• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

No choice but to fight?

DeletedUser111359

So this is the first time I can remember, where you have no choice but to fight battle(s) as part of an event. :(

In the past there's always been an alternative to defeating units.

DeletedUser99588

I thought some of the early events had fighting only quests but could be wrong as I would have fought anyway given an option. The real tragedy is we don't seem to get the plunder ones anymore.

DeletedUser111359

I can't remember an event that didn't have a non-combat option in the last several years at least. On En12 my "battle wins" are still in the single digits, and that's my second oldest world.

Agent327

Overlord
I can't remember an event that didn't have a non-combat option in the last several years at least. On En12 my "battle wins" are still in the single digits, and that's my second oldest world.

Then your memory is failing you. Alternative options do not exist that long and are not always there.

DeletedUser111359

Then your memory is failing you. Alternative options do not exist that long and are not always there.

Events for at least the last several years have been completable w/o any fighting. So as I said. It's been quite some time, at the very least.

Can you actually name an event that you couldn't solve w/o fighting?

DeletedUser6065

Summer 2014 - Quest #17:
1. 'Conquer a Sector with your units, OR gather 90 goods.'
Easter Event 2013 and Summer Event 2013 - Both Quest #8
'Recruit 5 units and plunder 5 buildings OR research a technology that unlocks a military building' (plunder indicates battle w/units necessary).
2. Events began in 2012, but I am at present unable to find quest lines for those 2 events (Halloween and Holiday), however, it would appear 'Fight OR xxxx' quests have been around for a long time.
3. As to an event that did not offer an option, Halloween 2014 Quest #14:
'Conquer a Provence' indicates battle only (Note: Conquer, NOT Acquire).
And in the Forum Thread for Christmas 2012, the following comment was posted:
'Just conquered a whole province, no credit. Am I missing something?
OK figured it out. don't negotiate, got to fight.'
So, it would appear that 'Fight or Fail' quests were part of the original scenario. (But on Christmas???).

. . . . . mk

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

Overlord
Events for at least the last several years have been completable w/o any fighting. So as I said. It's been quite some time, at the very least.

Can you actually name an event that you couldn't solve w/o fighting?

Can you name an event you can finish as a pacifist?

DeletedUser111359

Can you name an event you can finish as a pacifist?

I've completed every event this year w/o fighting, up until the Halloween one, for starters.

And based on what Michael K. looked up the last time an Event didn't give an option to fighting may have been back in 2014. It's certainly been several years at least.

DeletedUser96901

so one event where non-fighters had to fight

but how many events where in the past where fighters where forced to not-fight
buy a sector with goods
do GE negotiation

:rolleyes:

for example

Soccer Cup 2018
Quest 8:

Coach: "Acquire 3 sectors without fighting OR Negotiate 5 encounters in the Guild Expedition"

Summer Event 2018
Quest 12:

Pirate Jane: "Acquire 3 sectors without fighting OR Complete 6 Guild Expedition encounters by negotiating"

Isodora 2016
Quest 10:

Isadora Duncan: "Acquire 2 sectors without fighting" and "Spend 11 Forge Points"

and many many more

3. As to an event that did not offer an option, Halloween 2014 Quest #14:
'Conquer a Provence' indicates battle only (Note: Conquer, NOT Acquire).
And in the Forum Thread for Christmas 2012, the following comment was posted:
'Just conquered a whole province, no credit. Am I missing something?
OK figured it out. don't negotiate, got to fight.'
So, it would appear that 'Fight or Fail' quests were part of the original scenario. (But on Christmas???).
halloween 2014 is wiki wrong
it was acquire a province.
getting province was never complete fighting or complete buying

and winter 2012 was
conquer a sector or research a military building

so could be done without fighting (but he failed on the map because the alternative was not buying a sector)

but funny in that winter 2012 a little bit later was
buy a sector with goods. not alternative option

so fighters where always discriminated but the non-fighters are the ones who complain :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

I try to understand how to play this game without fighting.
It never crossed my mind to grasp this game in a non fighting manner.
Why the resistance to just simply complete an encouter via the GE via fighting?
The first few fights on level one should be doable for everyone right?

I get that some don’t want an eventual confrontation with an insulted neighbor.
The fact I don’t care for that doesn’t mean that I don’t understand some people don’t like to have such encounter how briefly that may be.

DeletedUser6065

. . . Alternative quests for certain quests have been introduced in may 2017. Anything before that was just coincidence.'
How can you possibly say that, and actually believe you know what you are talking about? The thread evolved into alternative options, NOT alternative quests. And how can you say 'coincidence' and keep a straight face? Coincidence?? These quests were planned and written. And tested. And played.
There has ALWAYS been the alternative option, as I now have seen from various posts on the Forum from Halloween 2012 (the first event), that it was in fact possible to negotiate, rather than conquer. It is just the application of the option throughout the various events that has been sporadic.
The 'Blood or Bribe' option (however stated) has been available from the beginning. Not 'recently'.
Son, I see you joined this game somewhere around 2017.
I've been here since 2012.
You're in over your head.
Your remind me of Desypete.
Another mouth.
. . . . mk
**Hey, Test - don't you miss Desypete too??**

DeletedUser6065

I get that some don’t want an eventual confrontation with an insulted neighbor.
The fact I don’t care for that doesn’t mean that I don’t understand some people don’t like to have such encounter how briefly that may be.
Hi Chalinna,
All I can say is we were all animals back then.
In point of fact - many, many of the early posts here on forum dealt with 'Why do we have to fight to get ahead?'
I suspect that these posts had much to do with the various alternatives we now enjoy.
. . .. . . mk

DeletedUser

Hi Chalinna,
All I can say is we were all animals back then.
In point of fact - many, many of the early posts here on forum dealt with 'Why do we have to fight to get ahead?'
I suspect that these posts had much to do with the various alternatives we now enjoy.
. . .. . . mk

Actually you don’t have to fight at all in this game.
Some events may be impossible to complete but hey,.. principals are principals.
Actually I like the presents I get for each event-quest I can complete: it is all bonus to me.
Sometimes a particular situation or individual principals can result in not being able to complete an event.
No biggy I think makes the rewards more rare and I like that actually.

The completion of an event or even participating in it is entirely voluntary so nobody has to cross personal boundries or principals.
As with anything in life we have to accept the consequences with grace.
Events perfectly suit the strategy game FoE is in which we make choices which may or may not block other opportunities I think the goal is to play FoE with all it has to offer as suits us best.

We are absolutely not forced to do anything at all.

Agent327

Overlord
How can you possibly say that, and actually believe you know what you are talking about? The thread evolved into alternative options, NOT alternative quests. And how can you say 'coincidence' and keep a straight face? Coincidence?? These quests were planned and written. And tested. And played.
There has ALWAYS been the alternative option, as I now have seen from various posts on the Forum from Halloween 2012 (the first event), that it was in fact possible to negotiate, rather than conquer. It is just the application of the option throughout the various events that has been sporadic.

https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.c...-on-recent-questline-and-event-feedback.7503/

Son, I see you joined this game somewhere around 2017.
I've been here since 2012.

Wow, good for you!!!
Been swallowing stupid pills all the time?
Ever noticed there isn't just one country server?

You're in over your head.

Coming from a guy that never had to fight during an event that is rather funny.

Vesiger

Monarch

Yes, but the first few negotiations are also ridiculously easy ;-)

dimondus

Captain
And I'm worried here because I have only 2500 wins in almost 3 years :) and surrounded by players with 6000+ wins.