• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Restrictions to building your empire..

While the devs create more and more excellent event buildings there simply is not enough expansions to place them without deleting other buildings to make space or rushing too soon into the next age. Expansions are very limited and only a very few can be got with diamonds in each age.
With the growing vast variety of event and Gb's to place the game simply needs more expansions/age. please discuss.

Knight of ICE

This is something that comes up almost every time as feedback for a new event, so why discuss it again? The game is a strategy game that is meant to be played over time. Choices have to be made and you are wrong about premium expansions. From AF on you can get more. In SAJM there even are 12 premium expansions.

Knight of ICE

Yes, play it over time, but there are not enough expansions for the first couple of years.

There are more than enough expansions in the early ages. Those ages have the most expansions you can get through research.

I meant to say in the earlier ages, why do they force players into next or higher ages to get more expansions?

They do not force players. Purpose of the game is that you move on. It is players that have come up with all sorts of reasons for camping. Devs never intended for you to camp, until you have reached the end.

Forwandert

Lieutenant-General
The game actually progressed in expansions as the events started to take place more. Early on there was no GB capable of opening up so many medal expansions it was all earned in small amounts and medal expansions where slow to build up and open and hardly any events.

After Arc came out more events started to take place. They have opened up a huge boost to expansions in SAJM way more the they would usually (of course mainly diamond expansions but the choice is there).

Emberguard

Legend
I meant to say in the earlier ages, why do they force players into next or higher ages to get more expansions?
The game was originally designed with the intent of advancing through the Ages. It's not so much "forced to" - you can stay in a single age indefinitely - it's just going against the intended game design to stay within a lower Age for an extended period of time beyond what's necessary

Well, I kind of get the message that they want us to move on or you are not meant to camp, somewhat contrary to all those who say don't rush take your time. Each age should be balanced as much as possible not just the later ages.
I have been playing for over two years but only reached "tomorrow age" or 13 ages in. My first shock was about a year ago when I could not purchase any more expansions, the first six or so ages were ok then it happened! Every age since then there has not been a day or an event when have not needed more expansions.
Sure, I camp some ages for a month or two but who doesn't? I'm sure that most of the veterans who are saying there isn't a problem already got the higher age expansions, some with massive attack boost you get by placing more buildings. From where I am playing the distribution of expansions is biased towards the higher ages or veterans with the exception of the first few ages.
Not going to get much support here but if this is fair or right, I will let the players decide.

The more you progress, the more you get. Is it unfair that high age players have more than low age players? More resources, more power, more SPACE.
All players, no matter if they are low age or high age, struggle with space issues. That's kind of the point of the city building challenge in the game.

Emberguard

Legend
somewhat contrary to all those who say don't rush take your time.
Well, taking your time is the path of least resistance. You can effectively have infinite resources by never aging up

Each age should be balanced as much as possible not just the later ages.
I would say the early Ages are balanced. What unbalances things is once things snowball. The pace we set, use of Advanced Great Buildings, and powercreep in Event Buildings all contribute to this.

Sure, I camp some ages for a month or two but who doesn't
Sure. I do like to take my time in an Age too. Mostly so I can get all the diamonds in each Ages Quests. But once you have that snowball effect going.... you don't actually need to camp for a month or two. Once you have a solid foundation, you could get through most Ages within a week each quite easily, and have all the resources you'll ever need from those Ages. Once you get to the Arctic Future and above the bottleneck will be with the Special Goods. It's only if you haven't got a sufficiently developed city that you'd struggle to do so

Of course not all players would have the experience necessary to get through Ages quickly (and easily), that's why it's recommended to take your time. A new players isn't going to have the same understanding of game mechanics that a vet would be able to utilise. If you're rushing then you also need to be planning on what to get / prioritise on your current Age before Aging up.

From where I am playing the distribution of expansions is biased towards the higher ages or veterans with the exception of the first few ages.
I don't see how it's biased towards higher Ages except the very last Age, Space Age Jupiter. If anything it's more biased towards the Ages upto and including Industrial Age. After that it reduces the Expansions per Age release, with Space Age Jupiter being the one exception right at the end. Those that appear to have more are actually multiple stages, and have to be completed in stages due to the Special Goods.

