• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Do Not Suggest: Rotating Building

DeletedUser108657

Why is it not possible to have a building rotation tool, so that, for example, a 4 x 3 building can be rotated to a 3 x 4 building, or a 7 x 5 building can be rotated to a 5 x 7 building?

This aspect of the game is about utilising space, but prevention of rotation achieves the opposite of that as it is too often necessary to have wasted space to fit building in.

There is no advantage or disadvantage to any individual by including this and no disadvantage to Inno to implement this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12400

It’s part of the game to try and fit everything in there the way it is. The building rotation idea is really old and it was established since the beginning that devs not going to make it happen. That said, here's a very helpful City planning tool.
Any kind of rotation (whether of single buildings or the entire city view) is currently not supported by our graphic assets and will hence not be implemented any time soon.

DeletedUser108657

That it may be an old idea, does not change the validity, nor the popularity.

The question that Inno needs to answer, is whether it is developing a game it wants to sell, or a game that players want to play. As referred to above, there is no downside to anybody in making this change, and it has no effect on gameplay as the problem of fitting buildings into confined space remains.

DeletedUser99588

The question that Inno needs to answer, is whether it is developing a game it wants to sell, or a game that players want to play. As referred to above, there is no downside to anybody in making this change, and it has no effect on gameplay as the problem of fitting buildings into confined space remains.

Innogames have given technical reasons that would deter them from doing this due to how the artwork has been produced for the buildings. I'm afraid I'm in agreement with Overtype that it is part of the strategy of the game and wouldn't want it changed.

DeletedUser12400

Please read through the Ideas previously suggested thread.
These ideas will not be implemented:

Rotating buildings to make placement easier (which would erode the central challenge of the game too much).
Having a "holding area" for buildings to make rearranging easier (likewise).
Exchanging coins for supplies and/or goods, or vice versa (likewise).

Other ideas that are regularly proposed have already been announced as "on the way" in some form. These include:
Being able to control our own defence.
Inter-guild competition.

DeletedUser108657

I've PM'd you Overtype.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser108657

Thanks for your view Thanatos.

I don't believe this idea changes the game strategy at all. The strategy of fitting buildings in a confined space remains.

I would like to hear from Inno why there would be a technical reason not to do this. It would be very simple to produce 2 graphics for each building, one in one direction and another at right angles, then the direction of the building determines which graphic is used. That wouldn't be technically difficult at all.

DeletedUser99588

Thanks for your view Thanatos.

I don't believe this idea changes the game strategy at all. The strategy of fitting buildings in a confined space remains.

I would like to hear from Inno why there would be a technical reason not to do this. It would be very simple to produce 2 graphics for each building, one in one direction and another at right angles, then the direction of the building determines which graphic is used. That wouldn't be technically difficult at all.

I think they touched on it briefly in one of their monthly videos. The artwork is just a shell an doesn't cover all faces. If you start having multiple versions of the buildings it will have a resource impact which is already stretched for many. This has been discussed on a number of occasions so might be worth doing some research as I cannot recall all the different reasons given why it is not feasible.

If it doesn't make thinks easier why do you want it? A key element of the city design is to overcome not being able to rotate the buildings. The developers purposely make the footprints a little awkward so you have to think about the best possible strategy for you.

It is common for new players to present the same ideas you have because it seems common sense at the start but as you progress you come to realise that these few things are actually the few strategic elements to the game. Take them away and there isn't much left.

DeletedUser2989

Hi Ray Valley, I'd highly recommend reading the sticky thread that provides a guide to the ideas section, within you notice the following:
What not to suggest:

Don't put up ideas to make yourself richer.. or make the game easier. The game is meant to be played over time and is meant to have a lot of strategy to it.

In particular, please do not suggest the following ideas, as they will not be implemented:

-What units to fight against other units (ie no monster units that can sweep all others)
-Better trade ratios (things are supposed to be limited so there is no account feeding)
-Rotating buildings to fit in a different shaped space (placing your buildings in optimum positions is part of the game)
-Easier access to diamonds (diamonds are the lifeblood of the game. We need them bought to pay for servers and everything else. If we gave out easier diamonds then no one would buy them)

While the sources Overtype quoted are old to this day Inno is still not interested in implementing building rotation, it is intended that all buildings only have 1 orientation. As such I'll also be marking this idea "Do Not Suggest".

DeletedUser109322

Hello,
Would it be too much trouble to enable players to rotate buildings? I find it somewhat frustrating when rearranging the buildings in my worlds. As a player I like to maximize the space available, but being limited to placing buildings in one direction this is next to impossible.
It is also somewhat difficult moving buildings around when rearranging. My other thought was to make it possible to place buildings in the inventory so a player may have the room to work with. Thoughts?

Tanmay11

Warrant Officer
-1 from me
also its never gonna happen, not being able to rotate buildings is part of the challenge according to Inno.

DeletedUser96901

would it be much trouble to look in the important threads about ideas ?

then you had read that rotation will never be implemented

is next to impossible
million players did the impossible in the past

maybe some time in the future you will be one of them

My other thought was to make it possible to place buildings in the inventory so a player may have the room to work with. Thoughts?
my thought about this: you should use the search function
already suggested at least 100 times with the result: will also never be implemented

DeletedUser15432

A minus 1 score for this idea, this is an idea listed under the do not propose section due to the fact that all buildings are only rendered on the two sides that can be seen, to implement this idea would necessitate an excessive amount of work for the graphics programmers as they would have to deal with all the buildings and if implemented would make the game as bad as GvG as everyone would be rotating buildings to try and get the best possible space utilization in there cities

DeletedUser653

-1 sorry but this is part of the game and making the game easier would take some of the fun out of it. must have put -50 on this idea which comes up every 2 months proving that some players do not have a search button. :(

DeletedUser100065

-1 on rotating the shape of the building as it is just making the game easier. There was an idea of rotating the graphics of the building once upon a time but i can't find that. That appealed more to me and my OCD as everything would face the right way :)

DeletedUser109322

Well ok then. Love felt. I'm a Noob I know, but the only stupid question is the one not asked. I am still familiarizing myself with the game. Thank you for the constructive criticism