• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Newish nOOb's takeaways and tips for new players

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
tried the wheat combo and nada (buy same logic ochre combo wont work), one wheat combines with barn and full att bonus, other just coins.
I think it has to be different buildings to get the bonus. barn-wheat- ochre-begonia-wheat nets full bonus for all of them, my 3rd wheat maxed out by barn-wheat-2nd begonia... going to attach ochre-wheat-1st barn to max out another set hopefully max out the begonia and add another 2 to barn.
Hopefully it works, barn will be 1 away from maxed out :)
Also, the barn can attach itself to multiple buildings of the same (example, my barn attached itself to 2 wheat) going to try a 3rd when I set up my next barn/
buildings... I have enough for two sets :)
I went all in at the start, used all my diamonds to get ingredients and donated, won 4 cottages that I upgraded to Appleton... missing 2 upgrades to get a 5th.
Here's why the Barn itself, and the 'basic' set is bad: (note: spoilered for long explanation)
All told, the full set is a 6x7 size, and @L4 Barn + full connections on ALL buildings, it will net you every day a total of;
- 20fps + 50 goods
- 6%def + 12atk for defending army
- 12%atk + 8%def for attacking army
- 10% coin + 5% supply boost

Now on the surface, that may not look too shabby overall, but then let's consider that alongside the Barn itself, *both* the Sunflower + Primrose buildings also require road connections as well.
This leads to an awkward setup, where you're basically forced to run a road along the one long side of the set, plus the wonky need to run a road up the middle between two fields in order to connect the barn itself.
Adding more roads, effectively adds to the size of the set itself, which we then must factor into how efficient the overall production truly is.
(ie: if we need 14 road tiles to fully connect the required buildings to our MH, then our set balloons from a tidy 42 tiles to a much larger 56 tiles worth of space.

Also note that some of the bonuses are just plain bad - namely that ugly Primrose field since defending army stats are just cosmetic at best in this game.
Our Attacking army stats are what truly matters in this game, even beyond fp & goods generation, as those will eventually plateau naturally on their own. (ie: you'll naturally grow your fp generation via various event buildings + GB leveling + Arc, while having a Chateaux can eliminate ALL other goods production on it's own:P)

Hence why we see most regularly active players are ignoring the Barn itself, and simply using multiple combinations of Wheat + Ochre fields alongside Begonias and/or Scarecrows to maximise the attacking army boosts...
Having a colossal attack boost will then translate into being able to much more effectively farm GBG's + GE, which themselves will skyrocket your natural fp + goods production! (ie: active GBG players are pulling in 100's of fps per day!)

For more even better info, check out Youtube explainers by FoElite & MooingCatFoE - they have some great vids explaining in detail a large number of very efficient set builds. ;)

I am hoping to get 12 upgrades so I can build this -

View attachment 21927
That looks great!
And there even 4 empty slots to fill in with Lv2 Sentinel Towers for even more def% boost. ;)

Just a thought.... The Chateau Frontenanc requires 1750 assorted Progressive Era goods and 60fps and 5x6 spaces to build just to level 1; the Arc requires 1875 assorted Future era goods and 7x5 spaces 70 fp to build to level 1. How many months/years will it take a player from start to achieve those targets?
How long it takes depends on how active you are, how you play - and your wallet...
You can get Arc and CF to, say, level 10 in the first week or so - if you really want.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Just a thought.... The Chateau Frontenanc requires 1750 assorted Progressive Era goods and 60fps and 5x6 spaces to build just to level 1; the Arc requires 1875 assorted Future era goods and 7x5 spaces 70 fp to build to level 1. How many months/years will it take a player from start to achieve those targets? Contrast that with the requirements for the Fall Event, all a new player has to do is complete the quests, tricky perhaps in places but possible.

Perhaps a player who has been playing for years and already has built a Chateau and an Arc may have no desire for the Harvest Barn set, but there will be a lot of players to whom it will offer great benefits, not least of which is aesthetics, and goods should one not be a fighter. And of course, in a year or two a player may decide to replace it with something else.
Find a good guild. ;)
Most of the top 20 guilds are not that elitist, despite what internet hyperbole may have us believe... plenty of them, even some of the most active ones, will take on Iron age cities - even beginner BA cities (as those cost them nothing in upkeep costs), and actively help small players grow. You just have to be active and follow the guild rules. (ie: even a newly minted IA city can manage GE through Lv2 if you've been diligent in growing your Tavern as soon as you unlocked it.)

I got my Arc in EMA and only paid in IA goods @1:2 and 0fps cost. Ditto for my CF.
Leveling an Arc from 0-80 will take up to a year, depending on your own fp stockpile and how friendly/helpful/active your guild is.
CF only really needs Lv10 to become very generous, and every level beyond that is just building a bigger snowball.

