• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Product placement advertising

Why does Forge of Empires not use product placement advertising to generate revenue for Inno Games? Garages could be Shell Garages and Royal Dutch Shell could pay a small amount to Inno for each one built. This gives product recognition for Shell and could make the game "cheaper" for players. The cider mills could make Savannah, the chemical plants could be Bayer and so forth

DeletedUser110195

An interesting thought....but with how limited that would be, since such things would not be at end game since obviously, we don't know what will exist tomorrow, let alone in the future. You'd have at most, between progressive and contemporary to have product placement, and then those things are no longer seen in a player's city. That's probably why it hasn't happened...potential companies to advertise in that way not seeing it as worth their money, since so few would actually see it and it would only be temporary.

DeletedUser108047

certain categories would be problematic - you couldn't advertise tobacco companies to Australian based players and alcohol would be problematic from an age point of view.... perhaps drug dealers could sponsor terrace farms?

DeletedUser111351

While I really don't care one way or the other if a logo gets slapped onto one of my buildings, this idea is a definite no go for me.

1. We all already get inundated with too much advertising as it is from every direction in today's society. I have no interest in requesting more.
2. In one world my guild has members from Australia, South Africa, UK, Canada, Mexico, France... just to name some. Most companies aren't so broad in market that they'd have any interest in such a geographically diverse group.
3. Buildings are often rather small on the display. Graphic design elements would make it tough to make an advertisement obvious without changing them to something terribly gaudy. I really don't want to start seeing Vegas-style signs all over my city.
4. Someone would need to be hired to negotiate these advertising contracts. So overhead would go up.
5. Every time a contract is sold, someone would need to design a new building.
6. Every time a contract expired, the existing building would need to be pulled and replaced.

In short, this idea adds a lot of cost and maintenance to the game without adding any value to the player. Even if enough revenue were generated to offset the added costs it still doesn't improve the game in any tangible way.