• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Peaceful Cities Movement

DeletedUser111867

As in any game, there are unintended exploits available when players behave in ways that the developers didn't anticipate when they introduced new features; it's like tax law.

We have a tax law so the wealth of the many is shared to provide for the good of all; the original concept being that it would be a fair and equal way for everyone to contribute to society unlike the clearly unfair ways in which people are exploiting the game mechanics which oddly enough also mirrors the tax system in real life as certain people will exploit it to their own gains as the quickest way to win at life or a game is to cheat or through exploitation.

DeletedUser111867

Actually I spent like 20 $ in 2 years so no I'm from the other crowd. People getting diamonds because they has a city with wishing wells and by doing repeatable quests in every world and like Augustavian said above my post its a slow creep and not rushing through ages.

I don't know about those who paying real money but there should be such people because otherwise this game would not exist. I think they deserve taking high ranks.

Still clearly didn't read my original post as it really has nothing to do with diamonds.......

DeletedUser110297

simple solution - have worlds/servers that offer PvP and those that don't. Many other games do so for those of us who would rather not be a part of bullying and stealing - neither of which are considered acceptable in my culture (but obviously in others it's okay, which i don't understand)

i've spent a lot of time on this game so far and have even supported inno with diamond purchase, however, this flaw in the game will soon cause me to leave it.

DeletedUser110297

This is a war game. I like ur approach but be glad that other people cant conquer your city and you lose it (e.g grepolis, tribal wars1/2, and other empire games..). choosing ur neighbourhood tho..... that can seriously be abused.

it's not a war game, it's a city building game. bullying and stealing are not okay where i'm from - perhaps it is where you are from?

Dead-Eye

General
simple solution - have worlds/servers that offer PvP and those that don't. Many other games do so for those of us who would rather not be a part of bullying and stealing - neither of which are considered acceptable in my culture (but obviously in others it's okay, which i don't understand)

i've spent a lot of time on this game so far and have even supported inno with diamond purchase, however, this flaw in the game will soon cause me to leave it.

I got a better idea Pooch. Why not just play the game and stop moaning? Really. Call it a war game, strategy game, city building game or whatever, having a good defence is all part of it. If you don't have that guys like me are gonna nick your stuff. Coming on line and whining about it does nothing more than paint you as a wuss.

incidentally, what culture?

DeletedUser109475

Plays a game with barracks, troops and battlefields but doesn't like the fighting aspect. The only thing that springs to mind is What the heck did you expect? Those barracks, troops and battlefields are a clue that led me to conclude what type of game I could be signing up for.

DeletedUser

I for one am getting fed up of this so called "PvP" because it is just completely unfair, regardless of what buildings it has, I am sick to the back teeth of logging in every freaking day, and having special buildings plundered EVERY SINGLE DAY for a freaking month+ whats the point in having and earning these buildings if they are always plundered by people 2+ ages higher and on 24h cooldown, this is why they get plundered, because I log in slightly late, always the same buildings. logged in late.. by the time I get on tonight 3 plunders, always from higher ages on:

The King
Hall of Fame
Zen Zone (with neighbour bonus)

I have NO CHANCE to defend these due to the age difference, and because the bottom 2 cant be polished either, either exclude these buildings, or at least make the system fair, because it is getting beyond fun and tiresome being unable to use a building for a month.

the quests are very "city building" never seen any plundering ones, only adventure ones, so even if we have barracks or whatever, we still need them to do that, the plundering system, to me, seem s like a way for coiners to be douches, rather then hold any point.

DeletedUser108047

easier to change your habits and strategy than change the game...

collect on the app - you can do that from your phone anywhere any time
use the 24 hour shield from the tavern
disconnect the buildings in question for a period of time thus changing the collection time
store the buildings in inventory and use something else
friend them
fight back - maybe they'll leave you alone
progress your personal score by spending on tech tree - you'll probably move to a different hood....

DeletedUser110131

Jeez, another one...

First things first. There is an opt-out, and it's based on cooperation. Go to your Tavern Shop, and buy a City Shield. If you have enough good friends, which a "cooperator" like you should, 8000 silver a day should be doable. If not, a 30% defender boost certainly should.

That endlessly repeated "bullying" charge... Like all MMPOGs, FoE relies on players to provide the dynamic content of the game. Like all strategy games, that dynamic content is supposed to provide challenges and obstacles. Players who attack and plunder are simply providing the game with its intended content. Under no circumstance can that be construed as "bullying". Players who either don't want to defend themselves, or are incapable of it, also provide an intended content: The easy mark, there to motivate attackers to use the PvP function.

