• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

on a dilemma- archers or heavy infantry

• Thread starter DeletedUser108258
  • Start date

DeletedUser108258

I am at the early middle age map, i already won few provinces and sectors while possessing mounted archer barrack and mercenary(one of each) mixed with iron age units against enemy weaknesses. I am at the point where the majority of provinces already has 3+ artillery units and i find it close to impossible to beat them with my current pool of soldiers. I just researched the heavy infantry barrack of early mid ages and i am on dilemma- should i build barrack for heavy infantry or make a second one for mounted archers. From the provinces overview(the 2 i have access to) it seems a tactic of high mobile archer team can win against the artillery units, fast enemy units are scars(they were a problem previous maps, but thanks to soldiers/mercenary no more). On the other hand heavy infantry does not seem like an option for most of the remaining sectors, since light units are present in a few and there rly is just 1 sector where i could make a great use of heavy inf. At the same time i assume next maps i explore will start with light units of the next age, where armored infantry can be the shield that separates my arches from them.
Few extra pros and cons- Archer range building is cheaper(in terms of population even), but takes more place; having a big mounted archers squad can be the winning tactic for the moment, but not in the long term, where infantry will supposedly have important part to play.
I even started considering using the respective population/place for goods building instead and unlock some sectors by negotiation, however this will shrink my chances at the pvp tournaments.
I know there is no ultimate answer to my dilemma(or even crossroad), but more experienced players might point me to something im missing from my perspective, so any additional input is welcome!

DeletedUser15432

If they have artillery, I used light troops, not fast attack to conquer all EMA provinces (14 times)

DeletedUser108258

If they have artillery, I used light troops, not fast attack to conquer all EMA provinces (14 times)

I did use light units for the first sectors with artillery, but now their artillery is mixed with heavy infantry that protects it and my light units cant approach it. I have placed fast units out of the discussion and i was speaking about mounted archers, not melee cavalry.
Investing heavily on light troops seems to be an option for me only in 2 of the sectors, while im looking for a more all-around solution and heavy infantry plus mounted archers, or 6+mounted archers seems like such.

DeletedUser

they have made the provinces defense in such a way as to encourage players to build most of the military buildings of that age to get the best results. That being said, i really didnt use the mounted archers at all. i almost always used artillery mostly, sometimes with archers and sometimes with a heavy to use as a sort of shield. i would use my artillery to take out their artillery first, keeping note of which of theirs would attack first thus giving them as few attacks as possible. Also, though they did not even have GB when i was in that age, it is a good idea to get your attack boost up a bit to aid your troops. i hope this helps and provides you with the most success.

DeletedUser96867

You don't want to use heavy infantry to attack artillery. Heavy infantry is slow moving so takes more turns to reach the artillery to attack, plus artillery gets a bonus against heavy units.

For attacking a mix of artillery and heavy units I would suggest using the same number of artillery units as the enemy has +1 (your artillery gets to move first) with the rest being archers. Hold your archers back out of range of the enemy artillery. The artillery duel should basically be over before the enemy heavy units get in range of your artillery. At that point you'll want to attack the heavy infantry with your archers.

DeletedUser108258

Cosmodad1, what do you mean by "boost your attack"? I am not familiar with this part of the game.
As i said in my initial post i have 1 mounted archers barracks, 1 mercenary and i've just unlocked heavy infantry. I dont have access to the early middle age artillery units(im a bit ahead of my time when it comes to military missions). I also havent built artillery production building from the iron age since i already had cleared the respective iron age maps which contain artillery units.
I did not imply im gonna use heavy units against artillery(i still claim to possess some sanity :p), but to protect my archers. For example, 1 of the sectors is against 5 light units and 3 artillery. I would use mounted archers to reach catapults fast, take them down then save whats left of them behind the already approaching heavy units; well something along those lines. Other sectors has 2-3 artillery paired with some heavy units(and other types), obviously in such scenario i cant use light units to a great extent. Thats why i also considered use a second mounted archer barracks.
I am perfectly aware for minimum casualties the best solution is to use artillery vs artillery(or light/fast units when possible), but i simply dont have them currently in my disposal. Do you suggest i wait a bit and unlock catapults first? I could also build ballistas asap, but im afraid they can only be of short use.
If it was not clear from my initial post, im searching for a way to overcome the catapults sectors with what i got as of right now.

DeletedUser99588

You can boost your attack by having one or more of the following GB's;

Zeus
Cathedral of Aachen
Castel Del Monte

In addition to this the special event buildings, Drummer School and Speakers Corner will also boost your attack. When you get to Contemporary Era and beyond some of the barracks will also boost your attack.

DeletedUser96867

Sylvant in terms of dealing with the catapults about the only 2 options are to use mounted archers or other artillery, ballista would likely do the trick. As for dealing with heavy infantry your best bet is likely to use archers (Iron Age) which have a range 5 rather than the 4 range of the mounted archers. With a 5 range archer and the proper ground you can often attack a heavy infantry at range 5 while remaining out of the heavy infantry movements range on his next turn. With each move you pull back your archers to the point they are just in range so you can attack but out of range of the enemy units attacking you. Check to see where the enemy can move on it's next move by hovering over that unit. In theory a couple archers should be able to take out several heavy infantry using this tactic but only if the terrain is right.

In terms of the boosts mentioned above they take some time to acquire. The GB thanatos100 mentioned give you an extra 3% attack strength with each level increase of the building.

DeletedUser108258

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am gonna consider boosting my attack via GB's, altho thats something im gonna have to acquire in future, plus ill need to learn a bit more on the matter with great buildings.
Fischh actually mounted archers also has 5 range, maybe they did not the time you been in the early ages. Yes i have been kiting heavy infantry with archers, i even used that technique as early as slingers. Ofc as you said you need the right terrain to do it.
I was lucky to get 2 catapults from the treasure hunt, which i plan and try use, but im kinda afraid not to loose any of them as they can help me a great deal. Im still not certain how AI target them, but they are definitely a high priority target. However i noticed if its units are in immediate danger by my other units(ex. mounted archer in range to attack next turn), it would prioritize them instead, i assume duo to higher damage potential. Maybe someone can bring more light regarding this.

DeletedUser15432

If they have heavy infantry mixed in with the artillery either use light infantry and artillery or light infantry and archers

DeletedUser100555

No mention of rogues ? Use them if you have them, and collect more rogue hideouts that come from some events. Unlike PvP, rogues aren't targeted by the enemy unless they are the only unit to hit, but bringing them forward with your troops they can do severe damage to any unit.

DeletedUser

No mention of rogues ? Use them if you have them, and collect more rogue hideouts that come from some events. Unlike PvP, rogues aren't targeted by the enemy unless they are the only unit to hit, but bringing them forward with your troops they can do severe damage to any unit.

Well, you don't want the Rogue to be the only target to hit when attacked as they will die instantly if this is the case. The AI used to target all rogues first, which was great. I don't know if they changed it for the earlier ages or not, but now in the later ages they will hit one rogue and change him and then attack him until dead, then move on to the next one. this has made the rogues as a large force more difficult to depend on in the continent maps.

DeletedUser108258

i dont know what do you mean by rogues, can you explain. Is it the building rewarded from the current event?