• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Possible to clear Cragshire with Iron Age Troops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3599

Did a search but didn't see anything ..

but is it possible to clear Cragshire with Iron Age troops (which for me means ballistas, soldiers and archers).

Did manage to clear 2 of the provinces but was wondering on good combos for:

Province 1) 3 Longbow, 3 Heavy Knight, 2 Imperial Guards

Province 2) 1 Longbow, 4 Heavy Knight, 3 Greatsword Warriors

Did try both with 6 archers and 2 soldiers but no luck (so far anyway).

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser503

I've used eight archers to good effect, they need to keep moving.
The other is six and two cav to take out the longbows.
I've used terrain before now, blocking between two lakes to restrict attacks and archering over the top

DeletedUser1081

i got about halfway through Cragshire using either 8 archers or 6 archers + 2 mercs, so do be sure to try 8 archers even when you feel you've tried everything. archers rock.

there was one sector in there, though, that caused me to wait for crossbows. crossbows also rock.

DeletedUser2974

I did all four provinces in Cragshire with 8 archers, though the one with 3 longbows, 3 heavy knights, and 2 imperial guards left me with only two archers left... I did complete it though. ^_^

DeletedUser3599

Thanks to the above writers.

Give it a try with 8 archers and see how it goes.

Will report back.

DeletedUser3157

Hmm. I'm having trouble with the middle sector in that province and for the first time I'm kinda out of ideas. It's the sector guarded by 3 longbows, 3 heavy knights, and 2 imperial guards. To start off, that map is really fast, no rocks are nearby on my side of the battlefield and from the way AI starts the fight, he leaves only 7 tiles where his HK can't reach in round 2. So 1 of my 8 archers will get hit, will be down to 1 health and will likely cause just 0 damage in round 2. Now although 7.1 archers making 1-4 damage should in theory be able to kill 2 HK in my opening, so far in my 7 tries the closest I've got is killing down the 2nd HK down to 4 health. Plus no matter which archer I let AI HK to hit, the other 2 will stay behind and the 2 IG move forward and split just so that I can't move towards either of the remaining HK without one of the IGs reaching those archers. If I play it safe and go after only 1 HK and clear away from IGs I'm already screwed since there will be for SURE 2 HK who will hit me next round, I've wasted 2-4 archer shots AND the longbows will reach me anyways, so I feel thats a risk I gotta take and hope for great luck. Anyways come round 3 and I've got nowhere to hide expect from 1 of the IGs, AI longbows cover the map in middle sitting on rocks and my healthy archers are brought down to 1 health one by one(AI for some reason doesn't choose to attack the injured archers, new to me) rendering them next to useless.

Bottom line is I haven't had really any problems with fights on the map so far(including other sectors in this province), but I'm not even getting close with this one. I just got nowhere to hide against so fast units on this map and AI seems to ignore whatever i try setting for bait. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

DeletedUser

HNow although 7.1 archers making 1-4 damage should in theory be able to kill 2 HK in my opening, so far in my 7 tries the closest I've got is killing down the 2nd HK down to 4 health.

A small note: 1-4 damage does not mean all numbers there are distributed equally, so don't expect and average damage of 2.5.

Regards,

Anwar

DeletedUser3157

A small note: 1-4 damage does not mean all numbers there are distributed equally, so don't expect and average damage of 2.5.

Regards,

Anwar

Could you please tell me how are the damage numbers distributed then? Thank you

DeletedUser

As far as I know the damage can be anywhere between these numbers - but you will do less damage / receive greater damage if your unit is injured.
I haven't beaten Cragshire yet myself (negotiate everything on one world, fighting, but not so far yet on another), so I hope somebody else has good advice for you :).

DeletedUser4089

I think what Anwar is trying to say, is the damage done in a battle doesn't necessarily equate to the average of the possible damages. The damages are probably generated randomly between 1 and 4 for each separate move. So, you could get lucky and do 4 damage each time, or unlucky and do 1 damage each time. It doesn't always average out to 2.5 per attack.

EDIT: See Anwar's post on the next page for a better description of how damages are generated.

DeletedUser

No, not quite, Bartimaeus. The way the combat formula works, is that it generates random numbers within a specific range, e.g. 1 to 4. Within that range, numbers do not neccessarily have the same probability.

For instance, 1 might have a probability of 50%, 2 of 30% and 3 and 4 of 10% each (instead of 25% for all numbers). In this example it is possible, though quite unlikely to kill a unit with 3 attackers. The pure range does not tell you the full story here. And yes, that is intentional.

Regards,

Anwar

DeletedUser3157

No, not quite, Bartimaeus. The way the combat formula works, is that it generates random numbers within a specific range, e.g. 1 to 4. Within that range, numbers do not neccessarily have the same probability.

For instance, 1 might have a probability of 50%, 2 of 30% and 3 and 4 of 10% each (instead of 25% for all numbers). In this example it is possible, though quite unlikely to kill a unit with 3 attackers. The pure range does not tell you the full story here. And yes, that is intentional.

Regards,

Anwar

This sure is interesting. I've been noticing this pattern a bit, but I've usually just assumed it is human nature as I'm much more likely to remember and notice near misses where i got retaled back than lucky hits.

But where I did suspect smth being for sure, was regarding my ballista. I usually use 2 of them and for hundreds of battles there wasn't a single instance where both of them inflicted maximum damage on consecutive shots to an enemy soldier(2-4) or spearmen(3-5). Except until yesterday, when i screwed up and I actually NEEDED 2 maximum shots(I forgot 1 spearmen and it was able to reach my archers). And belive it or not(I for sure did not), I did two 5 damage shots in a row. For first time ever.

But regarding archers, I seem to get max damage shots loads of times. Esp common seems the 7 when doing 5-7 shot against a spearmen. Does the damage depend a bit then if you go against a more advanaced or less advanaced unit?

Other thing I've noticed so far that when it comes to the last hit of the battle, troops almost always manage to inflict maximum or very close to it kind of damage to end the fight.

PS: Are the damage numbers rounded and if then where? In the odds of what damage is caused or when the estimate is projected to the player? For example if my archer does both 5-7 damage on ground and 5-7 damage on rocks, is it worth it do go into rocks?

DeletedUser

There's no kind of climactic battle manipulation at work that would skew numbers towards the end of a battle.

Archers vs. Spearman I just checked and yes - they have a very low probability of doing 5 damage (around 5%). Average damage for archers vs. spearmen is 6.42 (without any additional bonuses from terrain). And yes, it ALWAYS increases your expected damage if you go somewhere to get an attack bonus, even if the damage range does not shift.

Advanced vs. less advanced units on the other hand does not influence the result at all - other than by the more advanced units usually having higher attack and defense values.

Regards,

Anwar

DeletedUser3157

Thanks for all this useful information. One quick more question tho: The actual damage being done is rounded up to a nearest full number(don't know the right math term in english) right? Or there are more decimal point to the damage done and it is actually the health bar of the unit that is being rounded to nearest full number?

DeletedUser

Your first assumption is correct: Damage done is rounded to the closest integer and then applied, there are no "hidden" decimal places or anything.

Regards,

Anwar

Status
Not open for further replies.