• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Reduce time between social interactions from 24 hours to 23:30

DeletedUser111589

So, how about this, first time player aids, plunders or visits tavern get that time assigned as his/her reset time.

This would be preventive measure to both sides. Players won't flock around same hour and players won't lose time every day to start another round. During first day of this system being implemented, players would gain a day as system has been reset and in case people eagerly wait for it (due to announcement which should be avoided), the neighborhood changes overtime and flock will disperse.

Other such thing would be player being assigned random time on first day his/her account is made. However I think this would be harder to code.

DeletedUser111351

Part of the reason I like the 23:30 suggestion is because it is a very simple change for the game coders to make. Chances for bugs are minimal and easy to fix. Impact is fairly predictable. Reset is a design change.

anyone who got shut out could just aid later, get on slightly earlier than the reset and beat those other people to the punch and just send it in cycles like that.
No. If a player can't be on at reset time, they aren't likely to be available just before reset either. Say reset is at 00:00 and I sleep from 21:00 - 05:00. The whole reset window is unavailable to me (before and after).

I'll stop talking about it now though, as clearly you've never experienced the activity flood on a game with a daily reset or believe that there are reasons why here it would be different. Maybe it would happen here, maybe not. No real benefit to back and forthing it.

@Ilela I agree that players having different reset times would resolve the "rush" effect. That said, it would be better if players could set it in settings somewhere rather than being determined based on a random first-click they made. I know I've found myself gaming at odd hours at times (at it's even more likely for me to find a new game at such an odd time). So I happen to be up in the middle of the night and find this new game called Forge of Empires. I start playing and decide I like it. Later I find out that because my first "Aid" click happened at 3AM, that is now my permanent reset time. Even though now that I like and regularly spend my time playing it, I play around 7PM.

Granted, giving everyone a different daily reset complicates the coding/implementation of such a thing.

DeletedUser110195

I'll stop talking about it now though, as clearly you've never experienced the activity flood on a game with a daily reset or believe that there are reasons why here it would be different.
I have, and as you've pointed out, people do that when there's a reason to, as in there's an advantage to be gained tied to getting the daily actions done as soon as possible. With this, it would calm the rush to get this done as soon as possible and would allow players to get to it whenever is convenient to them, rather than the instant they could do so again. I'm sure some meta-players will create charts and graphs detailing precisely when someone collects and when the things they find most valuable to polivate are available for it, but whenever aid resets, when you can do so is dependent wholly on when the player to be aided does their collections.

DeletedUser111589

@One2Rule However, wouldn't you agree that 3am is acceptable. You did aided for first time at 3 am but as you play at 7 pm you lose nothing. You know you will have all aids ready to be clicked and some taverns ready to be visited (full tavern) once you wake up the next day (first day spent idling away).

I hate when I start aiding and suddenly I get a call or have to do something both of which take time. So half of players I can aid will be aidable by half an hour earlier than others. In such case I have to wait to have their times all lined up, ofter resulting moving all times by up another hour.

Set reset time would solve it.

DeletedUser111351

@Ilela The discussion was about the potential rush that happens at a daily reset, as well as potential benefits/punishments players get for being active at the time of reset. The suggestion to allow each player to have their own reset is only meaningful if it distributes a would-be rush and allows each player to gain the benefits of having the reset at a time when they can make use of it.

If reset time has no potential side-effects, then yes, my example of 3 am and 7 pm would work just fine. But, if there are no side-effects from reset time then there is no reason to have a unique reset. The whole purpose of a unique reset for every player is so that they could be online at the reset.

Kwisatz Haderach

Chief Warrant Officer
You cannot do fix reset time, because the time zones, and its kill the charme of the game....

But you can do 23:30....and you can do what i am already proposed, 30min time to collect later and will count the previous time (collect 8:00, nex day 8:20, and the nex day you can collect again at 8:00-8:30...if you miss that you will have new collect time 8:30-9:00 and so on)...

DeletedUser653

Guys I am getting the impression that the original post has been lost and we are now trying to fix something which is not actually broken with suggestions which are no better then we have now.

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
I don't like the idea of a fixed reset time. Those reasons have been pretty well covered by others. But some solution to the time drift would be really nice, which is why I originally proposed a 23:30 clock. I actually originally thought a 23:00 clock, but that probably allows a little too much reverse drift from dedicated/organised players.

DeletedUser110195

I don't like the idea of a fixed reset time. Those reasons have been pretty well covered by others. But some solution to the time drift would be really nice, which is why I originally proposed a 23:30 clock. I actually originally thought a 23:00 clock, but that probably allows a little too much reverse drift from dedicated/organised players.
There's always going to be drift unless you have a fixed point reset, that's just the reality of having a delay between collecting and starting the next collection.

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
Yes, but a 23:30 clock minimises the drift. If you normally do it at 7:00 PM, you can come in at 7:00 PM every day and you'll be fine. If you come in at 7:15 one day, you can still get back to 7:00 the next day. If you're a couple hours late you'll lose your original time slot, but that's your fault.

BTW, this also should not apply to the manual production buildings. You can choose varying times on those; you can start an 8-hour one in the morning and another 8-hour one in the evening, and you've matched or beaten a 24-hour production. If you sneak in a 4-hour one as well, you're ahead. So there's no reason to go to a 23:30 clock for those; there's already ways to keep that at about the same time.

