• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Implemented: Seeing It's Range!!! (Combat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser7719

Proposal:
The ability of seeing any unit's range

Have I checked...
Yes, and nothing similiar

Reason:
Makes our lives easier

Details:
This would allow you to see a selected unit's movement range + attack range from chosen location within its movement range.

Visual Aid:
1) Well, we first start out with the unit whose range you want to see:
Idea 3a.JPG
2) Then click and hold
3) And drag around to see it's range!
Idea 3b.JPG
*NOTE* that I used my own unit there, but I'm talking about doing this to any unit that you are not using)

Abuse:
No abuse can be applied here

Summary:
Let's see that range!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I do think that I've thought about something similar in the past (when I still actually used my military!) In a way, though, they do already show range. See the lightly highlighted squares with the reddish overlay? That's essentially your range. Any enemy in that range, you can hit. I assume that's what you're talking about. And you can even see this before moving your unit.

DeletedUser7719

Yes, but you cannot see the range of the unit if it was moved to one of its accessible spots which is what I am trying to implement

DeletedUser7719

both I guess, since you cannot look at where you want to move your archer when controlling another (but it was mainly for the opponent)

DeletedUser

Okay, for the enemy units, I like the idea. However, I can easily see the argument, "It takes the strategy out of the game!" popping up. As for both the enemy's range and your other (unselected) units', there would have to be some kind of way to differentiate their coloration on spaces so that you don't confuse whose range is whose, especially when they overlap. One way to circumvent this is to make it so that only the range of an individual highlighted (i.e. hovering your mouse over the unit either on the map or in the queue.) This would limit it to one at a time, sure, but it would definitely make you less blind to the possibilities.

DeletedUser7719

Exactly, click on the opponent's unit that you want to "move", and you can drag it around to see how it's range would look if it was moved to the spot(s) you dragged it to

DeletedUser

And how exactly would you account for the enemy units' move range? If you literally drag the unit, then you don't really have a simple visual aid for how far it can travel in one move, whereas with your own units, you have the arrow (as you can see in your second image.) I think that, at best, there could be an alternate selection. Not quite sure how it would work at the moment, but essentially - on your turn - you select the enemy unit, and it displays the hypothetical pre-move information, just like your own units (i.e. the red arrow with limited range and the red semi-transparent overlay to indicate attacking range.) It would be like predicting an opponents possible moves in chess, only with chess, it's a lot easier to predict an opponent's movement and 'range' because of the limited variations and somewhat more consistent rules.

DeletedUser7719

it displays the hypothetical pre-move information, just like your own units (i.e. the red arrow with limited range and the red semi-transparent overlay to indicate attacking range.)
That's kind of what I have been trying to say

DeletedUser

And I'm sorry for being slow to getting to that conclusion. Still, I think that it would need to be some kind of 'alternate' selection mode. For instance, you could just click on an enemy unit and then it switches to their perspective. But, in that case, you could fairly easily accidentally select something for one of your own units instead... so that makes that less viable. Another option would be to click an enemy unit on the queue. I'm obviously not a code-monkey and wouldn't know what that would entail. They already have it so that hovering over the queue shows their stats, but you can't actually select them. Another option would be to have a button on the HUD that lets you 'switch' between their perspective and your own... Sort of a 'Strategic Mode' button. I, personally, think these last two options are the most probable, and would likely be left up to the creators, should they ever even choose to implement even the basic idea.

DeletedUser7719

Let's get the idea out first, we've almost used up half a page to end up where we started :p The devs will say something if it becomes considered

DeletedUser

I was thinking just the same (I'll try to observe for the meantime, until more others give input.)

DeletedUser

I guess it would save a lot of counting hexes in battle. It's pretty easy to do now though, this would speed up the attacks quite a bit, and they're already pretty fast. I'd support this idea as the counting gets pretty tedious after awhile.

DeletedUser

I think I've seen and supported an idea like this somewhere in the distant past.. And I would still love to be able to see this, alhough I'm not entirely sure if it would fall under "making things too easy" :P

~Mutzena~

DeletedUser

I think I've seen and supported an idea like this somewhere in the distant past.. And I would still love to be able to see this, alhough I'm not entirely sure if it would fall under "making things too easy" :P

~Mutzena~

Oh, I just put that because it seems like die-hard PvP-ers often like to open with that argument with most things that involve modifying PvP in anyway that isn't making it harder! But, yeah, it would just be a visual aid at most and would save some tedious work that most people could do if they tried, anyway. And it's not like you can truly predict where the AI is going to place it's units, anyway, or who they'll attack!

DeletedUser1094

~Mutzena~

That makes two of us... :) (but that might have been for the range-show, that already has been implemented :confused:)
I'll support the expand, to have the unit-range visualized for idle units too, both own and enemy...
+1

DeletedUser5026

Hey byeordie,

Been thinking about it, I'm still not too clear about your idea, are you talking about the ability to see 1) the move range of all units, or 2) the attack range of ranged units, or 3) both?

Cos I was thinking, the use for seeing the range of an enemy ranged unit is to be out of range of that unit when it makes its next move. However, if it moves to a new position during its turn, where your unit is now within range, then the ability to see a ranged unit's range loses its purpose then, no? Unless the proposal was to see both how far/where a ranged unit can move, and from there, which hexes it can attack. Sure would love a clarification. Otherwise, it sounds good to me, though like Mutzena, I worry as to whether it would be considered to "make the game easier".

Cheers,
L.R.

DeletedUser

As I understand it, this would allow you to see a selected unit's movement range + attack range from chosen location within its movement range.
Personally I think I'd rather just see the maximum movement + maximum range when mousing over the unit. I don't really need to know where it could shoot from this and that location if I can see all the locations it can reach no matter where it moves. Basically this would work just as the system now, except there would be an added red zone indicating the furthest point where a unit can shoot :) Would be a bit more simple perhaps

~Mutzena~

DeletedUser7719

As I understand it, this would allow you to see a selected unit's movement range + attack range from chosen location within its movement range.
Personally I think I'd rather just see the maximum movement + maximum range when mousing over the unit. I don't really need to know where it could shoot from this and that location if I can see all the locations it can reach no matter where it moves. Basically this would work just as the system now, except there would be an added red zone indicating the furthest point where a unit can shoot :) Would be a bit more simple perhaps

~Mutzena~
Yes, that's what the idea is about.
P.S. I wouldn't mind if your idea was implemented too
And I guess I just either suck at explaining, or it isn't easy explaining this, so I'm gonna quote your explanation and put it under the details :p

DeletedUser6147

This is in fact one of the features in the game that the AI has advantage over us. They can predict how far we can go and where we can attack.

Who doesn't know the frustration when your archers reach is just the next to the AI unit.

(not sure if this had be mentioned)

Status
Not open for further replies.