• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Rogues

DeletedUser103223

Ok everyone does realize why the AI is so stupid when fighting GvG and neighbors, DIAMONDS. If the computer targeted rogues all the time, they would be pretty useless meaning people wouldn't be paying to open all extra slots at the Roge hideouts. Inno isn't going to cut its own throat by making Rogues so weak. It all boils down the DIAMONDS. plain and simple....

DeletedUser110131

What kind of defending troops complement the tactic of transforming all the Rogues first before attempting to fight back?
If your adversary is more protective of his "real" unit, that means that he's using an unattached reward unit, which can't be replaced. If you managed to take that out, it would be a huge blow to him. It certainly doesn't mean that he doesn't mind loosing Rogues; they take a lot of time to recruit and heal. If his troop production is low relative to his battle activity, casualties may cause considerably delay, and any delay will be more costly than the profits from plundering a single city. Even if that's not the case, and he has lots of Hideouts, and a high level Traz, he'll still find it annoying, having his Rogues fertilize the fields around your city.

Truth be told, though, if your attacker is using seven Rogues and a next age reward unit, and he knows what he's doing, it'll take a lot to defeat him. If you don't defeat him, and he's stubborn enough, he'll just eat any losses short of his reward unit, and keep coming. You can make it very costly for him, though, and, if you keep building your defenses, they will eventually hold.

My recommended approach: Use one artillery unit and one fast unit; if the fast unit is a Champion, all the better, since it will certainly not last long. These will go for Rogues and ranged units. They also tend to force moves from the opponent, as they engage very quickly, but from opposite ends of the field. Other than these, use heavy units. They'll either engage the enemy's faster troops, or take several moves to engage at all, by which time most or all rogues will have transformed. As a result, Rogue or no Rogue makes little or no difference to them. They also get the most boost from Watchfires (and similar), of which you should have as many as possible.

If you can, get far enough ahead in the quests to get next age reward units, and place the heaviest of them in your defence (next age light units will usually be heavier than present age heavies). You can use two Rogues, but no more. Taking out all four of your heavies before your Rogues close in will be impossible. Your Rogues will most likely transform to heavy units, and almost certainly not into fast units. They may even land their famous one hundred attack before transforming, if the attacker is overly optimistic about his ability to take out your heavies. Note: If you have a low defence boost, and the enemy relies on ranged units, you may need more than one fast unit; however, properly boosted, heavies will do well against ranged.

An all ranged or all artillery defence can be effective in inflicting casualties. There's virtually no way of attacking such a defence without loosing some troops. Because specialized attacking armies are needed to do well against them, these are especially good for "surprise defences". They're doubly good because an army ready for them, will be in trouble against other defences. Switch between these and your regular defence, to give repeat attackers nasty surprises, repeatedly.

To all my neighbors: Obviously, I'm goofing around here, just typing in random words. Pay no attention to it, and continue with your lazy, ahem, sorry, "excellent" current defences.

DeletedUser109296

its not like that in all ages and in some ages fighting with 1 unit and 7 rogues is madness as they just target the 1 unit every time
Like in what ages? Just hate a vague "some". I have yet to see it. then there's the question, why in just some ages?

DeletedUser110179

I think he means in some maps...? PvP combat seems to use different rules.
I've certainly noticed the AI on maps (LMA, CA) targeting non-rogues first ... but even 2 rogues can help win the battle.

DeletedUser110195

In every age the map AI goes for regular units first, if they're in range, it will attack a rogue if that's the only thing it can reach.
Ok everyone does realize why the AI is so stupid when fighting GvG and neighbors, DIAMONDS. If the computer targeted rogues all the time, they would be pretty useless meaning people wouldn't be paying to open all extra slots at the Roge hideouts. Inno isn't going to cut its own throat by making Rogues so weak. It all boils down the DIAMONDS. plain and simple....
No, if every AI targeted rogues first that would be a GOOD thing for the player, and rogues getting targeted first on the map would make people want them MORE, not less. As it stands rogues are near worthless on the map, as the AI will kill the regular units first just like we would, and then literally smoke the rogue last, like we would.

DeletedUser110179

Ok everyone does realize why the AI is so stupid when fighting GvG and neighbors, DIAMONDS.
Sure ... the AI has been dumbed-down because nobody would win.

Chess (AI) computers have beaten humans for quite sometime. They could simply create level 10 GE and scrap Levels 1-4 ... and you'ld have the same effect. Baby Steps is the road to success ... nobody starts FoE (or life) at the Top ... knowing everything and all-powerful.

Inno aren't in the winning business ... they win only after you win (you find happiness when you make others happy).

VideoGenie

Private
I have a concern about the AI algorithm that the software uses when defending the city against an attack.
I believe that attacking the weakest unit when defending is a mistake.
i.e. the software automatically attacks a Rogue unit when defending.
This causes the rogue unit to turn into a stronger unit of what the attacker has left. However the attacker may have seven Rogues and only one strong unit.
My suggestion is that the defending army should avoid attacking the Rogue units until all the opponents other units have been defeated.
Hence making a much better defense as the Rogue's could then be pick off quickly and easily without them becoming stronger.
Actually it doesn't matter which units the AI attacks first so long as it is not a Rogue unit.

DeletedUser110195

My suggestion is that the defending army should avoid attacking the Rogue units until all the opponents other units have been defeated.
Hence making a much better defense as the Rogue's could then be pick off quickly and easily without them becoming stronger.
Actually it doesn't matter which units the AI attacks first so long as it is not a Rogue unit.
There is already an AI which does this, the map AI. They have left the AI which controls city defense and GE deliberately inferior, if this was something that was open to change it would have been already, since very little work needs done, as an AI behaving like us already exists.