Defense isn't very difficult, and no different from "peaceful" challenges found in all city building games, such as securing against natural disasters, ensuring proper supplies, dealing with protests, etc.. The main difference is that it's a dynamic function that's provided by other players, rather than an algorithm based on AI or pure randomness. If defending isn't for you, your Friends List doesn't provide enough silver for a shield, and you can't be bothered to collect on time, then the game provides one final alternative, namely to accept the losses as a challenge of the game. Accepting certain costs as a result of priorities is an element of all strategy games, including pure city simulations.

What gave you the impression that being at the top of a neighborhood is due to randomness, I have no idea. It's all about priorities and strategic decisions. You expand your tech tree, develop your city, work the quests, you do so intelligently, and you don't progress to the next age until you're prepared for the challenges it will have. Planning your next move, in order to overcome challenges in the most effective way, is what strategy games are all about. Rushing heedlessly ahead, with no plan and an unbalanced and undeveloped city, should be punished, is intended to be punished, and will be punished. All proper strategy gamers understand, expect, and want this.

You're essentially asking for an easier game, complaining that the current version is too difficult.

True, the game has changed several times, and will change again. Those changes have always expanded the game. This is fundamentally different from your demand, which is to limit and reduce the game. I know this has been said before, but it bears saying again: If the gameplay contains something you truly don't like, quit the game. Complaining that the developers aren't tailoring the game to your demands, isn't reasonable.

As far as cooperating is concerned, it's quite depressing that members of your guild feel that it's necessary to beg and offer FPs to have others take trades that they desperately need. Unless the trade was extremely unfair, that would be unthinkable in all fighting guilds that I know of. You certainly have no basis for claiming that your gameplay is all about cooperating.

Then to something unusual about your post: Spamming. Unlike PvP, it's not an intended element of the game. Your confession to spamming both players and support is, quite frankly, startling. That you weren't suspended, or even banned from the game, is surprising. Where your attackers are simply playing the game as intended, you're not. Your spam is pure, inexcusable bullying. If you'd tried it on me, I would've made sure to attack and plunder you every single day, every single time you ended up in my neighborhood, indefinitely. I might even have extended that to include your entire guild. During periods when I didn't have the time or inclination to attack and plunder, I'd make time for a bully like you. If I drove a spammer out of the game, that would be a win for the rest of us. I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about it.

As for moderators and support ignoring or not ignoring your complaints, that's entirely irrelevant. The ones who count when it comes to changing the game, are the developers. They won't meet your demands, quite the contrary. Several changes to the game have been to encourage more PvP play, not less. Most conclusive to the developers will be the matter of game balance. An opt-out would be disastrous. It would, inevitably, be abused. People would opt out when they didn't want to fight, and back again when they did. They'd opt out while building their defenses, and back in when they were strong enough. Even fighters would be in opt-out more often than not. It would, quite simply, ruin PvP, for the single purpose of cuddling players who can't be bothered with strategic considerations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ridiculous! I don't attack my neighbors and I'm at the top of my hood with superior forces. If, however, someone comes into my city, I'm likely to begin attacking everyday.

And if al you want is a SimCity game, there are plenty of games like that out their. Stop trying to destroy our game to suit you.

And, by the way:
If you move up the latter of research too quickly just because that's the only part of the game you like, then that's your risk. This is a long term, strategic game - Play it that way!

Last edited:

DeletedUser110131

it's not a war game, it's a city building game. bullying and stealing are not okay where i'm from - perhaps it is where you are from?
It's a war game. How do I know this? Because it has battle functions.

Bullying and stealing isn't okay where I'm from, either. Neither is being a dictator. Neither is annexing other countries, whether by military force or by bribes. There are more differences: Where I'm from, we don't use a bartering system for trade. Instead, we use money. Buildings take a lot longer to erect. Nobody knows what a "forge point" is. That's just the beginning of a very long list. All in all, the difference between this game and my physical surroundings is gargantuan. That's pretty much the point of games, though, so I'm quite okay with it. If you're not, I suggest that you need to reevaluate your decision to play games.

DeletedUser110131

You have certain players who just hang around in whichever era they have chosen becoming these obscenely powerful players by comparison to the average player in their neighbourhood, this is nothing new to games of these types and we all know why these people do it.
[...] The problem is that the game mechanic supports these players rather than offering a level playing field in which if you were raided you could seek revenge; granted if someone is of comparable level to you it is quite possible to seek revenge.
[...] when that player has several GB's giving them in excess of 100% damage bonus its not very hard to see the whys and hows.
[...] You see the same monkeys hanging around at the top of the neighborhood tournament making it impossible for anyone else to gain medals
The game mechanics are fine its the developers lack of action to deal with the people taking advantage of the game mechanics and ruining it for other players that is the issue....

By "level playing field", I assume you mean an arrangement where strategically inferior play does as well as strategically superior play, where impatient and thoughtless choices give as good results as patient and careful development, and where no challenges are presented that require any form of effort from the players...

