• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

The Arc is too powerful

DeletedUser110195

Reading this makes me think that maybe I should do just that and look for a game where the developers have not created idiotic situations totally unreal to any paradigm at all.

If the game had stopped around TE/FE and anyone wanting to play more went off to a different server for all the future eras, Forge of Empires might still make sense and could be an improved version of what it has been for years. As it is, the game dissolves too readily into "get the latest, biggest GBs you can, built for you by other people who profit directly from doing so." I'm starting to lose sight of where the fun is.

At the moment, I'm in the middle ages and enjoying myself. But I'm not sure how much longer that can continue, as Inno now continually push a player to advance in tech.
Really Prinza? You, who rails against what we call fair trade, are opposed to earning the benefits long-time players have achieved and simply want their benefits reduced so you can more quickly compete with them, driving THEM away when all the time they invested into building up those benefits are stripped away? You surprise me if I understood that correctly.

A game has to have new content or it dies, that's just the reality of long-term games like FoE, had it stopped in Future Era, this game would have been dead before you discovered it. As for being forced to advance your tech, it is fully possible to be a fighter and not research military buildings of your age, leaving you plenty of event fodder. You need to do GE and build a ToR, so those silver relics can give you units of your age, you need to push to LMA at some point, so you can get colonial ranged and win with ease before you have your attack GBs leveled high enough. I haven't moved an inch in the tech tree on Greifental for months, and yet I've done two events to completion there.

Personally I enjoy the challenge of achieving things in games long before I'm supposed to get them. I enjoy the challenge of defeating obstacles before I'm supposed to have the ability to defeat them. This game offers me a lot in this way. I want all the most useful GBs at a point where I can sit and build them up and utterly decimate anyone foolish enough to attack me.

Really Prinza? You, who rails against what we call fair trade, are opposed to earning the benefits long-time players have achieved and simply want their benefits reduced so you can more quickly compete with them, driving THEM away when all the time they invested into building up those benefits are stripped away? You surprise me if I understood that correctly.
You are projecting. I never said most of what you talk of.

Let me make this clear: I think the game is being damaged. It does not matter whether I ever played, or continue to play.

DeletedUser110195

Projecting would be me wanting the Arc to be nerfed and saying it was you and ascribing my reasons to you. I am not projecting, you DO want it nerfed.

Nothing is being damaged by people with high level Arcs, the Arc club I belong to is a prime example of how anyone can achieve a high level Arc and do as those who already have one are doing. Keeping the progress of players' cities as slow as when the game was brand new will only serve to bore the players into quitting. A game that is slow moving forever is not entertaining, it needs to move faster the longer it exists, if the interest of the players is to be kept.

DeletedUser111589

I agree with Augustavian. We need one such OP building as everyone profits from it (the guild, player, and friends of player who has it).

Games where everything takes same amount of time without improvement are boring.

I used to play a game, 6hours of gold farming for 2 weeks just to have that gold spent in a day to improve items which will allow keeping up with rest of players. (And I was among better suited players as far as gold gathering was concerned). Repeat same thing over and over, improve stats by same amount every 2 weeks and fight equally strengthened monsters. We were always at zero. Got boring.

DeletedUser110179

Let me make this clear: I think the game is being damaged. It does not matter whether I ever played, or continue to play.
Maybe you should have stayed in the High Middle Ages ... free from the rat race of of modern civilization
(with time to contemplate the future and why everything is going to hell in a handbasket) .

Utopia-0-640x420[6].jpg

DeletedUser100832

Agreed about the game being damaged. In our world there is a 'mafia' of players who have no life and are online 24/7, constantly profiting on other people's Arcs. When an Arc of level 40-60 levels, the first two places are taken up within minutes. Nobody who doesn't sit in front of their computer all day stands a chance.

This 'high-arc mafia' end up with crazy amounts of FP, everyone else has nothing.

EDIT: I made some suggestions about how rewards for GB's should be changed earlier in this thread. I still stand by those. Levelling GB's should be easy at lower levels, hard in the middle (30-70) levels and nearly impossible in high (70+) levels. At the moment it's hard at lower levels, dead easy in middle levels and not too hard in higher ones.

