• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Population Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Hi, Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched and didn't see it.

I've used all the space in my little plot of land and have a farm to plant. I tried destroying a building. It took away the minimal population I had. To get the population back again I put in another houring building. The end result of that exercise is I had less population than I began with and about 75 less then needed to build the orchard.

So it seems like cache 22. I can't build anything else until I get population. Population comes from building housing.

My expansion option is greyed out except for buying diamonds. I don't want to invest any money into the game until I have a better understanding of it.

All that to say why bother researching if there is no place to put the research buildings?
Is it worth it to destroy buildings?
What is the most efficient way of increasing the size of my city limits?

Thank you

DeletedUser1081

i sympathize - space is hard to come by! but some of the research you do with forge points will give you expansions. and if i recall right, there's also an expansion among the rewards on the continent map (or maybe it was one of the quests). depending on your situation, you might be able to get considerably more population by replacing some of your existing housing with domiciles that hold more people: build one chalet, for example, on a scrap of free land, then destroy a house, then repeat as many times as necessary to get the population up.

DeletedUser

Thank you. I just destroyed a stilt house which brought the population down to 14. I need 22 to destroy any more stilt houses to make room for anything.

I don't see a way around this issue.

DeletedUser1081

well, can you build a chalet or thatched house on the space where the stilt house used to be? generally you need to build the house that accommodates more people before you destroy the smaller one, if you can just find a free 2x2 space to do that ... try rearranging your decorations/trails to get more space? sorry if these ideas are inappropriate to your predicament, but without seeing your village it's hard to guess what would help.

DeletedUser

I just keep upgrading my housing as mentioned. Sell a smaller unit and rebuild where it sat. When it is done being built, your population will go a little higher than before. It may take some time if your population is low but once you get a few in motion, you can do it more rapidly.

DeletedUser

Do you have any production buildings that you can sell? Or maybe a military building? That would free up plenty of population

DeletedUser

I don't have much experience in the game yet, but I've realized that planning ahead and balance are two important factors.

You need to find a balance between military power, gold and supplies income, population, happiness, goods production and space. Is not easy, I know. Let me try to explain a few things before:

• Military Power: You need this to defend yourself (kinda pointless for the time being, since the AI handles the defense), to conquer territories and provinces in your continent, and finally, to attack your neighbors in an attempt to plunder their goods, gold and supplies (not the best thing to do, I know, but is a strategy game after all). In order to build barracks or any other type of military units production, you need space and population.
  • Gold: Your main income comes from houses, which is nice because you need them for population growth. This won't be an issue since you'll always be in need of houses. If you are an active player, try to keep a decent amount of those that give gold every 15 mins, and make the bigger ones, they'll revenue gold every 4 hours.
  • Supplies: The production of supplies is something you can set, unlike gold; keep in mind that the longer you set your production rates, the less supplies you'll get in return per hour. Again, this depends on your activity (how much time you spend on this game). It is hard to keep a balance between gold and supplies, because you get their income at different times, so think about them in terms of income per hour based on your activity.
  • Population: You can't build anything without people, but if you have too much people and not enough happiness, your villagers will stop working and stop producing. At the beginning, sometimes you need space, and you can't sell houses because you won't be able to justify the people used in other buildings; if you are in this case, you have two options: sell one house, build the upgrade, wait until is finished, repeat; or, sell something else that doesn't affect your progress by much.
  • Happiness: If you keep your people enthusiastic, you'll get a bonus of +20% of your gold and supplies income, you reach this point by having 40% of happiness of your total population (multiply your population by 1.4 to get the minimal happiness needed for enthusiasm). However, if it goes too low, your people will stop working. You get happiness from roads at more advanced technologies, certain type of buildings (like schools or taverns) and from decorations (use these only if there's an unoccupied spot in your map).
  • Goods: I'm recently got here, so I don't know much about it yet. When you conquer provinces, you get a type of good deposit; that will help you to boost your goods production until you deplete the deposit. If you are in need of a certain good, you have a few options: 1) Make goods based on your provincial deposits, trade them; 2) Make buildings for that kind of good you need. Since there's not a lot of active people in the neighborhoods, trading is complicated (developers are working on it already), and given the high rate of exchange with the NPC (1:10), I prefer to make the building of the goods I need rather than trading 10 of my good goods for 1 of my needed goods. Another option not so nice option, is plundering from your neighbors, but is hard to accomplish that. You need goods to advance in your Technology Tree.
  • Space: If graphical mathematics isn't within your strengths, then you'll have issues here. Play Tetris for example, you need to fit a certain type of shape into a certain type of space; if it doesn't fit, then it'll stack up until you lose the game. You can make a grid, and cut squares of different sizes, and try to fit them in. I use PowerPoint sometimes to accomplish this, but I'm sure there are better software that could help you out. My recommendation: long streets. Keep in mind that all buildings must be next to a path that is connected to the Town Hall, all it takes is one square of your building touching the path, not the whole side.
    Map.jpg

Here's an example of how I arranged my city:

Map.jpg

There's not an exact formula on how to keep this balance, trial an error will be your best teachers.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thank you,

I about gave up on the city and just started over in another world. Since then I've sold all but one each of the production buildings and some types of military buildings. The offshoot of that is being way out of balance with gold vs. supplies. Losing battles also increases the supply deficit. Thanks for the info on selling lesser housing for larger. That is slowly increasing the population.

DeletedUser

Sense of the game is to find balance between space, supply, gold, happiness and army.
That is my balance:
UwBJS1UG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.