• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Newish nOOb's takeaways and tips for new players

Usual Suspect

Corporal
Its been a month or so and here are the tips and takeaways so far... will add comments as I learn more, other tips/corrections are more than welcome :)

The biggest tip I can suggest is to pay closer attention to Great Building (GB) donations of Forge Points (FPs)...
Each one has its own rewards and the higher the lvl of GB the higher the reward.
Never finish off a lvl for the GB, this prevents the user from taking a Double Payout when they complete the lvl.
Add as you go, not all at once... this ensures you dont contribute more than is required to secure the place.
Just because you are the first to donate to a GB doesnt mean you will keep that position, your place is tied to the amount of FPs you contribute.
Each position/GB has different payouts... this is important to gauge the competition you will have for that medal.
Payouts are for the first 5 positions only.

Try to resist buying Buildings with diamonds, any buildings, unless you are camping at that age/era, this is because as you progress in the game these buildings will become obsolete with equal, or better, producing buildings... event buildings are the best and can be upgraded to the age/era you are in.
Only use Renovation Kit when you are at the age/era you are camping at... use the One Up ones instead. Renovation Kits can be won as rewards when you complete 7 challenges in the event section and One-Ups can be won in the PvP weekly rewards.

Reserve your purchase of diamonds, if able, until you are offered additional bonuses... these happen often.
When a special event is happening, take advantage and purchase, if able, additional turns with diamonds or whatever currency they are accepting... there are many buildings able to win aside from the showcased Event Building. My experience from the summer event.

Focus on Wishing Wells (WWs) and Never sell Shrink Kits for WWs, WW gives you the chance to get diamonds for the daily production and shrink kits reduce the footprint of the WW. Space is the only finite resource in this game. Diamond Farms are the end goal... as many WWs as possible :)
Dont hesitate from replacing outdated buildings with better-producing ones... if you are progressing to the next age/era, save your resources to buy those buildings.

Never buy FPs with Diamonds, or use them to rush research... these are calculated based on FPs bought with diamonds.
Try not to rush ages/eras until you have a full pantry of goods, 1000 total is the number to strive for each age/era.

There is no need to build each GB, pick which one based on your long term goal... coins become irrelevant but supplies are always relevant.
Focus on attack/defense (att/def) GBs, these pay off over Time and you use less troops.
Also, try to focus on buildings that offer some additional bonus and att/def ones are the most sought after.

Join a Guild that is larger... the coin you receive from Polishing/Motivating the players are easy money.
Try to Time your Tavern visits/aiding your friend list till after you choose which reward from the daily event challenge.
It resets at 8am Eastern Time. Also, time your collection of coins/supplies/goods/Tavern coins till after you receive the daily challenge.
Try to keep a couple of completed tasks, incase the daily challenge calls for other events be completed.

I know I have missed a bunch of things, hopefully, they will be spoken to in comments, but I am sick of typing haha

Last edited:
As this is a tip for newbies thread, here are a couple of questions about the important things I have noticed.

It is fairly easy to get ahead of your army using negotiations in map sectors or run out of expansions for space to build things.
So what is the quickest way to get enough att/def bonus to have an effective army for your age without completing it?
Is there much benefit in having many unleveled GB's, is it better to level 2-3 before placing any more?
Finally gaining enough medals to get more expansions appears to be dreadfully slow, how can I speed it up without long wait times for army recovery?

Last edited:
So what is the quickest way to get enough att/def bonus to have an effective army for your age without completing it?
There are no quick ways in FOE. Patience is key.
Build basic military GB's, Zeus, CdM, CoA, and push them to at least lvl 10 each.

Finally gaining enough medals to get more expansions appears to be dreadfully slow, how can I speed it up without long wait times for army recovery?
Invest in GB's and make sure to secure reward spots. Pick up incidents. Solve quests. Win GE encounters...

Last edited:

Usual Suspect

Corporal
Appreciate the vets weighing in and correcting and adding their tips :)

The biggest takeaway I have found is investing in high lvl GBs, just make sure to never advance the lvl on your own... unless its a passive boost (no daily rewards) like Zeus.
The higher the GB the longer it will take to payout but its definitely worth the effort... check the reward vs position before you commit, you can do this by hovering over the medal/icon.