DeletedUser111351

BTW, this also should not apply to the manual production buildings. You can choose varying times on those; you can start an 8-hour one in the morning and another 8-hour one in the evening, and you've matched or beaten a 24-hour production. If you sneak in a 4-hour one as well, you're ahead. So there's no reason to go to a 23:30 clock for those; there's already ways to keep that at about the same time.
I don't see any reason to exclude any 24-hour clock. As you say, buildings with variable choices already have a reduction penalty for those that use the 24-hour cycle. Because of this, no one who can collect multiple times a day even uses this option already when others are available. Adding in the time drift is just a double penalty on those that must use it.

Whether variable-choice buildings had a 24 or 23.30 clock would not actually matter to me. I still wouldn't use it (except those times I know I have a busy day and will use it regardless of how long it lasts). So, from my perspective, I don't really care if the clock on these buildings change or not. I just don't see any reason the change shouldn't be universal.

As for buildings that only have a single production cycle and it is 24 hours long, these are what I absolutely do want to get this change.

Kwisatz Haderach

Chief Warrant Officer
We are talking about that, and it is in the game right now..in a little bit different way. Quest "Daily Challenge" has an icon to change the "Start" timer of the quest. This can be easily build in the game to other function too.

DeletedUser111351

We are talking about that, and it is in the game right now..in a little bit different way. Quest "Daily Challenge" has an icon to change the "Start" timer of the quest. This can be easily build in the game to other function too.
First, I don't have Daily Challenges. Only some people have them already. Setting a start timer is not the same thing. If I set a timer and set it for noon, tomorrow I come along at noon and Aid someone at noon. Well, I Aid that first person and find a BP. The server delay takes me several seconds, clicking through the dialogs takes me more seconds. By the time I get to player 2 to Aid, I'm already 10-15 seconds after noon. By the time I've finished Aiding my entire list it could be as late as 5 or 10 minutes after noon. This doesn't even include if I am visiting taverns at the same time which adds in more delays. Or if I Aid through the Event History which means I am not aiding in the same order every day. Now the next day I return at noon and go to click and the button isn't ready. I now must wait 10 seconds, a minute, 5 minutes. Amount of time waiting depends on how many delays there were in doing the first day's Aids. Now day 3 comes along and I have day 1's minute delay plus day 2's delay. The delays continue stacking and my time moves further and further from noon every single day. Next thing I know my "noon" collection time is actually 5pm.

The purpose of shortening the timer to something less than 24 hours is so that even with the small delays in clicking, server delays, dialog popups, different ordering of clicking, etc... one can still show up at the exact same time every day and do the collections.

Kwisatz Haderach

Chief Warrant Officer
First, I don't have Daily Challenges. Only some people have them already. Setting a start timer is not the same thing. If I set a timer and set it for noon, tomorrow I come along at noon and Aid someone at noon. Well, I Aid that first person and find a BP. The server delay takes me several seconds, clicking through the dialogs takes me more seconds. By the time I get to player 2 to Aid, I'm already 10-15 seconds after noon. By the time I've finished Aiding my entire list it could be as late as 5 or 10 minutes after noon. This doesn't even include if I am visiting taverns at the same time which adds in more delays. Or if I Aid through the Event History which means I am not aiding in the same order every day. Now the next day I return at noon and go to click and the button isn't ready. I now must wait 10 seconds, a minute, 5 minutes. Amount of time waiting depends on how many delays there were in doing the first day's Aids. Now day 3 comes along and I have day 1's minute delay plus day 2's delay. The delays continue stacking and my time moves further and further from noon every single day. Next thing I know my "noon" collection time is actually 5pm.

The purpose of shortening the timer to something less than 24 hours is so that even with the small delays in clicking, server delays, dialog popups, different ordering of clicking, etc... one can still show up at the exact same time every day and do the collections.

Yes yes it would be nice 5 minute delay in every day, but guess what...because this works for all players in all FOE servers the same, this is fair and not so big problem, because we all must to drift :)

DeletedUser111351

Yes yes it would be nice 5 minute delay in every day, but guess what...because this works for all players in all FOE servers the same, this is fair and not so big problem, because we all must to drift :)
Yes, currently we all must drift. This proposal is that we make it so that we don't need to drift. You may like/want the drift, you may not. That is where you vote would go, +1 to get rid of drift and -1 to keep the drift.

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
The reason I suggested it is not because it's a balance issue that is unfair to some people. It's the same for everyone, so it's not unfair. But it is annoying to have drift, and it would be nice to eliminate it.

Kwisatz Haderach

Chief Warrant Officer
+1 i am voting, just to see if this will be ever considered

BUT drift takes this game interesting, and without it, we lose one factor, witch gives to the game a little bit more difficulty :)

DeletedUser111815

The next GB could have a passive which decreases the collect time on everything with a small percentage. It starts e.g. at 5% reduction and every level adds 0.1% to it or something. I don't like the idea of reducing it to 23:30 hours but I do like the idea of a fixed reset of aids and taverns.

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
The next GB could have a passive which decreases the collect time on everything with a small percentage. It starts e.g. at 5% reduction and every level adds 0.1% to it or something. I don't like the idea of reducing it to 23:30 hours but I do like the idea of a fixed reset of aids and taverns.
That would work too. That probably can't be the only bonus or most people wouldn't spend the resources to build and level it, but if you combine it with something it would be worthwhile.
It would have to be something that's available relatively early, though. Probably HMA at the very latest, and preferably earlier.