• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

More avatars representing people of colour

Would you like to have more avatars of colour in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser117610

In a game with fewer than 10 black avatars, even less Asian, and fewer again Latino - versus well over 250 white options - a simple suggestion that greater diversity might be a good thing has met with 2 pages of ignorance, stupidity and a complete lack of consideration, compassion or common decency. 7 votes against vs 7 in favour is a disgrace. It costs nothing to support this idea, you're not paying the bills, and the development of additional artwork is not going to be at the expense of any features you might have wished in the game. This isn't a priority list, it is a simple and polite request for some consideration. No one even asked for equal representation, this isn't a political statement, they just asked for more colour options to be considered. The level of sheer stupidity and racism in the responses and votes here hard to fathom. This place has always been fairly toxic but this is a whole new level of dumb. Stormtroopers? Negative uses? Seriously wtf.

Emberguard

Legend
You say you want Inno to put effort into having a wider range of ethnic avatars. Ok, then lets look to see what they've released more recently (event wise, I'm not looking at tech tree) to see what the current trend of avatars are
Archaeology Event 2020

Spring Event 2020
Portrait%202.png

St. Patricks Day 2020

latest
latest

Forge Bowl 2020
Portraits.png

Winter Event 2019
PortraitsWinterSmallerNew2.png

Halloween Event 2019

Fall Event 2019
FallPortaits.png

Summer Event 2020

Portraits%20New3.png
In the past year I count 22 new event avatars (assuming I haven't missed any). A bit over half look European white to me with the rest being Irish, Black or Asian. Better then nothing but still favouring white. Personally I'm not bothered by whatever race (or gender) is in any particular game or avatar, I just want a well drawn image. But it matters to you and I see no reason why we couldn't have a wider range of ethnicity in future avatars as long as it's respectful to the source material and makes sense for the game context. If they're using real people to model the avatars off of I wouldn't expect them to change their ethnicity for the avatar without the person being ok with it

You've got my vote in favour of it.

Agent327

Overlord
Your "yes" vote would simply make this be considered as a potential update in the future. It would not lead to any loss or harm to anyone. On the other hand, a "no" vote potentially sends the incorrect message that certain groups of people don't deserve to be heard or have their suggestions considered, and I don't think any of us want to send that message.

Actually I do.

Comments like this only make me more determined to stick to my "No" vote. Emotional blackmail does not do it for me. While I have nothing against the idea, I am getting sick and tired of people using every available means to make a political statement. This game has nothing to do with politics and I want it to stay that way.

Agent327

Overlord
In a game with fewer than 10 black avatars, even less Asian, and fewer again Latino - versus well over 250 white options - a simple suggestion that greater diversity might be a good thing has met with 2 pages of ignorance, stupidity and a complete lack of consideration, compassion or common decency.

Does this one count?

Of6.jpg

You should learn how to count. Misrepresenting the facts to get your way does not work. Not wanting the game to be influenced by politics is ignorance, stupidity and a complete lack of consideration, compassion or common decency??

OK, I'll play it your way. You adopted the nick Lord Grok. Isn't it the British Lords that were heavenly connected to slavery?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...n-down-their-heirs-sit-untouched-in-the-lords

Shouldn't you change your nick? Wouldn't keeping it be ignorance, stupidity and a complete lack of consideration, compassion or common decency?

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
So I guess you're Mandarin or something?
Yes I am... Mandarin...
I learned the phrase Xue Hua Piao Piao (the snows fall, the wind blows) from domestic sites.
The hot topic says "our pop song mysteriously trending in the west! Bravo to the singer!"
Then I browsed overseas webpage and they are commenting:
"This is what Einstein listened to while painting Monalisa...
"This song makes me want to eat the chopsticks instead of the rice...
"If this song isn't played in my funeral, then I'm not coming..."

DeletedUser

In a game with fewer than 10 black avatars, even less Asian, and fewer again Latino - versus well over 250 white options - a simple suggestion that greater diversity might be a good thing has met with 2 pages of ignorance, stupidity and a complete lack of consideration, compassion or common decency. 7 votes against vs 7 in favour is a disgrace. It costs nothing to support this idea, you're not paying the bills, and the development of additional artwork is not going to be at the expense of any features you might have wished in the game. This isn't a priority list, it is a simple and polite request for some consideration. No one even asked for equal representation, this isn't a political statement, they just asked for more colour options to be considered. The level of sheer stupidity and racism in the responses and votes here hard to fathom. This place has always been fairly toxic but this is a whole new level of dumb. Stormtroopers? Negative uses? Seriously wtf.
Stormtroopers because everyone can appreciate Star Wars. Negative uses are obviously those where the choice of a proactive avatar could lead to denial of friendship, Guild membership and Aid. I believe this idea to be a hot topic bandwagon intended to divide, segregate and promote prejudice.
There already exist, ethnic Guilds and I for one do not like that but, am happy that their membership gain support from their segregated little groups.

