• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

My two year anniversary

Surge

Brigadier-General
So I found out, recently, that I am playing this game and following this forum for two years about five days ago. Yay, I guess. I am not sure if there's a non-mod still here that joined earlier than me, but I am not trying to boast my time here (or, subsequently, how little of a life I have *cough*).

I've joined a few days before FoE went open beta. Over these two years, so many things came and went. I remember when I was pretty happy when I got 1,000,000 points, and then an update dropped everyone by an order of millions of points overnight. I went down to 28,000. That kind of sucked. And now A-world has a bunch of 4-million pointers and the top guy has 7.5 million. I remember when having a guild worth 10,000,000 points was a great achievement, and I was glad to be a part of that. The Alchemists, of which I was one of the leaders/founders, were the first to achieve this in the game, sticking at #1 for a week or two. I don't remember that well because that was over a year ago. When I joined, there was no Easter Event!

I'm not sure if anyone remembers all the clicking we had to go through just to collect our hourly gains. It was quite painful clicking on seventy buildings, individually, every hour of the day until you decided to hit the sack. When Great Buildings were still not even discussed or in the game, we didn't wonder where the game went. We still had fun and we didn't care if something was missing for a little bit. Now we're all rushing to get our share of the greatness. When the day Great Buildings were to be patched in to the game came, Most of us were excited, and quite a lot of us decided to just buy all the blueprints. No one had any idea just how LONG it would take to get one of those suckers. One thing I certainly remember from Great Buildings was building and fully maximizing my Deal Castle. Almost 200 medals into my treasury every day, and I finally bought that 1,000 medal expansion I never had the medals for. I never fought extensively, so I was severely lacking in medals. And then the daily medal gains were cut to below 100.

What about that time when having a 100% boost to defense was a huge deal? I thought it was. It only took under half a year to uncover that a 150% to both attack and defense to attacking armies was both possible and horribly overpowered.

I remember back in close to the end of 2012 I was discussing the possibilities of what GvG would look like with my guild mates. I planned accordingly as well. It's too bad it took an entire year out of the promised "soon" for GvG to come out, and it isn't even gold yet. Heck, the game itself isn't gold yet, and it's been two years since the time it went open beta!

And, you know, the tiny little changes that weren't even on the game for over a week. I don't think anyone remembers that the Cottage was renamed to Domicile and was promptly switched back to the original. You can still see this change in my guide (which is now linked as my journal, click under my avatar for it), under the charts landfill. That same update also switched the names of Marble and Alabaster. I'm not sure if any of the guide writers changed the names though, even though no one knew it would be a brief change.

But let's not forget the forum itself. The forum, at one point, was simply booming with activity, roughly at late 2012 to early 2013. There was so much to read, and not so much time to do so. Not many can recall that dreadful time when we were swarming with ad-bots. The forum mods had to deal with at least one every single day. Not a day went by without an ad-bot coming in and advertise whatever junk they want to publicize, while getting them promptly banned. I remember that, at one point, there was a lot of commotion regarding a "controversial" topic. I only came back from work and I saw so many responses and all that nonsense, but there was no thread to be found. The mods took care of it, it turned out. Apparently, things happen very quickly when the time calls.

I am glad that, for almost the whole part, we all, as people and simultaneously as forum-goers, understand each other, and we accept that we have differences. Sure, an occasional fight or two, at which one time I personally had as a mod, but aside from that, everything is going great and it has been for the two years I spent on this game and forum.

But, probably most of all, I am glad that I once was a part of the old modding team. I don't exactly remember when I was given the Altruist title, but it was quite satisfying. It wasn't much of a rank, though, but I was deemed as sort of an "official knowledge bank," if you would like to call it that way. It then was promoted to Forum Moderator on September of 2012, and considering that I had spent an already-respectable amount of time on the forum, I was quite happy to be given this responsibility. That's when I had the chance to meet everyone, and all of them were great people. At the height of my modding time, which extended to a promotion to In-Game moderator, there were people who were mods but are either not in the game anymore or just aren't mods anymore. I may have forgotten a name or two, but I remember the team very well. Pendragon, Lodroth, Herluth, Bartimaeus (who still is here, albeit an altruist), Tsarina, mink, Taeriyn, and, of course, the higher-ups, who were Blacksmith (who now renamed himself to Remorce, although I think Blacksmith suited him, and certainly looked like he could be a blacksmith himself), Archangel Snail, and the elusive Checkered Jester. I have had the chance of speaking with The Countess, but that was all under a week before I left. She had joined the team as a replacement for Checkered Jester, but that is all I know unfortunately. This was a while ago, so I don't remember everyone perfectly. I am glad that I was able to meet these people, and I am glad I was a part of a great team helping a large game and a great forum in check.

I've now probably spent too much of my time typing this, and have taken a lot of your time by making you read this. Heck, I am quite sure I missed a few things that were on the game or the forum itself. There isn't any lesson for you, dear reader, to extract from this Charles D.ickens novel-sized post (and the forums still censors the bit of words instead of the word itself, and I am not breaking any rules here), but it is simply what my thoughts are on my second complete year of being a part of this community. It was a great round trip, and even though I was missing for a few months last year and missed quite a bit, I enjoyed every bit of it. (Well, most of it if you want to include those filthy ad-bots and the occasional diamond rant that never managed to get anywhere successfully.)

Side note: I didn't really know where this goes EXACTLY, but since it does deal mostly about the history of the game itself and the forums, I thought that this sub-forum was the way to go.

Last edited:

DeletedUser4089

Hehe, good read.

Congrats on passing the 2 year mark. Mine comes up on 25th July.

I certainly remember clicking every building to collect, that was a real pain.
And oh the adbots, I think 1 a day is a little bit of an understatement :D
Marble and Alabaster have been mixed up so many times in so many places lol. I'm not sure if the mod tools were fixed for that before you joined the team or not.
That was a great team to be a part of, for sure. Many good times were had and memories made.

It's good to still have you around. Ready for another 2 years?

(And most likely Soapbox is the place for this thread)

DeletedUser

Happy anniversary!
My 2nd should be around the corner. So much time has passed, so many changes this game had. So many lessons to learn. So many infraction points to get on this forum. Oh memories.... lol
Will there be a 3rd annversary for either of us? Maybe they invent a way to end a "world" and restart the server fresh.
Im positive that would increase the number of players and the competition knowing that a "world" lasts for a year or so and you have to give your best and not just get bored and abandon after a few months.
Im also positive that I would retire for good when that moment comes.

DeletedUser5180

my 2nd anniversary not till august so im a noob compared to you surge lol a great read there, i remember clicking individual houses every hour and collecting supplies every 5 or 15 mins long before the intro of GB's then gaining a lighthouse meant every hour was the way to go.

i've enjoyed your posts here, your advice has been great also, you have spent a lot of time helping others enjoy this game as much as you obviously do and your guides i'm sure have been so valuable to many newcomers to FoE

from one player to another....THANK YOU for what you have given back to the game we all love and enjoy

akkers

DeletedUser7719

My second year is coming near the end of July as well. Last year I disbanded the #1 guild on EN6 (and claimed I was quitting) just about on my one year anniversary, so what sort of chaos will I bring this year? ;)

Loved the story Surge. You forgot a forum mod: King Dael. I remember having him in my hood and I was the only one who knew how to get through his defense without loosing a unit :p