The Barn is 'bad' because it's very awkward in it's space usage, gives useless boosts, *cough*defensivearmy*cough*, and takes up a ton of space!
If a new city in BA/IA is looking for a good prize from this event, it wants to focus instead on an Appleton Cottage or two... 12 tile of space, (or 24 tiles for 2), still produces daily goods + fps & carries an attacking army boost.
While the defensive army boost is a bit of an eyesore, overall it's a solid building, and it only gets better as you age-up since the attack boost will grow as you advance in eras.)

Lord Grok

Master Corporal
Most of the top 20 guilds are not that elitist, despite what internet hyperbole may have us believe... plenty of them, even some of the most active ones, will take on Iron age cities - even beginner BA cities (as those cost them nothing in upkeep costs), and actively help small players grow.
Battleground ruined this for us unfortunately. We used to be happy to take on active starting players but the cost of goods for SC is not sustainable. New players don’t have Arc/Obs high enough to cover the cost of goods needed and it’s very hard for players in later ages to trade down low enough to cover it. It works for a while but after a few seasons getting unlucky with key sectors needing low age goods, we made a hard decision to stop accepting players in starting ages, and worked with those we had already to advance ages.

Before I cop criticism for this I’ll just edit to add that we had several players devoting previous space in their own cities to make early age goods for this purpose, and others spending hours to trade down including doing “unfair” trades from high ages directly to low age goods, and we sacrificed farming opportunities for all members by using towers in place of SC where feasible. It took hours of time, wasn’t sustainable and didn’t work anyway - all we achieved was to delay the inevitable.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Legend
Battleground ruined this for us unfortunately. We used to be happy to take on active starting players but the cost of goods for SC is not sustainable. New players don’t have Arc/Obs high enough to cover the cost of goods needed and it’s very hard for players in later ages to trade down low enough to cover it. It works for a while but after a few seasons getting unlucky with key sectors needing low age goods, we made a hard decision to stop accepting players in starting ages, and worked with those we had already to advance ages.
It’s a shame really. ‘Cause if new players managed to get even one fully upgraded (special or event) guild treasury building and kept it in Iron Age then eventually everyone would be able to pitch in through having one treasury building in Iron Age. But it would take time to set up and only works for new players not established ones

Before I cop criticism for this I’ll just edit to add that we had several players devoting previous space in their own cities to make early age goods for this purpose, and others spending hours to trade down including doing “unfair” trades from high ages directly to low age goods, and we sacrificed farming opportunities for all members by using towers in place of SC where feasible. It took hours of time, wasn’t sustainable and didn’t work anyway - all we achieved was to delay the inevitable.
Sad, but true :( And you're not the only guild going in that direction.
Well, just - cut down on GBG buildings. Right? Maahahahaa :lol::P

Emberguard

Legend
Which is why I have kept my Oasis (what is the plural? Oases?) in Iron Age and not "stepped" them up.
That's a great sentiment but would be nice if it had a Lvl 2 with the same stats as Tribal Square lvl 2 or if it were one of the buildings that could more or less match the output of boosted goods buildings.

For Oasis once you leave Iron Age it would almost be guaranteed to be more efficient to just use and rotate between normal techtree buildings for Iron Age goods. Two of the Iron Age goods buildings are the same size as Oasis, one is smaller and the other two are only slightly bigger in size. But your continent boosts increase output by 5 times.

How many months/years will it take a player from start to achieve those targets? Contrast that with the requirements for the Fall Event, all a new player has to do is complete the quests, tricky perhaps in places but possible.

Perhaps a player who has been playing for years and already has built a Chateau and an Arc may have no desire for the Harvest Barn set, but there will be a lot of players to whom it will offer great benefits, not least of which is aesthetics, and goods should one not be a fighter. And of course, in a year or two a player may decide to replace it with something else.

You make some very valid comments, I know how hard things are as a noob and find it fairly difficult to proceed at times being F2P only.
It is easy to say take your time build a GB but since starting I have never enough expansions or FP to invest in others GB's for to obtain medals for enough expansions. Of course, it is in the design of the game because Inno would be delighted if we all use the cash shop.
However, my latest problem is not only expansions but getting enough coins to pay for the current fall event quests who are now demanding several payments of over 100k coins to complete just one; this is also extra to the daily quests and other requirements so it's become mainly a waiting game.

In short my city is always bankrupt waiting for buildings/ quests to produce :)

Last edited:

Powe

Brigadier-General
You make some very valid comments, I know how hard things are as a noob and find it fairly difficult to proceed at times being F2P only.
It is easy to say take your time build a GB but since starting I have never enough expansions or FP to invest in others GB's for to obtain medals for enough expansions. Of course, it is in the design of the game because Inno would be delighted if we all use the cash shop.
However, my latest problem is not only expansions but getting enough coins to pay for the current fall event quests who are now demanding several payments of over 100k coins to complete just one; this is also extra to the daily quests and other requirements so it's become mainly a waiting game.
After 1.5 months you should have at least 500k. I have 12 million after 4 months.