• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Negative count of available population

• Thread starter DeletedUser12633
  • Start date

DeletedUser12633

• World: en8
  • Browser and Version: Chrome Version 30.0.1599.69
  • Overview of the bug: Negative available population
  • Screenshots: See below
  • How often this occurs: First time.
  • Urgency: Depends if this is going to make me have to build more houses !!
  • Preventative Actions: None
  • Summary: I was upgrading my houses by building new houses and selling the other ones, I built 3 or 4 new houses and to make room for them I then deleted some of my old houses. Didn't pay attention to my population, I just placed the new houses where I had made room then left. Upon coming back I had an available population of - 279 (hehe)
  • I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported: Well apparently it's a new bug, so we're good :)
  • Have you tried fixing it by using methods listed in the thread pinned to the top of this forum:
I have closed, reopened browser, cleared cache and closed FoE then reopened, still here. The issue is that if I need to build more houses to get to 0 (Zero) first before having a positive count then I will need more space for more houses, which isn't really cool, is it :o We have a high density in my town :)

negative population.png

Thanks all

DeletedUser

not posted a bug before, do I just add my info here?

interesting bug, I seem to have managed to get a -ve available population.
when i was upgrading my housing earlier i did notice available population going down by 464 (old houses are only 205) and then back up by 259 (gambrel house pop) even though they are only just foundations at the mo. the total effect seemed about right with a drop of 205 from loosing the old houses.
I stopped when total available pop dropped below 205 as in the past it would pop up not enough available population.
next time i logged in i noticed i have -58 population. I logged out and back in, still the same. tried another browser too, same thing.
world en8
browser firefox 24.0 and IE10.0.9200.16686
other issues - non confirmed, think I lost some FP the other day, paid to research but count didn't change. unable to confirm this 100% but pretty certain.

Update: - my new housing finished and the population added up normally, now available what I expected to have before is started the upgrade.
the GB thing you mention is not relevant in my case, there were no changes made other than housing upgrades.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

piecesofme, in the thread where you posted this situation before, it was suggested you may have disconnected a great building that gives population - could that apply here?
It is also possible that due to a communication error or delay, the population was displayed wrongly, allowing you to remove housing or build something that needed population. Once the communication was corrected, the count would then go negative.

I know this has happened before, and yes, if it doesn't update to a positive count, you will have to build extra houses... or tear down some buildings that use population.

@G-Force316 - yes, please: if you have anything to add that helps us find the problem, or if you encounter the same thing, just post here and leave as much relevant information as you can :)

DeletedUser12633

Hi Pendragon, I do not have any Population GBs (don't have Babel, or any other, for example) and anyway I would have seen if anything was disconnected.

I was still on a negative population after logging back in multiple times but as I was building more houses in the meantime I have got back to a positive count (having added more people)

What I am going to do now is make a count of each of my houses (= population count in the town)
Then make a count of each of the buildings using population i.e military production etc. (= active population)
And then see how many people should there be remaining as "available" or unemployed population to see if this is matching.

In all honesty, if the houses don't give you the amount of people they are supposed to give, then what's the point in trying to sustain a city, given the fact that we constantly need more spaces. If I need to build more houses than the others to get to the same result, that would be utterly unfair if no one is trying to look into it.

I will perform the said count, because I want to re-confirm whether the bug is still on with the new houses. And I will keep you updated :)

Ok This is a shame I don't know how to draw a table here.

Please see the update below : The count seems to be back to normal if my calculations are correct which is a good news. It doesn't solve the issue but at least the issue is being resolved by itself after a while (perhaps when adding/upgrading more houses?) I think the main issue for the Devs here would be to properly block the deletion of houses is this leads to a negative count.

I made the calculations as follow :

House Type Population per house Number of houses Total population given
Victorian House 474 x1 = 474
Plantation House 311 x1 = 311
Gambrel Roof House 259 x27 = 6993
Workers House 285 x5 =1425
Boarding House 380 x11 =4180
The one population at the start* 1
Total population in town : 13384

* I have noticed we start with 1 population (this is probably yourself, haha)

Town population calculated = 13384
Town population as shown on my City Counter = 13386
Variation +2 (not too fussed for 2 village idiots)

Building Type Population needed Number of buildings Total population needed
Chemical Plant 224 x4 =896
Clock Maker 68 x2 =136
Silk Manufactory 580 x1 =580
Coffee Roaster 720 x1 =720
Wiremill 720 x1 =720
Saltworks 460 x1 =460
Fertilizer Plant 1020 x1 =1020
Brass Foundry 580 x1 =580
Herb Merchant 460 x1 =460
Ranger Encampment 829 x3 =2487
Grenadier Barracks 1013 x1 =1013
Dragoon Stables 921 x1 =921
Musketeer Range 737 x1 =737
Rifleman Range 982 x1 =982
Total Population needed = 11712

Total Population in City as per city Counter = 13386
Total Population in employment = 11712
Available Population as it should be = 1674
Available Population as shown = 1674
Variation 0

So we're all happy bunnies then !

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hello piecesofme, that was a lot of work! Thank you for it :)

Yes, as far as I know the houses do count correctly in themselves (and buildings needing population as well). The negative count is usually caused when there is a delay/error in the communication between the server and your computer (as I mentioned before) - and it looks like you ran into that.

Still, it shouldn't happen though.

I'll set this to confirmed.

P.S. - I've merged your two consecutive posts as it keeps the forum tidier :)