• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Take away the Retreat option

FantasticMrFrank

Brigadier-General
I was wondering if taking away the retreat option from the attacking player when they decide to pay you a visit, This may not be a new idea but I would like to see the format implimented, mainly because it may discourage players attempting to attack you then running away when they see they have bitten off more than they can chew, If somebody has decided they want to attack somebody they should have a forfeit of some kind if they want to retreat as soon as they see what they are up against, It may sound harsh but a little effort from the attacker to maybe look at the city they wish to attack, They can see from the players GBs how strong they are before they chose to hit the button, they can even visit the city to see if there are any extra defences like watchtowers, ritual flames, tigers dens and any other I haven’t mentioned, It will make a refreshing change not to see half injured armies turning up at your doorstep then running from the battlefield, I would prefer to go out fighting than to run away, because then at least you have learned something, but at the moment there is no deterrent and a player can just do it to annoy you without repercussions, Except when you retaliate against 2 spear fighters,, Anybody else agree this could benefit the game

Agent327

Overlord
Taking it away would mean it would be taken away from all fights including GE, GvG and Cmap.

You can make a good assumption how strong your neighbour is, but you can not see what he/she is defending with. For players that do not have enough units, mostly those in te beginning of the game, it is a good thing they can retreat, to save their losses. In the middle part of the game, your idea makes sense, but in later stages it does no longer matter. I have so many units and attack power that I no longer care. I attack all my neighbours with the aoto button and take my losses. Next day, I still have more units. So your idea is not bad, but it's usefullness is, so a no from me.

Andrew420

Major
I was wondering if taking away the retreat option from the attacking player when they decide to pay you a visit, This may not be a new idea but I would like to see the format implimented, mainly because it may discourage players attempting to attack you then running away when they see they have bitten off more than they can chew,
Of course it would if you take away the ability to retreat then the player can't retreat so guess it would discourage them because they can't actually do it
What difference does it make anyways
If they attack you then retreat its simple you attack them and plunder them
It will make a refreshing change not to see half injured armies turning up at your doorstep
Then don't watch the replay

Edit
oh yeah - 1

Last edited:

DeletedUser113901

-1 taking away the retreat would be a loose-loose. Loose for the attacker because he looses units, loose for the defender because he gets plundered much more often.

DeletedUser96901

+1

taking away the retreat would be a loose-loose. Loose for the attacker because he looses
you forget the win aspect for the attacker ;)

if an attacker can't retreat he can directly use auto-battle to do the fight instead of starting the battle manually to check if he wants to retreat

so he wins time because that play is much faster :lol:

Taking it away would mean it would be taken away from all fights including GE, GvG and Cmap.
GvG is so fast. there is no time to check the opponent and then retreat

in GE and Cmap you know your opponent.
so why retreating ? if you can't defeat what is in there don't start the battle

FantasticMrFrank

Brigadier-General
Never played on Pc/Mac but have logged in to see the different set up, I’m happy with the mobile version and my guild don’t comepete in the gvg so all aspects of the playing fast side of the game does not apply to me, less hassle to imo. perhaps change the retreat icon to a yellow chicken icon just to remind the attacker he was a bit yellow also Bradype it is supposed to be a lose situation for the attacker, if he’s not prepared to stay till the end of battles, it would shake things up abit and maybe even out the playing fields possibly

FelixPSY375

Lieutenant
+1 after they reach a certain age and researched a certain technology. As Agent said people in the earlier eras could retreat to save their remaining units, as they may still be quite new to the game. In the mid game (I would say during Ind-CE) the retreat option will be gone.

DeletedUser99588

If you remove the retreat option then an attacker should be allowed to revisit without waiting 24hrs if they lost the battle. You can't have the benefit of 24 hour safety and remove strategy options from the attacker. Being able to deduce whether you will win a battle is part of the strategy of the game especially for those players who do not have an abundance of troops. The game should be viewed from start to finish. At the start you have limited troops and the retreat option is important. Taking it away during the later parts of the game as Agent already stated would have little impact as many just auto their way through anyway. Should players that don't put a strong defence up be punished in some way like you want to punish half injured attacking armies? At least those attacking are playing the game and should be encouraged not discouraged.

An attacker already has to live with any losses that have occurred before retreating and cannot return for 24hrs in which time the defence line up may have changed. Balance is required and already exists.

In my opinion not a good idea and not well thought out. Another idea that is solely looking from one perspective of play and not considering different playing styles.

What next, a avid PvP fighter asking that defence armies do not auto heal for their next battle or worse that death means death for the defence army and not miraculously recover for the next attacker.

DeletedUser96901

lol
lose and attack again

100% abuse
1 spearfighter looking what the defense is and attacking with the best units against it

DeletedUser99588

lol
lose and attack again

100% abuse
1 spearfighter looking what the defense is and attacking with the best units against it

Absolutely that's why those wanting to defend their city should not request losing the retreat button. They already have options and strategies to frustrate attackers but most just can't be bothered to use them and want the developers to change the game to make life easier for them. Life could be worse for them but they haven't bothered to consider it.

DeletedUser116142

Don't understand why a player or guild would not do GvG, its the pinnacle of the game and what you should be working towards.

PvP and CE are the training ground for GvG, so a retreat option has benefit.

You have two option with your hood, aid and gain coin or attack and potentially gain plunder, if you retreat you get nothing...that's the penalty

All great generals in history retreat if the chance of winning is against them, just common sense.

DeletedUser96901

PvP and CE are the training ground for GvG
you need to train for
autobattle,autobattle,autobattle,autobattle,autobattle,autobattle,autobattle,autobattle,... as fast as possible
?

if you do real GvG then you can be happy if a manual fight isn't aborted from the game because the siege or the defender is already defeated

Emberguard

Legend
in GE and Cmap you know your opponent.
so why retreating ? if you can't defeat what is in there don't start the battle
In "defeat X units" if you've run out of other options then having a open sector in a previous age allows you easy kills if you manual fight and retreat before conquering the sector

Also -1

Anyone manual battling has a reason to retreat if they can see the battle isn't going too well

ntnete0

Brigadier-General
-1 ... you can see how strong a player is, and how strong defence is ... but you can't really know how and what age troops he will have in defending army ...so i don't think that we should remove retreat option ...

DeletedUser110713

Retreat must be possible. But I think it should have a penalty like:
Your troops loose 5 hitpoints. Or:
You cant retreat before 3 rounds are played. If you press retreat earlier, it means autobattle until 3 rounds are played.