But really, here's the thing. Even if they doubled the amount of expansions available for every Age... you still wouldn't have enough. Not because it's "not enough", but because there'll always be something to fill whatever space you get.

Biggest reason to be conservative in the rate of adding more expansions: bigger cities struggle to load the game for some players without crashing. So if peoples devices can't cope with what's already there, then adding more space will only make that problem worse by adding more stuff that has to load

By slowing down the rate of new expansions, it gives a longer period of time before devices have to be replaced or upgraded to keep playing. Hopefully at a time the player would have already been looking to do so.

Thanks Emberguard
Once you get to the Arctic Future and above the bottleneck will be with the Special Goods

Thanks for your comments. I have now got into AF and quickly built a lvl20 SC to supplement the limited special goods from the Ocean terminal shipments.
Unfortunately AF has derailed my game as it uses a lot of goods, extra FP and now special goods which severely slow down the developement of the tech tree.
On top of that AF troops are not stronger than the previous two ages and I'm back to negotiating some parts of GE4 (which uses rare promenthium!)
Having to relearn how to fight manually using drones, everything now feels cumbersome and I am struggling to progress at this revised much slower pace.

What is the best way to get through, as its forcing me to either use a lot of diamonds or spend more time offline, not retaining my interest like before.
Could anyone give me some tips to play AF and on how long this lasts; do things get back to normal in future ages?

shadowblackff

Second Lieutenant
Some AF troops are stronger. Plasma Artillery can hit invisible units and fires every round, unlike the Rail Gun. Its weaknesses are flying units and - to a lesser extent - Battle Fortresses. Battle Fortress is fast and takes four hits to kill. The other units have their uses too.

For the tech tree make sure to plan ahead. Focus on the techs that upgrade your Arctic Harbor to decrease the travel time of the ship. Also, when sending the ship decide waht to focus on, and either try to decrease travel time, or to increase the amount of Promethium you get. And remember to progress through the world map - it's a lot bigger than the previous age and so takes much longer to complete.

Could anyone give me some tips to play AF and on how long this lasts; do things get back to normal in future ages?
Tips? Yes. Patience. AF takes forever to get through.
Do things get back to normal in future ages? Nope. OF is much worse than AF. A nightmare.
The difficulty of things doesn't get easier - or stay the same - as you progress through the ages. Things get tougher. As they should. Things get easier though if you build a sustainable city and a solid stock and increase strength.

Jubilee

Private
It would be nice to have expansions as prizes. And yes you put down, take up, put down, take up. Not enough storage buildings is another problem.

suethegreat

Captain
Events are a double edged sword. They give you great but Big buildings but you also need spare space to achieve event quests hence often having to store buildings. Its previously been discussed and dissed that we cant store GB's. Aging does give more expansions but then the demands for resources get larger so you do chase your tail. What FOE isnt is a sim type city with no option or reward for appearance ....stack em high lol. Also if large cities would impact game loading I struggle to understand how anyone can play this on a small device anyway but that's a generation thing :) One real bugbear on space is multipart builds that reset the time if you move even accidentally one part of it especially if you have taken ages to get the perfect set up. Can we have some FOE glue please :) (and ok ok you move it around just after you have collected the rewards in an ideal world)

Ariana Erosaire

Chief Warrant Officer
Events are a double edged sword. They give you great but Big buildings but you also need spare space to achieve event quests hence often having to store buildings. Its previously been discussed and dissed that we cant store GB's. Aging does give more expansions but then the demands for resources get larger so you do chase your tail. What FOE isnt is a sim type city with no option or reward for appearance ....stack em high lol. Also if large cities would impact game loading I struggle to understand how anyone can play this on a small device anyway but that's a generation thing :) One real bugbear on space is multipart builds that reset the time if you move even accidentally one part of it especially if you have taken ages to get the perfect set up. Can we have some FOE glue please :) (and ok ok you move it around just after you have collected the rewards in an ideal world)
If you move sets around in reconstruction mode, the timer does not reset. There is a nice way around waiting to collect sets before you can move them.

From AF on you can get more
Yes, I'm now one click away from entering SAM which has no less than 11 expansions in its tech tree!
With the CM's 2023 improvement announcement that they want to make things easier for new players; introducing more at earlier ages would have made the game much more enjoyable. Perhaps now too late to change it but it still sticks in my mind.