• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Content New Neighborhood Merging System

Dead-Eye

General
I have only gotten round to raiding half my hood and much to my dismay most of my vics are an age below me.

DeletedUser109966

Unlike you, majority of players in my hood are age above me.

Unlucky... every player in my hood is in the same era as me. Maybe you are right at the end of your tech tree for that era ?

DeletedUser111589

Unlucky... every player in my hood is in the same era as me. Maybe you are right at the end of your tech tree for that era ?

I'm 2/3rds through it, didn't research military path and it stops me from advancing an age.

Perhaps my use of upper age goods placed me there. I've done a lot on map.

DeletedUser109832

More than a year on from the original announcement that Inno were going to make this better and I still find myself in neighbourhoods that are very unfairly weighted.

On one world I play, not only is half my hood in a higher era, but they are 10s of millions of points ahead, and dozens of percentages ahead in the army bonuses. As points are calculated in part from buildings in your city, and battles won, this shows where a lot of the disparity arises.

No account is given to the attack and defence bonuses that players have. Great Building bonuses are very clearly weighted to be in favour of the attacking player, with very few defence GBs available. Even the occasional special event building doesn't help to get you anywhere near the bonus you need to be able to actually defend yourself from some of these players, and when those buildings do show up you have to spend a considerable number of diamonds to get enough of them to make any kind of difference.

Into state that Forge of Empires is a "free to play strategy game" however it has very clearly shifted focus to become a "pay to defend yourself from those with the mentality of a bully, war game". By that I mean the mentality of some players is "if you don't give me what I want in aid or by donating Forge Points to my buildings, then I will plunder you and take what I want by force because I know you can never beat me". This is very clearly the case with many of that type as the instant you can win and start to do it to them, they run and hide, with some using the tavern city protection option.

City Era and attack/defence bonus should be considered when mixing neighbourhoods.

To make it clear, this is not a whinge.
I do attack players for points or when any Quest requires it, but I never plunder, unless I am plundered first.
I have no issue with any player attacking for points or when any Quest requires it.
I have no problem being plundered by someone when the fight is fair and I have a chance of retaliating fairly. That adds to the enjoyment of the game because you BOTH have to have an actual strategy.
But when a fight is clearly and massively weighted against you and you have no possibility of defending yourself or retaliating, then that is just insane.

DeletedUser111589

@Tor Humax neighborhood merging system is not taking score into account but where in tech you are.

Players at beginning of a tech will be paired with those in middle of same same age and occasionally with those at end of previous age. If you notice an exception, that's because neighborhood isn't changing during larger events such as forge bowl and current event

DeletedUser111866

Players at beginning of a tech will be paired with those in middle of same same age and occasionally with those at end of previous age.
Wrong, only the age is taken into account, not the progress within the age. Also there is "at least one hood that has two ages in it", without any control of how to NOT end up in the one that has people from a higher age. Yep this can be very frustrating if you hit such a hood, esp if ages are quite different in combat style (say where units of next era have stealth or other powerful abilities, and the previous era units can't just counter these abilities). Just wait 2 weeks I say, and try getting some score in between, so you might get moved away.

Agent327

Overlord
Wrong, only the age is taken into account, not the progress within the age.

Not smart to say someone is wrong when you really have no clue yourself.

The only criteria that will now be taken into account is era and the amount of Forge Points spent in the techtree.

https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/new-neighborhood-merging-system.32938/

@Tor Humax you may say it is not a whine, but it is.

It does not take a big effort to make sure you can beat anyone in your neighbourhood including those big players. So make the effort and stop whining.

Dang, when I started reading this, because of the new messages, I thought it was a new announcement and got excited. Then I looked at the date. Sigh. It isn't working. I haven't been in a balanced hood for..ever? But at least for the last many months to a year. Once I discovered PVP-I fight for medals. I do not fight to plunder, unless retaliation. I am not that great nor are my troops necessarily that great, but managed to be champ for several weeks, then the hood changed. I am still second- but the top guy is way over my head. Maybe and probably he is that much better at strategy- but realistically, when the AI plays your troops- it isn't all that great. And he plunders me several times a week- only for FP. Before the last change, there was drastic differences in top and bottom- heck even in middle and bottom. Maybe I was in one of those odd leftover hoods. But even now- there are still huge differences among the peeps in the hood going from high to low in points. I feel certain we are not all in same era but haven't tried to suss that out. Hope only another week till we shake it up again.