The "certain players" that you're referring to, are people who have prioritized GBs and city development over tech tree advancement. That's a perfectly legitimate prioritization. What's more, as you have noticed yourself, it's a good strategy. Obviously, you don't have the patience to develop your city properly, instead focusing on mindlessly expanding your tech tree. If you want to ignore the strategic element of the game, that's fine. When you expect to do well in spite of your lousy strategy, however, that's just... entertaining. When you demand that they change the game, so that you can do well in spite of ignoring the strategic aspects, that's distasteful. When you start referring to people who play the game better than you as "monkeys", that's offensive.

That you think that GB development is "taking advantage of the game mechanics and ruining it for other players", brings us right back to prime entertainment value. The funniest aspect is that "building is cheating" is the line from those who claim to think of the game as a city builder game...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser109475

It seems to me that putting in specials with little or no hope of being online to collect them is the problem. Would anyone park a car up in an area they don't know, walk away and leave the keys in the ignition?

The number of defence options outweighs the attack boosting options anyway, watchfires, ritual flames, a decent DA and collecting on time don't cost a single fp, Throw in a Deal and St Baz plus the odd tavern boost, given that it costs 1600fp to take Zeus from 30% attack to 31% and a single watchfire wipes that out multiple times over I know what I would do.

DeletedUser109475

pite of ignoring the strategic aspects, that's distasteful. When you start referring to people who play the game better than you as "monkeys", that's offensive.

That you think that GB development is "taking advantage of the game mechanics and ruining it for other players", brings us right back to prime entertainment value. The real punch line, is that this is the line from someone who thinks of the game as a city builder game...

It seems a common theme, my current hood is ME, #1 has 3.6 mil points, #74 has 233k, no GB's and he's ripping up the battlefields (or maybe not) with a Heavy Infantry barracks alongside his HMA housing and Iron Age goods buildings, though I have to say the forest of trees giving happiness are planted in a nice formal arrangement which is easy on the eye.

Iwateguy

Major-General
They'd opt out while building their defenses, and back in when they were strong enough.

While I am very new to this game, I'm not new to gaming and I don't see why this should be a problem. Wouldn't this just mean the opponents you would face would be able to put up a credible fight? ( setting aside what I've read in the forums about the ineptitude of the AI. ) If the game is about overcoming challenges, why wouldn't you want stronger opponents? If it took someone, for example, 3 months to build that strong defence or a year and a half, why would it matter?

DeletedUser110131

While I am very new to this game, I'm not new to gaming and I don't see why this should be a problem. Wouldn't this just mean the opponents you would face would be able to put up a credible fight? ( setting aside what I've read in the forums about the ineptitude of the AI. ) If the game is about overcoming challenges, why wouldn't you want stronger opponents? If it took someone, for example, 3 months to build that strong defence or a year and a half, why would it matter?
The balance would shift too far in favor of defence; defenses would become near impenetrable. Contrary to what the complainers would have you believe, a decent defence is actually fairly easy to put up. Even without such an opt-out, they're frequently more than just credible. I just finished a battle with defence units three ages ahead of my attack units. I won, but it was costly, and, judging by how people fare against my own defences, the wast majority of attackers would've lost very badly. Kudos to the defender, by the way, for having managed to acquire units two ages ahead of his own. That requires effort.

While challenges are a good thing, (near) impossibilities are not. They could, of course, sweeten the deal with some significant rewards. It would have to be huge, though, as the rewards are borderline, already. There would also be issues like people taking turns attacking each other, deliberately weakening the defences, in order to get those rewards. The change would be a major effort, with some very tricky and extensive balancing. The risk in failure would be to loose players who like to fight. As has been pointed out, we tend to be the more active and profitable players.

The far easier, cheaper, and more profitable option would be to get rid of the players who would be happier playing with a nice coloring book, anyway. That's a win-win.

I wouldn't mind a smarter AI, though; one that could use some more interesting tactics. The battles can get a bit too formulaic. They could offset a moderate increase in difficulty with a moderate increase in reward. That would entail a balancing issue, but on a much smaller scale. The programming requirements would be significant, though. Anyway, that's a completely different discussion, even if it might make the complainers somewhat happier.

DeletedUser110131

It seems a common theme, my current hood is ME, #1 has 3.6 mil points, #74 has 233k, no GB's and he's ripping up the battlefields (or maybe not) with a Heavy Infantry barracks alongside his HMA housing and Iron Age goods buildings, though I have to say the forest of trees giving happiness are planted in a nice formal arrangement which is easy on the eye.
A classic! I have some of those in my neighborhoods, as well. I've been going easy on the bottom twenty in my neighborhoods for a while, but I'm starting to feel that it's unfair to let them off the hook, while plundering the players who actually make an effort. Perhaps it's time for a revision of my rules of engagement...