• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Plundering is actually stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet Devlin

Corporal
What games do you even play then? There’s barely a game out there that “mirror the actions we want in the real world”. Even Go Fish would be unplayable by those standards. Wouldn’t be able to play Pokemon or Mario Kart by those standards. And while we’re at it, wouldn’t be able to watch many movies either
The Sims. It's boring. lol

Really? You want to remove all war aspects of the game too? GBG, GvG, GE, PvP. I assume you're not a fan of war in the real world.
Should ALL games "mirror the actions we want in the real world"? I don't like war in the real world. I suppose I shouldn't play Risk then?
That's just silly. Games gives us an option to put on a mask, a character, an avatar and act in ways we wouldn't do in the real world.

You mean friends. Neighbours can't visit taverns.
Nope don't remove the war aspect. Keep it so people can put on a mask and be bullies. Then they can act like a thief, be a thief in a game and be called a thief just as any role-play game should contain. People that steal from me are not my "friend." lol - plundering is stealing from other players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janet Devlin

Corporal
Have the plunderers ever considered that they are hurting those who they plunder from, who may not have the time/money to put into effect all the things that make it harder for them to plunder?
I agree. The answer is plunders don't consider other players only themselves.

I've played this game many ways. I've played as a warrior, a trader and a plunder. I do know what it feels like.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Legend
Agreed. The answer is plunders don't consider other players only themselves. It is all about having more and more power for these players. Perhaps they desire to take on the role of an abuser in a game because they are lacking something in their life or they were abused as children.

I do know what I am talking about because I've played this game many ways. I've played as a warrior, a trader and a plunder. I do know what it feels like.
Just because that’s your reason doesn’t make it anyone elses reason at all

Janet Devlin

Corporal
Just because that’s your reason doesn’t make it anyone elses reason at all
I'm sure there are many reasons as there are different people but I thought what the thread was expressing was the feeling it gives to steal.
Feelings like..
if players feel traumatised and violated when they are plundered there's always candy crush :)
isn't really about reasons is it? This seems like an emotional response to me.

Correct and it’s a great feeling when you Get all the free goodies from unsuspecting neighbours
having fun are we?

Unless someone comes up with a reason like "we are so trying to help you" give me a break, plundering, looting, stealing or whatever else you want to call it is all about self-fulfillment. And that feels so good. I can hardly wait to read any of the reasons for being a thief, "we do it to equal out the balance of the game and give others more motivation to play the game because mainly we are so caring!" yeah right, sing me a nursery rhyme while your at it I might even believe it. - this was a sarcastic remark

Emberguard

Legend
expressing was the feeling it gives to steal.
Feelings like..
The feeling of plundering doesn't explain why someone started plundering or why they continue to do so. You're comparing it to abusing others, being abused or "lacking something". That may be the case for some, that doesn't automatically make it a common reason.

Many players from the start of the game back in 2012 through to at least 2017/18 joined with the game being advertised as either a war game or a city-based war game and approached it on that basis and the expectations that come with it being a war game.

It's quite common even for newer players that join and plunder to say the game reminded them of Age of Empires when they saw the graphics. That doesn't have to mean it's about "having more and more power" but rather playing it the way it's presented. For many players it's a war game. Those that aren't reminded of Age of Empires usually compare it to Sim City instead and likewise approach the game on the basis of what it reminds them of

"we do it to equal out the balance of the game and give others more motivation to play the game because mainly we are so caring!
No one's saying that, and it's rather unusual to join a game expecting to help their opponent unless it's a collaborative game

What I have noticed, both for FoE and other games and their communities, there is a definite split in gamer mindset.

You have the Desktop Era players and the Mobile Era players.

While there’ll be overlap and variance in places, Desktop players are far more likely to go into a game guns-blazing, no-holding back against the opponent, opponent will hit back type mindset. They’re more likely to want a challenge from an opponent due to what was popular back when CD’s on PCs were the popular choice.

Mobile players might have never even had access to a Desktop and therefore their expectations is ging to be based on whatever they grew up playing. Things like candy crush, flappy bird, fruit ninja, jet pack joyride etc. Totally different mindset on what rewards should be like and where the challenge should be

The difference in mentality is visible even when comparing GvG to GBG or the very top guilds of Diamond in GBG to everyone below them.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Legend
yes but only because you can remain hidden away online, nice and safe
If this were a real life boardgame instead of a online game, I'd sure hope the opponent is a good sport.

I play boardgames in real life where you have to be in the same room to play and at no point does anyone within the group feel their safety is at risk or take it personally when there's a plunder mechanic in those boardgames. Neither does anyone within the group consider themselves to be stolen from: we're not keeping anything from the game outside of the game. The game belongs to the game owner, the materials are for the purpose of the game and you lose everything to start again anyway

legend9182

Major-General
yes but only because you can remain hidden away online, nice and safe
Oh so you would beat someone if he/she knocks you off the board game for his safety/progress.
What a childish attitude?
Who let's these 5 year olds play the game like forge of empires.
Kid its a game for 7+ not 7 below

Unklelol

Private
Game morality has nothing to do with real life morality.
In FoE, unprovoked aggression and war is an acceptable and encouraged moral stance. We have GvG, GbG, PvP, attacking players directly. We then have GBs that reward us for attacking as well as making it easier to attack.
Plundering is also encouraged in the game rules. That is why we have GBs that reward you when you plunder another player.
It is not stealing because that would be illegal, but the legitimate war trophies are there for the picking.
It is not bulling. I start at the top of my hood and work down. So everyone is treated equally and I am not picking on anyone.
At the end of the day your city in FoE is safer than SimCity. no fires, earthquakes etc You really loose so very little when you get plundered.
You can ignore it, attack back or take better protective measures. And the player will only be in your hood for a fortnight

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
Game morality has nothing to do with real life morality.
You can ignore it, attack back or take better protective measures. And the player will only be in your hood for a fortnight
True for what you are saying. However, the Snowflakes, Whiners and Cryers will always find something to make noise about - as if they just cannot understand the difference between real life, and a computer game.