DeletedUser109966

I have a level 80 Arc... it's waaaayyyy too overpowered.... the advantage over someone who doesn't have one is ridiculous... that said, the lvl80 Arc market gets more competitive by the day as more players join it...

For example, it created the ability for one player, in the guild I'm in, to take his Krakken yesterday to lvl 60 in one day !!!!

At least the advantage is pretty much capped at lvl 80... even the earliest owners of an 80 Arc pretty much give up raising it after a few extra levels...

DeletedUser109966

Agreed about the game being damaged. In our world there is a 'mafia' of players who have no life and are online 24/7, constantly profiting on other people's Arcs. When an Arc of level 40-60 levels, the first two places are taken up within minutes. Nobody who doesn't sit in front of their computer all day stands a chance.

This 'high-arc mafia' end up with crazy amounts of FP, everyone else has nothing.

EDIT: I made some suggestions about how rewards for GB's should be changed earlier in this thread. I still stand by those. Levelling GB's should be easy at lower levels, hard in the middle (30-70) levels and nearly impossible in high (70+) levels. At the moment it's hard at lower levels, dead easy in middle levels and not too hard in higher ones.

Only problem I see with making the early levels easy is that the rewards for each level up to lvl 10 are far greater than the subsequent levels... would making the early levels easy then affect the balance of the game in a negative way ??

DeletedUser100832

I have a level 80 Arc... it's waaaayyyy too overpowered.... the advantage over someone who doesn't have one is ridiculous... that said, the lvl80 Arc market gets more competitive by the day as more players join it...

For example, it created the ability for one player, in the guild I'm in, to take his Krakken yesterday to lvl 60 in one day !!!!

At least the advantage is pretty much capped at lvl 80... even the earliest owners of an 80 Arc pretty much give up raising it after a few extra levels...

The #1 in our world has theirs at 130.

They are pretty crazy though. Not as crazy as that Kraken guy mind.
I
Only problem I see with making the early levels easy is that the rewards for each level up to lvl 10 are far greater than the subsequent levels... would making the early levels easy then affect the balance of the game in a negative way ??

yeah, that is true as well. But as you say, currently a good player can breeze through the first 10 levels of not just their GB but multiple GB's in their guild in a few days anyway.

DeletedUser110195

I have a level 80 Arc... it's waaaayyyy too overpowered
There is nothing stopping others from building an Arc and leveling it to 80. There are strategies to speed that up, form an Arc club of 4 to 6 people, put points on Arcs outside the swap club. My Arc is the fastest leveling GB I own and its level cap is rising nearly as fast, both because of the Arc club.

Of course your lvl 80 Arc gives you a big advantage over people who don't have one, but you put the time and effort into leveling it that high, so you SHOULD have an advantage over those without one.

DeletedUser109966

There is nothing stopping others from building an Arc and leveling it to 80. There are strategies to speed that up, form an Arc club of 4 to 6 people, put points on Arcs outside the swap club. My Arc is the fastest leveling GB I own and its level cap is rising nearly as fast, both because of the Arc club.

Of course your lvl 80 Arc gives you a big advantage over people who don't have one, but you put the time and effort into leveling it that high, so you SHOULD have an advantage over those without one.

It's not just the rewards you can win are so much greater, there is also the side-effect it has on being able to level every other GB you own...

The point is, as this thread alludes to, the advantage is on a different scale to taking any other GB to lvl 80... whether that is for the good or bad of the game is another question.

Personally, I LOVE it.

DeletedUser111790

Could anybody tell ME How to get the first pot of gold to raise a lv 80arc?I currently have 120fps daily..

DeletedUser109966

Could anybody tell ME How to get the first pot of gold to raise a lv 80arc?I currently have 120fps daily..

My city buildings only produce a bit more... just forfeit everything else and do what you must to get your Arc to level 30... after that (as long as you have a few friends/guild mates with a lvl80 Arc) they will fight over themselves to level it for you... it basically almost takes care of itself... it's quite frightening (and fun) to watch actually...

