• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Pool Aiding

DeletedUser720

The title may be a little odd -- I know.

Proposal:
Aiding players takes a lot of time (not "a lot" a lot, but still), because after each aid, the server needs to be contacted. My proposal is to "pool" all the Aid actions (with a 5 second timeout), similar to how building collections were pooled until a few months ago (the coins & supplies & co only truly came into your posession after ~5 seconds after you stopped collecting).

This issue is being made worse by the upcoming "friends tavern" feature, which works in the same manner, and you'd need twice (or even more) the time to fully aid & visit a player / tavern.

Have you Checked...?
Wasn't sure what to search, but did a basic search.

Reason:
As I've said, aiding could be done a lot faster if this were to be implemented.

Details:
So basically you'd aid players continuously, but the 20 coins don't add up to your total yet, until you either finish collecting, or stop for more than a certain amount of time (5 seconds should be enough, but anything's fine, really). Then, all the data would be sent to the server, and you'd get the total 20xY where Y = the amount of aided players.

There's also the matter of BPs. Since the information only gets to the server at the end of the aiding streak, BPs can and should only be given at the end. Giving out multiple BPs at the same time shouldn't be a problem, since this is already being done in GE.

The only issue I'm seeing with this is: if a person doesn't know about how this works, and aids a bunch of players and immediately closes the game, everything is lost, because the data would probably not have gotten to the server yet.

Abuse Prevention:
Not sure about cheating, but there might be inconsistencies (however I have to say that there are some at the moment too, so no real change), in the way that if (somehow) you can't aid a player (he left your guild and the guild bar didn't update yet), the server wouldn't return an error, resulting in a loss of the whole aiding streak, but will instead just ignore the aiding that isn't possible.

Removing the "Aid" button would be done on the client-side (same as now I believe), so it would disappear instantly, so there's no chance of a player clicking it twice and being able to cheat by aiding twice.

Summary:
So, at least from what I see, this is mostly a good thing, with just one downside, which I think can be managed.

DeletedUser109385

Ideas similar to this have been suggested many times(including one myself) but they have always got lots of negative feedback but still this pool aiding everyone will be a massive help so a big green:
+1
P.S: You earned a follower!

Vesiger

Monarch
Sounds reasonable - it doesn't affect gameplay, only the mechanics of transmitting the actions to the server (one at a time versus in a batch). I don't know how major the effects on the back-end code would be, though; it could be tricky to implement.

DeletedUser720

Development-wise, the only thing that could pose a problem is the response time. Updating around 240 records (assuming you aid fast enough and there's only one batch) in god knows how many tables, could result in a large response time and maybe even in high load of the DB server.

Developing this should be fairly easy (obviously not knowing what's back there, but still).

DeletedUser12146

When I add 2000FP to GB, I make 400 clicks, which are 400 requests to server. I invest 5.2k on average/per day, so that is a lot of clicks...
What I'm trying to say, that Inno doesn't care about this "micro" optimizations, or they don't know how to do them (should hire me to fix that for them).
I'm for any idea that speeds up this slow game.

Belergon

Private
+1 I think is going to be quite essential to have something like that. With Friends Tavern and Aiding its already going to be alot of time spent behind the screen , doing mind numbing clicks. 140 friends, 80 guild members and then 80 hoodies to either attack or aid. And now there will be Friends Tavern camping of which tavern you can sit into.
So Inno, please do make that lovely little button.

Galladhorn

Monarch
+1

Just out of pure ego, but I still find Aiding a most annoying part of the game (read time consuming and tiredly repetitive). Before AID it was even more time consuming - AID a such was a huge update on that aspect of the game. But now with Tavern added have a pool AID function would certainly be much appreciated. Certainly the proposal would need some programming to work.

-There could also be a Tick On/Tick Off function for which players should be included in the Pool AID. [ AID LIST ]

DeletedUser109385

+1

Just out of pure ego, but I still find Aiding a most annoying part of the game (read time consuming and tiredly repetitive). Before AID it was even more time consuming - AID a such was a huge update on that aspect of the game. But now with Tavern added have a pool AID function would certainly be much appreciated. Certainly the proposal would need some programming to work.

-There could also be a Tick On/Tick Off function for which players should be included in the Pool AID. [ AID LIST ]
I agree entirely, with this Tavern aid we seriously need a pool aid button as it's seriously not possible to spend time behind a screen doing around 200 clicks, seriously getting annoying.

PomPoms

Sergeant
+1

I love this idea of the Tick On/Tick Off function. Not sure if this was what the OP meant, I read it as still having to click each one but no wait time? But if the ticks stayed there until you turned them off, with just one click per group (Neighbours, Guild, Friends) Wow! That would be awesome! Plus you could still attack ones you want to attack. The only down side would be still having to do it manually if you wanted to "weed" inactive friends...

Could the OP clarify on how many clicks we are talking here?

Belergon

Private
Tick on/tick off button would be good. You don't always want to aid absolutely everyone. Someone doesn't aid you for years so I don't want to aid them back either. But aiding plus tavern visiting does take way too long and is complete waste of time. There is lots more useful things to do then mindlessly keep clicking the same button over and over again.

DeletedUser720

I love this idea of the Tick On/Tick Off function. Not sure if this was what the OP meant, I read it as still having to click each one but no wait time? But if the ticks stayed there until you turned them off, with just one click per group (Neighbours, Guild, Friends) Wow! That would be awesome! Plus you could still attack ones you want to attack. The only down side would be still having to do it manually if you wanted to "weed" inactive friends...

Could the OP clarify on how many clicks we are talking here?

You're right. I meant it as still having to Aid everyone individually, but there would be no waiting time between aiding, as it is now. Of course, aiding everyone at once would be even better, but I doubt that would get implemented, so I went for something inbetween what we have now and the optimum solution.

The Devs need to work on actual problems, not busy work features. Way too much time is spent on jobs that tax the server's load and bandwidth already. There are only a handful of devs in the FOE team and there time is best spent on performance issues and bugs.