• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Space Capital- and Lower Case Sensitivity

DeletedUser

On the NL forum a problem is reported with a guild name which is exactly the same as an other besides an extra space.
They have the same guild flag too so this can cause confusion/ frustration.
Apparently it is easy to copy guild names as such in a barely visible distinctive way.
Support can clearly not help here: the sky would be the limit in problem solving I suppose especially because it can be done so easily.

My proposal: Make the interface less sensitive for extra breaks and lower- and upper case.
Especially extra breaks two instead of one should be ignored I think.

Edit:
Thanks to @bradype there are more dealbreakers found via beta testing within a variety of available keyboard signs in the different languages.
The results are not so good in order to avoid confusions in Guild and player names.

In NL they found it funny to make a (double) account by name of our community manager, starting with a lower case instead of an upper this in order to overly proof their point *SiGhS*

Clarification: Posted it here as the interfaces are the same and could easily occur here as well.
Since this is an International forum I feel it is sound to address it here as it’ll potentially effect everyone but more importantly this platform is more visited.
The NL forum is close to death.
This proposal is not per se for this isolated matter on NL but more so to draw attention to the interface problem/ limitations or culprits.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Strange reply. It's how it works in the game and that makes it international. Why would the international forum not be the place to try to change it?

I tried and it works the same here. Does that make this the correct forum now?

Thanks for showing this problem is server wide <3

DeletedUser99692

If I have mistaken your proposal then I apologise I thought it was the postings on the NL forum that concerned you which should be raised there.

Agent327

Overlord
If I have mistaken your proposal then I apologise I thought it was the postings on the NL forum that concerned you which should be raised there.

It isn't about forum postings. It is about in game names. You can mimick a Guild's name and mimick a Guild.

A guild on K for instance is "Phase 2"

I can mimick it by starting a guild called "Phase 2'

DeletedUser113901

+1 There are worse
I and l (I and L) are considered different
А, A and Α (from cyrillic, latin and greek alphabets) are considered different (just tested on β)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser113110

+1
Maybe the solution would be in having a minimum of 3 characters different (in addition to overlapping characters)?

+1
Except that would cause more problems:
Guilds that have similar names(but clearly distinguishable ones) will suffer from this[Example: If a guild is named “Canadians”, and another one is named “The Canadians”, then would both guilds be forced to change their names?]
Although I agree to the OP’s change, please keep current guilds the way they are.:)

Emberguard

Legend
@King Jared The III what I had in mind was to only check at the time of creating the new guild / changing name, not checking pre-existing guilds or the old names

But you're right, that part skipped my post and needed clarification

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
It cannot be done. The only solution would be "limit the characters allowed in a user/guild/account name to only 26 English letters and the numbers [0-9]" and also, either "I" (upper case i) or "l" (lower case L) must be wiped off from the dictionary - only one is allowed to exist.

So it cannot be done

It cannot be done. The only solution would be "limit the characters allowed in a user/guild/account name to only 26 English letters and the numbers [0-9]" and also, either "I" (upper case i) or "l" (lower case L) must be wiped off from the dictionary - only one is allowed to exist.

So it cannot be done ._

Thx for the gumball popeye - great idea - guild ghosting to a whole new level - lol

DeletedUser99588

-1, No offense to the OP as I appreciate it might be a little annoying but I'm fed up with micro managing ideas.

DeletedUser99692

-1 I believe this would require extensive checks and filters being put into place and we all know how crazy the chat filters are. Naming a guild could end up as a marathon exercise not a two minute job. I regret to say those with mischief in mind would find a work around.

Andrew420

Major
Thereby I knew it already and I think most do.
There's your answer
Most already do know this after 6 years yet now you want to turn it into an issue
It might be an issue on NL server but this is the 1st complaint on EN server( and its from a NL forum member )
Either no one on EN server sees this as a problem or they don't care

Amy Steele

General
Hey folks! Certain posts have been edited or deleted as they overstepped the mark with personal remarks. I realise that this is something of a contentious issue, but please when posting keep in mind our rules especially the one that requires you to:

- Treat each other with respect and remain polite.

As regards this being an issue here on EN, I can certainly remember that some time ago we had several instances of 'copycat' guilds, mostly associated with GvG. I'm not sure though whether it is currently an issue.

I also feel that the proposed solution may not be particularly easy to implement, though that itself does not make it a bad idea.