Hope that helps.. :)

I don't know why you hark on that anybody can do it.
Of course, anybody can do it.
Not everybody can run a mile in 4 minutes but everybody can piss around on a computer with the sole objective of amassing a 'The Arc' (don't blame me for that grammar) in Forge of Empires. And once they have that level 80 The Arc, what then?
NOTHING is left as a challenge. Can't do x or why? That's OK, just pick the right Great Building, whip it up to level 40 or whatever in a few DAYS and carry on. 'Carry on what?' is a good question because this sure has nothing to do with "Build your Empire!" nor with "Create your own great city" no even with "challenge other players" - not only because you can't really do that but even the battles you do have are just auto-battled, soon without even seeing the enemy (that's in beta right now) - nor does it have anything to do with a strategy game much beyond that single purpose of getting that level 80 Arc.

Sure, everyone can yawn.

It's like introducing a new rule in chess that it is OK to blast all the opponent's pieces off the board with a shotgun. Sure, everyone plays by the same rules, everyone can do it. But it isn't chess and it isn't a challenge.

What some people - and notably including people who have had a high Arc for a while - are saying is that Forge of Empires could be such a good game. But it is losing itself.

Bridgeman says I should have stayed in HMA. I was thinking of doing just that, playing against people at that level and enjoying the reqular quests (and the Daily Challenges when all but just a minority of players are allowed to play them). However, Inno forced me to either quit the forthcoming Halloween Quest (gone though beta) or move up an age, and they make it clear that players can no longer be sure that Events will not force them to research technologies.

So what game can I play? I can't play the strategy game of deciding my technological progress while taking on quests that can improve my city. I can't stay low-tech and enjoy it because several people in the middle ages have Arc, Alcatraz, Orangery and now (yes, right now, already) Kraken levelled to 50+
Can I do that? Yes, of course I can. Especially if I create a horde of cities on other worlds which I don't really play as such but use the loophole of being able to transfer diamonds all to one city. But that isn't much fun, not for me and not for most people.
And why should it be fun for me, when the alternative is harming the game for those who have a level 80 Arc (and a level 60+ anything else)?
Because once you have that much power, there is no strategy left to play in the game advertised as a strategy game.

DeletedUser109966

Because once you have that much power, there is no strategy left to play in the game advertised as a strategy game.

nah... I can't go with you on that one in my case... the game is about building a city you enjoy playing... the Arc helps massively speed up the rate you can target what to develop and direction of your city, you have if anything greater choice on how you play with a high Arc... don't knock it until you've tried it.

I enjoy wasting my time, when I'm not working or dealing with my kids, more than ever on my city now...

If you aren't enjoying the game and feel the Arc ruins it for you... don't play... there are billion games out there to unwind to...

and this game is nowhere near as taxing on the brain as chess (thank heavens)... I for one don't enjoy playing chess virtually every day... Chess you are trying to win with an endgame, FoE you are just trying to make aspects of the game easier to play every day in your development... continual small improvements with no end game... and if it all gets too easy and you get bored... you just jump up an era....

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser111790

My city buildings only produce a bit more... just forfeit everything else and do what you must to get your Arc to level 30... after that (as long as you have a few friends/guild mates with a lvl80 Arc) they will fight over themselves to level it for you... it basically almost takes care of itself... it's quite frightening (and fun) to watch actually...

Hope that helps.. :)
thanks. that is what i should do when i stay in ce:lol:

DeletedUser109966

you are waisting the substaintial expansions in the later ages.....

hahahahahahaha.... we all play our own way... :)

As long as you are having fun there is no right way to play... you can criticise any strategy... I LOVE my city and that is all that matters to me...

I can't lay any of the spare expansions I have already without killing any of the animated wildlife... and we can't have that !!... for me cosmetics are as much fun as efficiency... for others there is beauty in efficiency..

DeletedUser115963

+1
indeed too powerful, just being in the future and making Future goods and selling them for 400FP to many, since many many want one. I resisted having since I don't like the design, specially not having it in the middle ages, but now that I do, I still feel like it's too much powerful when compared to other GB.
making special threads for the arc only! must make changes...