• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Penalties for high unemployment (available population)

DeletedUser3707

Proposal
There is to be a penalty if a players nation has too high a number of unemployed/available population.

Reason
1. The game will be more realistic. I have 1/3 unemployment in my nation, and if any nation in IRL had that, there would be mass rioting. A player could build nothing but houses, have 100% unemployment, and face no consequences. 2. It'll add greater strategy and balance. If they have too high Available Population, then consequences will result.

Details
If a player reaches a certain percentage of Available Population, then Happiness will be reduced. Or perhaps events will pop up like "Rioting has resulted in X amount of gold or supply or goods lost".

Balance/Abuse Prevention
As stated, players won't be able to build nothing but houses for a quick leap in gold. They have to balance, and utilize Available Populations (building structures that put the population to work) before building more houses.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4800

Just no. This is not that type of game, in fact you are rewarded if you have more population with more coins. Due to the strategic nature of the game and planning aspect, it shouldn't penalize people who planned ahead and have more population then required.

In fact you can't even build buildings if you don't have at least 500 population in the later stages. I mean if I want a goods building its 500+ population that I need to have more in advance.

So massive no. This idea needs to be moved to the "bad ideas" section, its that bad.

DeletedUser

Not really sure about the population aspect, but there should definitely be rioting! Not just a message though, it would have to be visual. A few townsfolk start to gather on a street and rabble rouse, next thing you know they're burning down buildings lol I've enjoyed that feature in other single player city building games. No idea what it would take to set off the unrest, but there should for sure be riots.

DeletedUser7719

-1 from me: There's a reason why gallows and pillories bring happiness ;)

DeletedUser

+1 from me,
Why:
1.) Adds up a bit of a challenge to the game
2.) Indeed makes things more realistic with the (inflation part)...
3.) This could be: if happiness is above 200% you get penalty #1, if it's above 250% penalty#2

where:
penalty #2 > penalty #1
penalty #1 = the opposite of production bonus at 100%
penalty #2 = the opposite of production bonus at 120%