just kite most everything. :P
Many thanks for that. Very helpful to know

suethegreat

Captain
Referencing the thread title i have just finished my third Vikings on time with 1 hr collections plus the odd 15 min top up and 8 hrs overnight. Also try using several Axe to cover for several steps then delete and double up on others. Use roads as Lugh says and build an Old Willow place it complete that quest then delete before its built although you may need it again later for diplomacy.
BUT....spend diamonds????.........i win another emissary for my Town Hall. This already has the first Viking Emissary so to use both costs 800 Diamonds!!!!!
How is this even a reward if it costs this much??? At least i can switch my 1 FP emissary for the 35 medal one but come on.......'heres your prize a free coffee but the cup cost £10'...shameful.

Powe

Brigadier-General
Referencing the thread title i have just finished my third Vikings on time with 1 hr collections plus the odd 15 min top up and 8 hrs overnight. Also try using several Axe to cover for several steps then delete and double up on others. Use roads as Lugh says and build an Old Willow place it complete that quest then delete before its built although you may need it again later for diplomacy.
BUT....spend diamonds????.........i win another emissary for my Town Hall. This already has the first Viking Emissary so to use both costs 800 Diamonds!!!!!
How is this even a reward if it costs this much??? At least i can switch my 1 FP emissary for the 35 medal one but come on.......'heres your prize a free coffee but the cup cost £10'...shameful.
You get another emissary slot on your next emissary unlocked.

LA - Free UA

Sergeant
you chose which emissaries suit you best I have 10 Emissaries and am using six, all slots have been unlocked for free as rewards in the settlements

suethegreat

Captain
I'm HMA my town hall has one open slot which had the first Viking Emissary in. When i completed the third Viikngs i got a second emissary and the slot has a lock and 800 diamond price tag. There are 2 more greyed out locked slots in view. I switched the 1FP emissary for the medals one no free slot???

Trambambaj

Private
I'm HMA my town hall has one open slot which had the first Viking Emissary in. When i completed the third Viikngs i got a second emissary and the slot has a lock and 800 diamond price tag. There are 2 more greyed out locked slots in view. I switched the 1FP emissary for the medals one no free slot???
Not every emissary comes with own slot so you have to make a choice. I think that many people will say the same, only these with units and fps have some value and slots available for free are in the same numbers as useful emissaries.