Patience is important but so is having an army strong enough to solve the military or current daily quests of your age along with having enough things to do, It appears many veteran players including leaders often don't log in for days which isn't always helpful to the newer players.
There need to be more continuous events as they seem to provide more good items to trade, sets with military bonus in the auction house, however, I do understand Inno would like us to spend more diamonds or use their cash shop.
It doesn't take five minutes to lose some military units in a well-balanced battle win or lose but it can take 5 hours or more to replace them which restricts the amount of GVG, GE or PVP you can do which is not so inspiring for fun action players.

Last edited:

Powe

Brigadier-General
Patience is important but so is having an army strong enough to solve the military or current daily quests of your age along with having enough things to do, It appears many veteran players including leaders often don't log in for days which isn't always helpful to the newer players.
There need to be more continuous events as they seem to provide more good items to trade, sets with military bonus in the auction house, however, I do understand Inno would like us to spend more diamonds or use their cash shop.
It doesn't take five minutes to lose some military units in a well-balanced battle win or lose but it can take 5 hours or more to replace them which restricts the amount of GVG, GE or PVP you can do which is not so inspiring for fun action players.
Do you think that there is not already too many consecutive events? That's not a major opinion. And most advanced players have thousands of units. Work on getting Alcatraz.

Do you think that there is not already too many consecutive events? That's not a major opinion. And most advanced players have thousands of units. Work on getting Alcatraz.
Haven't seen one since the excellent Summer event so nothing consecutive, Alcatraz seems to be a good tip thanks :)

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Haven't seen one since the excellent Summer event so nothing consecutive, Alcatraz seems to be a good tip thanks :)
The main events for the year has recently been:
1. mid January - Forge Bowl (football theme)
2. late Feb/early March - St. Patrick's Day (note: was previously the much hated Carnival event.)
3. April - Spring
4. May - Archaeology (new'ish - only 2 years old)
5. mid/late June - Soccer Cup
6. late July/August - Summer
7. Sept - Fall
8. mid Oct/early Nov - Halloween (spoooooky!)
9. Dec - Winter/Xmas

We usually at most go only about 2.5 - 3 weeks tops between the big events, and besides those, we still have the weekly/bi-weekly 'events' such as Guild Expedition, Guild Battlegrounds and the GvG group/team activities, plus the Cultural Settlements which will take easily at least a year+ to clear all 3 currently available cultures & earn their relevant 'main prize' buildings.
If you're bored, then either this isn't the type of game for you, or else you're not looking hard enough at the multiple activities staring back at you. :P

As for putting in a 'Traz, don't bother with it until you've unlocked a fairly decent amount of land... it's one of the largest GB's in the game, and you're *MUCH* better off first of all putting down & leveling up to Lv10-11;
1. Zeus + CoA + CdM (your basic military buildings)
2. The Arc (licence to print fps + medals at will)
3. Chateaux Frontenac (your main 'resource farming' GB)
4. Temple of Relics (bonus GE prizes)

And even then, I'd say you're far more ahead to drop in things like HC, St.Marks/LoA, Inno Tower, ect... before considering 'Traz.
'Traz is really more than anything a giant trap for early game players, especially anyone who's camping HMA or earlier eras!

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Can't do as a newbie struggling to finish GE 2, events are the best. Only a few from some GB's, older players or strong cash users get the best medal spots
Don't worry about raking in the medals via GB's until *after* you've built & leveled your Arc to at least Lv10...

Ask around your guild for help obtaining the bp's for the Arc itself - any guild worth its salt will readily help new/small players take the 4th/5th slots on their larger Arcs to help you build up that initial bp set.
Plus they will provide you with the goods at a decent discount, or else even for 'free'. (ie: no "pay me X fps" requirement)

If your guild won't help you to obtain an Arc, then that's a sure sign it's a toxic cesspool of elitist donkeycaves, and you should fine a *real* guild ASAP!;)
Most top 20-30 guilds will happily welcome new players on board and provide them with all the help they need to grow... sure there's a few rotten apples who just snub their noses at anyone below Modern era & who won't/can't dedicate 10hrs a day to grinding out GBG's, etc..., but those are few and far between overall.

Usual Suspect

Corporal
I noticed something that I hope some of the vets can shed some light on... I noticed on many of the highest lvl players that they mix and match sets of buildings. All buildings are from the same set. The Cherry garden set in particular, there was way more sakura rocks... I think they were attached by another piece from the set, not directly tied to each other. Is this possible ?
I also noticed it with the Indian Palace set, with maharaja's palace being seemingly connected together, was four of them in the one city.