• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Moving Town Hall

Iwateguy

Major-General
I have seen comments suggesting road placement is important and that we want to have a few as possible.

Is it worthwhile to move my town hall to a more central location so I can potentially have roads going in all 4 directions?

DeletedUser107476

No it is better to move it to a corner especially early game for the most efficient road system.

DeletedUser111866

Early, no. Later, yes, because you might find out that shuffling GBs to a corner is better than shuffling there a town hall.

DeletedUser107476

Early, no. Later, yes, because you might find out that shuffling GBs to a corner is better than shuffling there a town hall.
Get them used to having it in corner early game and they tend to keep it there :rolleyes:

DeletedUser6065

Corner.
If central, you can't see/access easily behind it for building/road construction or selling/disconnect/moving.
. . . mk

DeletedUser110179

According to pawelp and his LoW advanced Guide - City Layout .

The general guidelines for good city layout are:
  • Shorter NOT longer ends of buildings are connected to roads
  • Many large buildings are connected by 1 piece of roads or incomplete roads
  • 2x2 roads are placed only next to buildings that need them
  • No decorations are present
  • There are no loops of roads
  • Buildings are surrounded by least number of roads
  • HQ is placed in center of the map not corner or side
  • Only newest age (or premium) buildings are used
  • No roads are built on the edge of the map
  • Expansions are arranged in square shape not polygon with many turns

Personally, I think this is more of a factor later in the game when your city footprint is quite huge.
Putting the HQ in the middle of a small city results in awkward spacing for large buildings like Terrace Farms.

DeletedUser110195

Considering the town hall is the size of moderately large GBs it works perfectly in a corner, since you only need 1 tile of road touching it...if every other tile of road is connected then you're good to go. I used to think having it dead center was the way to go, but you wind up needing more road to make it work than putting it as out of the way as possible, as in the top left corner of the space you start with.

DeletedUser111866

Well, I have discovered that putting it a lil off corner just enough to put there ToR, CDM and a 4x3 to 4x7 building with a single piece of road in the middle works great. I expect that making more such corners could allow using less roads for the rest of the area, provided you can leave no gaps between such constructs.

DeletedUser107476

I tend to put mine in corner for two-lane roads. I tend to only have one piece of two-lane touching the town hall and then running single lanes off the two lane.

oncDqwx5Rp_CJ5zA2Od6tg.png

Agent327

Overlord
I think this will always be open for discussion. I also have mine in the corner with only one piece of 2-way road attached to it.

That guide was made sopme time ago at a time we did not have building sets. That also makes a big difference.

DeletedUser110179

I tend to put mine in corner for two-lane roads. I tend to only have one piece of two-lane touching the town hall and then running single lanes off the two lane.

oncDqwx5Rp_CJ5zA2Od6tg.png
Aside from the TH in the middle or side question ... GBs need only one piece of road but your Alcatraz is fully roaded on 2 sides ... and roads on the edge of the map are only half-utilized.
You could well have 2 or 3 extra land extensions ... purely due to wasted space .

The guild must love your row of Hall of Fame .

MoreTopia-EN7-25Nov.jpg
I try to minimize road usage in my city ... although I do have the Town Hall in the top corner .

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

I think Mark would have to redesign his city to make practical use of that space...in the interim, it does look better aesthetically. I'm sure his people enjoy not needing to walk an extra 10 miles to get to his town hall. ;)

vikingraider

Emperor
I thought roads on the edge of were a waste when I first saw it. But I've got my TH in the top corner as well. When I recently re-designed my city on the planner and then for real the top corner seems to make more sense

DeletedUser107476

Aside from the TH in the middle or side question ... GBs need only one piece of road but your Alcatraz is fully roaded on 2 sides ... and roads on the edge of the map are only half-utilized.
You could well have 2 or 3 extra land extensions ... purely due to wasted space .

The guild must love your row of Hall of Fame .

View attachment 13894
I try to minimize road usage in my city ... although I do have the Town Hall in the top corner .
That's only some of Hall of Fames lol. Got 16 in total and behind most of GB's including St.Mark's are Ritual Flames as I get more I delete more road to add them.

DeletedUser110195

Roads on the edge of the map are a waste....and by that I mean an edge you can't expand any further. Oh...I see Mark has some 2 lane road running down an unexpandable edge....you should swap that with the buildings it runs past, you'll save yourself a fair bit of space.

dimondus

Captain
According to pawelp and his LoW advanced Guide - City Layout .

The general guidelines for good city layout are:
  • Shorter NOT longer ends of buildings are connected to roads
  • Many large buildings are connected by 1 piece of roads or incomplete roads
  • No decorations are present
  • Buildings are surrounded by least number of roads
  • Only newest age (or premium) buildings are used

These few points should be called "ideal" city layout. I would like to see a city without 1x1 gaps in layout and "newest age premium buildings" duh, everyone want those!

Last edited: