• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Sport team neighbourhood challenge - based on a building

Proposal:

Create a sports 'building' that allows players to play their team against neighbourhood teams.

I don't really care what the sport is: it isn't important to the proposal. I think it should be something which does not require a lot of ground - and therefore a big building [sorry, cricket fans] - such as squash, boules or volleyball.

(There was a recent sketchy suggestion for 'more sports buildings' but I see nothing else.)

Alternate proposal:
Create a sports 'building' to sit in one player's city, that allows a guild to play their sports team against other sports teams from other guilds.

Reason:

Expand the games interactivity. Enable some competitiveness without combat, which some people have asked for. Use up coins, which most players have an ample supply of.

With the alternate proposal, it would also encourage more guild interaction and cooperation.

Details:

(First, I need to pick a sport. I will use curling, a recent Olympic sport. I emphasise that I really don't care what the sport is.)

Each player can build a curling building. When they have a curling building, they automatically have a curling team that every other player in the neighbourhood is invited to compete against. To compete against the other teams, the player has to invest coins (possibly some each day); they choose how much to invest in the game. Winning is simply based on how many coins a player invested. The investments for the neighbourhood go into a 'curling pool'.

Each week, the curling competition closes and winners awarded. The winnings are something like:
1st place: 50% of the curling pool plus one week's happiness boost of 20%
2nd place: 25% of the curling pool plus one week's happiness boost of 10%
3rd place: 10% of the curling pool plus one week's happiness boost of 4%
(No other placements, so that 15% of the curling pool is lost each week.)

If there are only two curling players in the neighbourhood, the 3rd place prize is shared between them. If there is only one curling player in the neighbourhood, they get the entire curling pool (i.e. they get their coins back) plus all prize happiness: this will encourage players to build the curling building and take part.

[Just to add a bit of spice, the bottom players could get a small happiness punishment (just 1 or 2%) as their team did so badly!]

Alternate Proposal Details:

The alternate proposal is for a guild's team to play against other guild's teams. With this, it is not even necessary to restrict to just one sport, as a guild could be hosting several different sports buildings in different members. (I think each player should still only have one sports building to play guild sports: any more can lead to corruption issues.)

It might be necessary to restrict the pool of guilds (the same as those on GE? That level of cross-world transaction could have issues, though) or allow a guild/guild member to select which guilds he wishes to challenge that week.

The competion is not necessarily restricted to one week, and not restricted to the same point in a week as the neighbourhood changes.

(That's as far as I have developed the guild sports idea. It's not completely thought-through, even though it has some benefits to it.)

Visual Aids:

Not at this stage!

Balance:

Tricky. No doubt some players will push millions into the sport and could get back several times that for their investment. That can escalate dramatically, as each week the user pushes more and more millions into the game. Maybe the possible winnings should be limited in some way but that seems unfair since you might have just lost a week after putting a million in and so want to put three million in this week. Maybe it would be better to limit by investment, so that a player is only ever able to put in x amount (scaled with their age/the average age of the neighbourhood) or put in 30% of the existing pool each day, whichever is greater.

Abuse Prevention:

No abuse issues spotted other than adressed already.

Summary:

I prefer the guild sports competition (the Alternate Proposal), particularly with a range of possible sports, but I have not thought it all out.

Either way, the idea is to introduce some fun with a paradigm that many people already engage with, giving some realistic rewards (money and joy) for winning. The nett effect is to reduce the coins in supply, while giving something tenuous in exchange.

Last edited:

DeletedUser103370

Proposal:

Create a sports 'building' that allows players to play their team against neighbourhood teams.

I don't really care what the sport is: it isn't important to the proposal. I think it should be something which does not require a lot of ground - and therefore a big building [sorry, cricket fans] - such as squash, boules or volleyball.

(There was a recent sketchy suggestion for 'more sports buildings' but I see nothing else.)

Alternate proposal:
Create a sports 'building' to sit in one player's city, that allows a guild to play their sports team against other sports teams from other guilds.

Reason:

Expand the games interactivity. Enable some competitiveness without combat, which some people have asked for. Use up coins, which most players have an ample supply of.

With the alternate proposal, it would also encourage more guild interaction and cooperation.

Details:

(First, I need to pick a sport. I will use curling, a recent Olympic sport. I emphasise that I really don't care what the sport is.)

Each player can build a curling building. When they have a curling building, they automatically have a curling team that every other player in the neighbourhood is invited to compete against. To compete against the other teams, the player has to invest coins (possibly some each day); they choose how much to invest in the game. Winning is simply based on how many coins a player invested. The investments for the neighbourhood go into a 'curling pool'.

Each week, the curling competition closes and winners awarded. The winnings are something like:
1st place: 50% of the curling pool plus one week's happiness boost of 20%
2nd place: 25% of the curling pool plus one week's happiness boost of 10%
3rd place: 10% of the curling pool plus one week's happiness boost of 4%
(No other placements, so that 15% of the curling pool is lost each week.)

If there are only two curling players in the neighbourhood, the 3rd place prize is shared between them. If there is only one curling player in the neighbourhood, they get the entire curling pool (i.e. they get their coins back) plus all prize happiness: this will encourage players to build the curling building and take part.

[Just to add a bit of spice, the bottom players could get a small happiness punishment (just 1 or 2%) as their team did so badly!]

Alternate Poroposal Details:

The alternate proposal is for a guild's team to play against other guild's teams. With this, it is not even necessary to restrict to just one sport, as a guild could be hosting several different sports buildings in different members. (I think each player should still only have one sports building to play guild sports: any more can lead to corruption issues.)

It might be necessary to restrict the pool of guilds (the same as those on GE? That level of cross-world transaction could have issues, though) or allow a guild/guild member to select which guilds he wishes to challenge that week.

The competion is not necessarily restricted to one week, and not restricted to the same point in a week as the neighbourhood changes.

(That's as far as I have developed the guild sports idea. It's not completely thought-through, even though it has some benefits to it.)

Visual Aids:

Not at this stage!

Balance:

Tricky. No doubt some players will push millions into the sport and could get back several times that for their investment. That can escalate dramatically, as each week the user pushes more and more millions into the game. Maybe the possible winnings should be limited in some way but that seems unfair since you might have just lost a week after putting a million in and so want to put three million in this week. Maybe it would be better to limit by investment, so that a player is only ever able to put in x amount (scaled with their age/the average age of the neighbourhood) or put in 30% of the existing pool each day, whichever is greater.

Abuse Prevention:

No abuse issues spotted other than adressed already.

Summary:

I prefer the guild sports competition (the Alternate Proposal), particularly with a range of possible sports, but I have not thought it all out.

Either way, the idea is to introduce some fun with a paradigm that many people already engage with, giving some realistic rewards (money and joy) for winning. The nett effect is to reduce the coins in supply, while giving something tenuous in exchange.

+1 Excellent idea.

I could imagine this integrated to some of my other proposals too, for example if guild research is implemented, this could be one of them (research the sport in question). Also it could be integrated into the guild buildings proposal, for example if the sport is guild based, the guild would first have to build a sports complex to be able to host a game!

+1 Excellent idea.

I could imagine this integrated to some of my other proposals too, for example if guild research is implemented, this could be one of them (research the sport in question). Also it could be integrated into the guild buildings proposal, for example if the sport is guild based, the guild would first have to build a sports complex to be able to host a game!
Could you provide links to those proposals, please?

Also, since you are picking up on the Guild Sports concept, could we have your thoughts on how it might work: which guilds are competed against, how to stop FE guilds 'competing' with IA guilds, how to deal with 80-member guilds competing with 20-member guilds, etc.

DeletedUser103370

Could you provide links to those proposals, please?

Also, since you are picking up on the Guild Sports concept, could we have your thoughts on how it might work: which guilds are competed against, how to stop FE guilds 'competing' with IA guilds, how to deal with 80-member guilds competing with 20-member guilds, etc.

https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com...roduce-a-separate-tech-tree-for-guilds.33802/
As for the guild buildings there was this guild GB proposal, but I was thinking a much more sophisticated way, namely to not just have guild GBs but guild buildings such as your Sports Complex could be!

DeletedUser110195

I don't know that we need to worry about realistic proportions.....I mean if a golf course can occupy less space than the colosseum then accurate dimensions aren't being taken into account.

That said, interesting idea, would introduce a new style of happiness management, though I don't think winning should be based on how much money you spend. +1

Edit! What if instead of a new building they drop the worthless medal production of the colosseum and put this in its place? I mean it is the prototype of sporting arenas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could players who already sit on almost unlimited coins have a major advantage? Otherwise it's a decent proposal.
I think I addressed this issue. I don't have the definitive answer but the issue can be controlled.

Balance:

DeletedUser108047

Lots of different elements to this... congrats @Prinza the Hunter

+1 to the idea of another guild competition based on sports

+1 to the idea of repurposing colesseum.

I think both ways proposed of playing - individually in your hood and as a guild team have merit. I'm not sure which is better. I'm inclined to think that the individual player idea is better as it is different to the GE format but I do think that building something using the GE structure would make more sense and be easier to implement.

If it is to be a guild project, I think each guild needs a minimum of 3 colos to participate and only guildees with colos can play. The more players with colos in your guild the better your team and the higher score you can achieve. Guilds would need to be organised in bands like in GE to provide a fair competition.
Having a colo would consume significant space so like TOR (the equivalent for the GE component) it should give decent rewards

If it is to be individual - you could have (like the Arctic Harbour) team members that could be levelled up based on experience and commitment then your team could compete with a bonus or edge. The competion could be resolved based on the highest experience value of the players? Actually you could use this team member interface either for individual or guild based play

-1 to the idea of it being just to consume coin. I think it would need a new currency or a combo to ensure a level playing field for all players when introduced. Like @Augustavian I'm not sure it should be just dependent on currency investment. but I am struggling to think exactly what it should be.

neutral on the idea of happiness generation. The game is currently balanced in relation to happiness. It would need to be a good benefit to justify participation but getting that benefit would make the need to have happiness buildings or GBs less important and I think that the developers require players to have large happiness buildings, thus restricting space for other buildings. Perhaps the guild benefits could be gvg, tavern or ge related?

neutral on game format etc. It needs to be repeatable with the potential for increasing difficulty unless you want to make it random. It needs to be different to fighting and negotiation to differentiate it from GE. It can't be click based as that will be difficult to balance across PC and App. Perhaps some sort of design puzzle - complex building problem that you need to build or create components for?

..neutral on the idea of happiness generation. The game is currently balanced in relation to happiness. It would need to be a good benefit to justify participation but getting that benefit would make the need to have happiness buildings or GBs less important and I think that the developers require players to have large happiness buildings, thus restricting space for other buildings.
This is why I specified the happiness as a percentage. Even if it were a fixed amount, it is only for one week and could not be relied upon. To some extent, it is a rather useless prize but I think it needs to be in there for the paradigm: your team wins, you are happy .. your town's (or guild's) team wins, your citizens are happy.

What if instead of a new building they drop the worthless medal production of the colosseum and put this in its place? I mean it is the prototype of sporting arenas.
I hummed-and-harred over the issue of 'standard' building or Great Building. Either way, there are issues.

There should only be one sports-competition building in a city. AFAIK, no standard building currently has this restriction, so that would be a new aspect. GBs are already one-per-city so that isn't an issue and removes complexity (both programmiing and understanding). OTOH, GBs are supportive of game play, not a part of it, and GB performance relates to level, which it must not do for the sports competition.

Re-purposing an existing Great Building is tricky, though it could simply be an additional aspect of the Colosseum, at any level from 1 upwards.

There is another possibility which I hesitate to mention for the weight of development - and therefore decreasing liklihood of implementation. There could be an out-of-town sports arena/complex, somewhat like the Friends Tavern. This takes away the whole single-building-but-not-a-great-building problem. A gameplay disadvantage of this is that it doesn't require strategy in deciding whether to use space to play sports. I think for this concept to do well, it is best that there is a space commitment, so die-hard fighters might think it not worthwhile, leaving the play to those who are into competion but not so into - or not so good at - combat.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

That's the thing about devs, if something gets forwarded to them, it's basically a modifiable template for them to peruse at their leisure. They may decide to implement it precisely as another building that takes no space within the city, because they feel that's the better way to go about it, and frankly so do I. Farmers may not use space for military buildings, but they shift the space they would use into more goods production, so really there's no difference in space consumption. I play both, though at the moment I'm just 'farming', even my main world on which I fight has no military buildings and won't for the current age.

DeletedUser105579

as dane says,
+1 to the idea,
+1 to replacing colosseum

There should be a space commitment, as players can be getting potential bonuses from it (decisions decisions)