• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Strategy for defeating 4 muskets & 4 field guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Im interested in a way to defeat the above with minimal casualties.
I`m looking for tried out ways that actually work.

LATER EDIT: I`m interested in a strategy that involves using LMA troops or early CA troops like muskets and rangers.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

My advise would be 8 Cavalry (LMA or CA), 8 Rangers (Stealth might be very helpful depending on the map) or a combination of those.

The Cavalry would get to the Field Guns fast.
As I read in previous posts, the Field Guns have high initiative, but are weak. With the Cavalry's defense this might be very handy.
Cavalry also have a bonus attack + defense VS short range. Can't be bad.

Rangers are fast and Stealth forces Ranged Units to hit them toe to toe. Well.. no need to tell you how that is a good advantage.

NOTE: This is purely theoretical knowledge of mine and I haven't encountered these units or trained them yet.

- L

DeletedUser7373

8 trebuchet, first turn kill 4 field gun. Second turn kill 2 Musket and last turn kill 2 Musket, too.

DeletedUser

8 trebuchet, first turn kill 4 field gun. Second turn kill 2 Musket and last turn kill 2 Musket, too.

I specifically asked for tried out ways and not fantasies. Field guns shoot first and they`ll kill 2 of your trebuchets before you even get started.
Even if somehow you win, the casualties would be enormous.

Lodroth, with 8 dragoons Id be able to defeat the defender and lose 3-4 max. However I`m not even close of building them.
Rangers... hmm, that is not a bad idea at all, especially because of their stealth. This might actually work pretty nicely.

DeletedUser3157

8 field guns, what else could you have been possible thinking of?? They got enough range and speed to take out enemy FGs before each gets their turn WHILE also moving more nearer to the corners/away from centre backline. Yes with bad map you could get hit by musketeers on turn 2, especially should some of the AI FGs get located bad positions for targeting(in middle back slot or somewhere behind a very fast route to you which muskteers already took), but often AI is too dumb and moves too little on it's opening move with ranged units. Then on turn 2 you take out 2 muskets, 3 if lucky. Yeah you will likely get hit or lose one FG, but I doubt anyone has any better ideas :P

I mean how did/do you fight someone with 4 cannons 4 longbows defense..

DeletedUser

I suppose that would work.

I do believe you need to rephrase "They got enough range and speed to take out enemy FGs before each of them hits" into ".. before each gets their turn."
It could be misunderstood that you get to shoot 8 times in a row, which doesn't happen.

Also, as Wallachian said he's nowhere near training Dragoons, I doubt it helps very much to suggest a tactic that's even less achievable in the near future, for him.

- L

DeletedUser3157

Ok edited the post. And yeah, if you have someone in your naberhood who has bought his/her way already to end of research tree and has FGs as defensive units(already), then you are kinda screwed. It's 8 heavy knights and super high losses, or you wait till you catch up to that person in research tree.

DeletedUser

Yeah my bad, I should have added right from the start that I would like a strategy that involves LMA troops or early CA troops like muskets and rangers.
Of course once you have dragoons or field guns yourself, it becomes a piece of cake.

8 field guns, what else could you have been possible thinking of?? They got enough range and speed to take out enemy FGs before each gets their turn WHILE also moving more nearer to the corners/away from centre backline. Yes with bad map you could get hit by musketeers on turn 2, especially should some of the AI FGs get located bad positions for targeting(in middle back slot or somewhere behind a very fast route to you which muskteers already took), but often AI is too dumb and moves too little on it's opening move with ranged units. Then on turn 2 you take out 2 muskets, 3 if lucky. Yeah you will likely get hit or lose one FG, but I doubt anyone has any better ideas :P

I mean how did/do you fight someone with 4 cannons 4 longbows defense..

With 1-2 longbows, 2-3 cannons and 4 trebs. But that was easy because i had a couple of trebs firing before the defender`s siege.
Now the defender has field guns that fire before my siege and has muskets which need a cannon to fire 3 times in him in order to take him down. So that strategy wouldnt work here.

DeletedUser

Theory again sorry. I think 1 armored infantry going forward to 3rd rank would draw the fire of 3 fg .Enabling your 4 trebs to kill two of them and your 3 cannon to make a start on the muskets . thats what i would try anyway .you would certainly be ahead after 1st round. Wallachian as we are in the same neighborhood we could occasionally test these theories although I currently have no fa lol and no plundering with test battles lol

DeletedUser3157

Since other thread got closed again: SMARTY BABY, This thread is about dicussing how to do it with MINIMAL losses not a question if one can defeat it or not, I think most people got it defeated with 1st try using whatever best they had.

DeletedUser

Use 2-3 rangers. You need to get lucky with the map. Assuming you have 2-3 forest squares within reach of you, park them in there. Whats absolutely key is to try and make sure your rangers get a return hit on the muskets, if you put a ranger into the forest within range of 4 muskets that can get alongside you, 3 of them will get a free shot and you will get smoked.

DeletedUser

I only had 3 forest squares and the AI moved the enemy units shockingly, but with a few more forest squares and an extra ranger this would be easily done with no losses.

DeletedUser6965

This is Haulenois right? I wonder if this is possible in Grand Gap, too :) (don't remember the map and the trees there...)

Status
Not open for further replies.