Janet Devlin

Corporal
True for what you are saying. However, the Snowflakes, Whiners and Cryers will always find something to make noise about - as if they just cannot understand the difference between real life, and a computer game.
I disagree. Morality is the same everywhere. It doesn't matter if you are playing a game or playing games in real life. Those in power, real power just play games with more money and more powerful toys. It is what you do with power that matters. Now when someone in real life uses power inappropriately they can actually hurt other people in a very large way. Games do not afford that much power but the idea of morality still exists. That is why people say that some people hide behind their keyboard because they can bully others anonymously. Of course in a game if abuse does occur no one is going to make a federal case out of it unless the abuse extends into real life.

I do here now reject how you attempt to run down other players because I am one of those people. I am not a snowflake, a whiner or a cryer but I could say the same about you? If you don't get your way by being constantly padded on the back as Mr. Right will you revert to striking down others by calling them names? Or perhaps attack and encourage others to plunder that person in game play? I can say for fact that it has been done by some players who like brag about their plundering conquests. The question here is this what it means to be mature?

In this thread I do not hold the same opinion as Emberguard, legend9182, Ikee Locc , klod hans, Unklelol or others such as Knight of Ice concerning how the game of FOE is played by some.

Just because I have a different viewpoint I don't see that should justify being attacked, humiliated or bullied with the use of name calling.

FantasticMrFrank

Brigadier-General
I disagree. Morality is the same everywhere. It doesn't matter if you are playing a game or playing games in real life. Those in power, real power just play games with more money and more powerful toys. It is what you do with power that matters. Now when someone in real life uses power inappropriately they can actually hurt other people in a very large way. Games do not afford that much power but the idea of morality still exists. That is why people say that some people hide behind their keyboard because they can bully others anonymously. Of course in a game if abuse does occur no one is going to make a federal case out of it unless the abuse extends into real life.

I do here now reject how you attempt to run down other players because I am one of those people. I am not a snowflake, a whiner or a cryer but I could say the same about you? If you don't get your way by being constantly padded on the back as Mr. Right will you revert to striking down others by calling them names? Or perhaps attack and encourage others to plunder that person in game play? I can say for fact that it has been done by some players who like brag about their plundering conquests. The question here is this what it means to be mature?

In this thread I do not hold the same opinion as Emberguard, legend9182, Ikee Locc , klod hans, Unklelol or others such as Knight of Ice concerning how the game of FOE is played by some.

Just because I have a different viewpoint I don't see that should justify being attacked, humiliated or bullied with the use of name calling.

This is not a moderation issue, I didn't write this as being offended but rather do see this as a debatable in-game/forum power issue conflict.
Just a big whine in my opinion, plenty of plunderers I know are the most helpful players in the game, sorry your so upset by the concept of the game features time to move on if it’s causing you such emotionally outbursts

Janet Devlin

Corporal
what would you call people who steal in real life or in the game, and your saying you are not name calling??
A thief.
Define thief: one who steals. Define Pirate: one who plunders

Just a big whine in my opinion, plenty of plunderers I know are the most helpful players in the game, sorry your so upset by the concept of the game features time to move on if it’s causing you such emotionally outbursts

Don't recall writing anywhere I was upset. If I get upset will make that crystal clear. Nope not upset just giving my opinion.
Yeah true, I've been helped by plunderers. They come into my city and steal from the working class. :lol:

FantasticMrFrank

Brigadier-General
A thief.
Define thief: one who steals. Define Pirate: one who plunders

Don't recall writing anywhere I was upset. If I get upset will make that crystal clear. Nope not upset just giving my opinion.
Yeah true, I've been helped by plunderers. They come into my city and steal from the working class. :lol:
End of the day they are stealing or plundering pixels, no value in real life lol.

Yipes! Somebody is having more trouble with life than just plunderers in this game. Trouble exists in all games - like monopoly - and the greatest game of all Real Life to deal with - thieves are everywhere, murderers abound, wars are on the horizon. You just can't craw into a hole and whine about it. That accomplishes nothing!

As far as this game is concerned, there are things you can do to hold the plunderers at bay. Many suggestions have been given on this subject such as collecting on time, but the counter measure Must be taken by you.

Janet Devlin

Corporal
Yipes! Somebody is having more trouble with life than just plunderers in this game.
Indeed. I'm less inclined to "whine" and more inclined to willfully express a little truth instead. Of course very often there isn't a lot we can do about it in life sometimes. With pixels and how we do love those pixels that for some reason pixels become so dear to us, maybe because we have become addictively attached over long periods of time that we don't desire our enjoyment to be plundered. Yes we can look for ways to counter act. Monopoly designs are based on rents and fines not thievery.

All I can hope for in my real life is that someone can read my words not as a whinny baby but as a cry for justice. Let those that sit at long tables who attempt to harmfully rule over aspects of other peoples life and then go on to brag about it suddenly see who they really are or who they might be imitating.

I enjoy MY game and in doing so will not provide one penny into this free game.​

Status
Not open for further replies.