• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Research vs Great Buildings

DeletedUser111420

Hey all,

I have a question for those of you semi far into the game, how do you balance your research vs GB's?

My town is Indy Age.

At the moment I have most worthwhile GBs including Cape. Inno, Traz, DT, Arc and soon to be AO. However all of these are around level 3 barring Arc which is 6.

My current thought is to level Arc to 10 and then all GBs to 5. After this I'll head to the next age.

Also, what's your preferred method of levelling? Self contribution? Daily swap? Locking Gold with each other?

Let me know your thoughts folks!

Isa

DeletedUser110195

Well, my strategy now is reach colonial and come to a complete stop on the tech tree once getting the goods techs related to my boosts, push the quests up to post-modern era and get my priority list of GBs built and leveled to my liking. I will only be researching anything when a story quest demands it, that is to say, cannot be finished any other way.

Of course once I hit the wall with story quests and I have to research a PME tech to progress, I'll divide my FPs between research and leveling any GBs that can be, rather than rush full speed through the tree, so I build up a fair amount of goods before moving on.

DeletedUser108047

your strategy will depend for the most part on your game play style - are you a fighter or a farmer? Do you play daily or Occasionally? Are you a plunder victim or a viking rampager in your hood... Are you in a good guild or do you play on your own?

DeletedUser111420

Dane:

I'm a farmer but want to fight more, I play multiple times daily, I'm rarely plundered but attack infrequently, I'm in a top 5 guild on my server.

vikingraider

Emperor
Clue is in my name for what I'm like ;-) I've read on here to get attack buildings to level 10 (Zeus/CoA/CdM) but that isn't really needed imho.

DeletedUser111420

I can hazard a guess Viking at your preferred play-style!

I guess there is no 'right' answer as higher age results in more space for things that generate FP but at the same time levelling GB's earlier on such as my Dynamic Tower allow me to have a bigger store of future age goods over time. If you build a DT during LMA, Colonial or Indy like me, by time you reach Oceanic, as long as you have plenty of high friends like me, you should have between 50-100 goods from the offset to help with GE etc.

I think I like my idea of Arc to 10, everything to 5 minimum, Cape and DT to 10 then romp on to Progressive.

But still, open thread - all input welcome and appreciated.

DeletedUser110195

There's a reason I choose to push the story quests ahead along with building advanced age GBs...PME units vs Colonial units. You put yourself behind a wall of invulnerability, no matter how powered up someone may be, unless they also have those units and a ton of diamonds to rez them when they die to yours, no one will ever win an attack on your city while you're at colonial or industrial....and for the most part, you could turn into the scourge of your neighborhood, because while no one can beat your defense, no ones defense can stop those units.

vikingraider

Emperor
There's a reason I choose to push the story quests ahead along with building advanced age GBs...PME units vs Colonial units. You put yourself behind a wall of invulnerability, no matter how powered up someone may be, unless they also have those units and a ton of diamonds to rez them when they die to yours, no one will ever win an attack on your city while you're at colonial or industrial....and for the most part, you could turn into the scourge of your neighborhood, because while no one can beat your defense, no ones defense can stop those units.

Great post

DeletedUser111420

Great post

I think this all makes sense to me, but I honestly can't remember the last time I was plundered, I usually do my pickups on time etc. Can you just clarify what you mean by PME vs Colonial? Like I'm sitting in Indy so do you mean if I was attacked by PME but had Colonial troops with max GB's I'd be fine?

vikingraider

Emperor
I think this all makes sense to me, but I honestly can't remember the last time I was plundered, I usually do my pickups on time etc. Can you just clarify what you mean by PME vs Colonial? Like I'm sitting in Indy so do you mean if I was attacked by PME but had Colonial troops with max GB's I'd be fine?

He means that from colonial you can do story quests that eventually give PME troops as a reward. No matter what your GB's are, PME troops would own your colonial.

DeletedUser100832

"Cape. Inno, Traz, DT, Arc and soon to be AO. However all of these are around level 3 barring Arc which is 6."

I'd build a Chateau for those loop quests also. Means you convert coins and supplies into goods via loop quests.

DeletedUser111420

"Cape. Inno, Traz, DT, Arc and soon to be AO. However all of these are around level 3 barring Arc which is 6."

I'd build a Chateau for those loop quests also. Means you convert coins and supplies into goods via loop quests.

Great minds think alike, I placed a level one version of this about a week ago :) Now have the decision of whether or not to delete goods buildings for my AO or just level up an age and get the two additional spaces.