DeletedUser106696

You could also collect on time or build up a defence but that would just be silly.

Trouble is that "strategy" tends to fail once you emerge from a teenage bedroom and enter adult life with real responsibilities. In many peoples lives there's just more going on than this game. If this is not the case for you, great :D ... or you could just try to get out more from time to time :P

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
You could also collect on time or build up a defence but that would just be silly.
Sure, that's usually a '95% safe' strategy, but life always happens and it's not a completely fool-proof tactic.

Plunder-proofing your city is entirely possible at every age, and renders plundering into a non-issue. :)
Especially at the higher eras, where city defense is basically impossible, (AI is too stupid, and attacker's % boosts are too much to overcome), and the rewards for actively plundering others is highly lucrative!

Only other option is to use the City Shield through the friend's tavern...
Yeah it's bloody expensive, but if you can keep it up for a solid week, it can easily deter most/all from trying to attack you for easy pickings.

DeletedUser112846

City defense doesn't need to be perfect: it just has to make it too expensive to beat your troops. A good mix of troops does this: too many rogues do not (easy to defeat other units then 1 hit the rogues).
On a slightly related note: any chance the game designers can make some kind of arena where we could 'live' play fights, human vs human? Or give us the option to jump into our own city defense (when online obv) and just give us a timer per move (or the AI makes the move, or no move, at the end of the timer)?

Agent327

Overlord
City defense doesn't need to be perfect: it just has to make it too expensive to beat your troops.

That only works in the early ages. Once players have a high Alcatraz thet really do not care about losing troops.

On a slightly related note: any chance the game designers can make some kind of arena where we could 'live' play fights, human vs human? Or give us the option to jump into our own city defense (when online obv) and just give us a timer per move (or the AI makes the move, or no move, at the end of the timer)?

Amazing thoughts. You should put them as an idea on that part of the forum.

dimondus

Captain
Too difficult - won't happen. The closest mechanics that exist is XCOM EU and XCOM2 multiplayer but I've heard their servers are empty.

DeletedUser109832

Not smart to say someone is wrong when you really have no clue yourself.

https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/new-neighborhood-merging-system.32938/

@Tor Humax you may say it is not a whine, but it is.

It does not take a big effort to make sure you can beat anyone in your neighbourhood including those big players. So make the effort and stop whining.

It actually does take effort when some players buy literally hundreds of watchfires so they have over 500% defence, so that when they spend yet more diamonds on helping to max out attack GBs (which far outnumber and outweigh defence GBs) to level 60+ they can dump on you with no comeback. It’s STILL not a whine, it’s a fact, this is no longer a free to play strategy game, is a “pay to defend yourself” war game.

And no, the merging system does not only use tech tree Era, the information says that’s what it does, but like other things ... it’s broke and no one appears to be attempting to fix it, I’m again not whining, Inno are sometimes rubbish at fixing things they break, and like most rubbish developers once it hits a “broke for x long” time limit they ignore it completely and hope that people forget about it, and that is done simply out of embarrassment that they are clueless.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
It actually does take effort when some players buy literally hundreds of watchfires so they have over 500% defence, so that when they spend yet more diamonds on helping to max out attack GBs (which far outnumber and outweigh defence GBs) to level 60+ they can dump on you with no comeback. It’s STILL not a whine, it’s a fact, this is no longer a free to play strategy game, is a “pay to defend yourself” war game.

And no, the merging system does not only use tech tree Era, the information says that’s what it does, but like other things ... it’s broke and no one appears to be attempting to fix it, I’m again not whining, Inno are sometimes rubbish at fixing things they break, and like most rubbish developers once it hits a “broke for x long” time limit they ignore it completely and hope that people forget about it, and that is done simply out of embarrassment that they are clueless.
Option 1: use the City Shield from your tavern. Now it's impossible to even launch an attack.

Option 2: Make your city plunder-proof.

Option 3: collect your plunder-vulnerable buildings on time.

Agent327

Overlord

It is a whine. Now you are accusing them of buying watchfires and spending diamonds on helping to max out attack GB's. That's not a fact, but total bullpoop. You can not directly buy watchfires, but you can win them with ease. There is absolutely no need to buy them. They win them and so can you. Also, diamonds arer useless when it comes to GB's. You can use diamaonds to buy fp's, but that is much to expensive. No one will do that.