DeletedUser108047

@Isaiiah

If you want to be more of a fighter you need to get your Zeus, CoA and CdM and your Traz up towards level 10. The higher you get the more you can fight. Your higher attack will do more damage, your higher defence will reduce damage to you and your traz will mean you can store lots more troops. If you get all 3 to level 10 your attack/defence bonus will be at least 100%/90% - this will make fighting a lot lot easier and make PvP a lot easier (and thus plundering). Yes you can fight well with lower level buildings but if you want to fight in GvG or want to push through more fights - going auto is a necessary evil sometimes - so higher bonuses will mean the dumb AI won't hurt you as much

It is worth waiting in one era to do this for a few reasons:
  • as you improve your troops and fighting ability you can fight ahead on the continent map and the Princess Quest line getting better rewards and higher age unattached troops. These will make it even better for fighting in GE. You should be able to get up to two eras ahead on the continent/quest if you are careful and boost your fighting capacities
  • GE will get progressively easier if you stay in the same era
  • if you are levelling up your GBS (regardless of how you do it) it is best not to be spending on research at the same time; going up an era requires a big investment in research quickly to remain competitive in GE and in your hood
If you are in a top 5 guild there should be plenty of support and swap threads in guild to help you level up your GBs quickly, particularly your ARC and fighting GBs as they have the most guild benefit.

I prefer internal guild swap threads for the most part as you can pick and choose where you want to contribute. Because you are on many times a day you don't have to take the inguild swap every time if it is not going to be beneficial to you. You can wait for another guildee to take it and offer a swap that suits you better.

I would focus on CdM in preference to Zeus, CoA and Traz as you get fps as well. Self levelling - don't - you do yourself out of a reward from someone else's GB and you are not getting any benefit from your ARC. I regularly buy fps with coin. If you are well of for coin and your city produces surplus coin daily then whilst you are standing still - buy fps and invest them in swap threads or use them to snipe hood GBs for increased reward. The game is scaled so as you progress - yes fps get more expensive but equally you will get more coin

I would level up the ARC first to increase rewards then level up the other fighting GBS and Traz using in guild swaps making sure you place in the rewards so your ARC contribution pays out

If you are planning to stay in an era for a while (say more than a week) I agree you should put down a Chateau for the looping quests. Even at a low level it is basically goods and stuff for free

DeletedUser111420

@Isaiiah

If you want to be more of a fighter you need to get your Zeus, CoA and CdM and your Traz up towards level 10. The higher you get the more you can fight. Your higher attack will do more damage, your higher defence will reduce damage to you and your traz will mean you can store lots more troops. If you get all 3 to level 10 your attack/defence bonus will be at least 100%/90% - this will make fighting a lot lot easier and make PvP a lot easier (and thus plundering). Yes you can fight well with lower level buildings but if you want to fight in GvG or want to push through more fights - going auto is a necessary evil sometimes - so higher bonuses will mean the dumb AI won't hurt you as much

It is worth waiting in one era to do this for a few reasons:
  • as you improve your troops and fighting ability you can fight ahead on the continent map and the Princess Quest line getting better rewards and higher age unattached troops. These will make it even better for fighting in GE. You should be able to get up to two eras ahead on the continent/quest if you are careful and boost your fighting capacities
  • GE will get progressively easier if you stay in the same era
  • if you are levelling up your GBS (regardless of how you do it) it is best not to be spending on research at the same time; going up an era requires a big investment in research quickly to remain competitive in GE and in your hood
If you are in a top 5 guild there should be plenty of support and swap threads in guild to help you level up your GBs quickly, particularly your ARC and fighting GBs as they have the most guild benefit.

I prefer internal guild swap threads for the most part as you can pick and choose where you want to contribute. Because you are on many times a day you don't have to take the inguild swap every time if it is not going to be beneficial to you. You can wait for another guildee to take it and offer a swap that suits you better.

I would focus on CdM in preference to Zeus, CoA and Traz as you get fps as well. Self levelling - don't - you do yourself out of a reward from someone else's GB and you are not getting any benefit from your ARC. I regularly buy fps with coin. If you are well of for coin and your city produces surplus coin daily then whilst you are standing still - buy fps and invest them in swap threads or use them to snipe hood GBs for increased reward. The game is scaled so as you progress - yes fps get more expensive but equally you will get more coin

I would level up the ARC first to increase rewards then level up the other fighting GBS and Traz using in guild swaps making sure you place in the rewards so your ARC contribution pays out

If you are planning to stay in an era for a while (say more than a week) I agree you should put down a Chateau for the looping quests. Even at a low level it is basically goods and stuff for free

Dane, thank you for such a detailed response. I like your reasonings, I always had fighting GB's quite far down my list but it does make lots of sense as it obviously scales with age.

My current priority(In Indy):
Get AO in the mud.
Arc 6-10
Cape to 2-5
CdM 5-10
Zeus 4-10
Chateau 2-5
Dynamic Tower 2-5
Arctic Orangery 1-5
CoA 2-10.

Then I'll push on to next era and get my other GB's to 8/10 while trying to push for some Arc prints. Would love any advice/change to this.

Also, another question, with Zeus, CoA & CdM at 10 with an AO level 5, how far through a GE would I get without trading? I have Rogue and Champion farms in my town and get lots of all troops from GE.