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
I did not carefully read the post at first and my previous comment is out of ignorance and sheer stupidity. Now I have carefully read it, my thoughts are: I) this issue is beyond my comprehension capacity and therefore my best move should be to stay out of it. There is an ancient saying in our culture (ahem, Mandarin as afore-mentioned) that says "The thickness of the earth and the height of the sky (or heaven) is beyond our imagination. If you challenge it you are going to regret it." II) If I am to get involved in the matter, my vote has to be "split" YES & NO. The reason for the YES is that if you take the time and energy to carefully consider what the proposal says, to "put on their shoes" and follow the logic and reasoning in their argument, they would be correct. But the problem with this option is people do not have the time and energy to do so, especially when you remember there are many people in the world below the poverty line, "many third world kids still starving" -- at least that is what they say in TV dramas, used by people to end whatever argument they are losing, because, it means, who cares about your nuisance problem when people are facing more serious problems? What you raise is indeed "A" problem and your reasoning is indeed correct, but, is it "THE" problem? Is it the most important problem? ---- Now back to the reason for the NO. And the reason is "there is no reason". As some scientific research (I don't have the energy to cite the source right now) suggests, when you want to persuade people to do something (to buy something), the reasoning does not really matter. Their final decision will be made based on "guts," "gut feelings", unless, of course, you coerce (intimidate) them and deprive them of a free choice. Also, as told in some movies, people's choices are "already made" and people come to this world not to make a choice but to "understand the choice" and they can only understand it, after they carry out that choice, good or bad, right or wrong. III) I also think of what the "enlightment" "consciousness" Gurus say. They say that all the problems of the world are caused by "identification", identification with a religious group, with a country, with a race, etc. Instead, one should identify with "all that is" or, tentatively, "the universe". Admittedly, the real world is full of problems; otherwise why are there protests and movements... well then, should the best effort be made, to integrate the game world with the real world, to make this just a part of that, to make them the same, or, to segregate/isolate the two? with the same type of separation as between the player and the character -- "I am the character" or "I am just playing a character"? "I want the character (represented by the portrait) to be exactly like me" or "I want the character to be absolutely and completely what I AM NOT"? --- The End ---

Epic Builder x1000

Second Lieutenant
I did not carefully read the post at first and my previous comment is out of ignorance and sheer stupidity. Now I have carefully read it, my thoughts are: I) this issue is beyond my comprehension capacity and therefore my best move should be to stay out of it. There is an ancient saying in our culture (ahem, Mandarin as afore-mentioned) that says "The thickness of the earth and the height of the sky (or heaven) is beyond our imagination. If you challenge it you are going to regret it." II) If I am to get involved in the matter, my vote has to be "split" YES & NO. The reason for the YES is that if you take the time and energy to carefully consider what the proposal says, to "put on their shoes" and follow the logic and reasoning in their argument, they would be correct. But the problem with this option is people do not have the time and energy to do so, especially when you remember there are many people in the world below the poverty line, "many third world kids still starving" -- at least that is what they say in TV dramas, used by people to end whatever argument they are losing, because, it means, who cares about your nuisance problem when people are facing more serious problems? What you raise is indeed "A" problem and your reasoning is indeed correct, but, is it "THE" problem? Is it the most important problem? ---- Now back to the reason for the NO. And the reason is "there is no reason". As some scientific research (I don't have the energy to cite the source right now) suggests, when you want to persuade people to do something (to buy something), the reasoning does not really matter. Their final decision will be made based on "guts," "gut feelings", unless, of course, you coerce (intimidate) them and deprive them of a free choice. Also, as told in some movies, people's choices are "already made" and people come to this world not to make a choice but to "understand the choice" and they can only understand it, after they carry out that choice, good or bad, right or wrong. III) I also think of what the "enlightment" "consciousness" Gurus say. They say that all the problems of the world are caused by "identification", identification with a religious group, with a country, with a race, etc. Instead, one should identify with "all that is" or, tentatively, "the universe". Admittedly, the real world is full of problems; otherwise why are there protests and movements... well then, should the best effort be made, to integrate the game world with the real world, to make this just a part of that, to make them the same, or, to segregate/isolate the two? with the same type of separation as between the player and the character -- "I am the character" or "I am just playing a character"? "I want the character (represented by the portrait) to be exactly like me" or "I want the character to be absolutely and completely what I AM NOT"? --- The End ---
Wow. That sounds like something my Grade 12 Philosophy teacher and my Philosophy Professor would say.

A lot of the responses are about this being a political thing, and politics should stay out of the game. I don't think this is political, though. I would just like for non-white people to have as many choices to pick an avatar as white people already have.

Screenshot from 2020-06-16 19-12-38.png

As you can see, there is not only a huge imbalance in the totals for each race (undetermined are the portraits of masked/fictional/snowman characters), but if you take away the avatars that were only available in past events and can't be chosen unless you have been playing from the beginning and have participated in every event, the number of choices for a non-white avatar become even smaller.

(There was one more black avatar in the timeline portraits listed on the fandom FoE wiki, but that one has been replaced by a white avatar ingame).

Bewildered Zeratul has a very good point that not everybody wants to choose a character portrait that looks like themselves. Still, it is kind of frustrating when an enormous percentage of the characters you can look like are white. That doesn't offer much choice to roleplay a different race if you want to do so, either!

All I'm asking is that Inno consider adding some more diversity to the basic lineup of character portraits, and not just event portraits that are not available to newer players. I'm not accusing them of being racist, it's just something that can be easily fixed and doesn't NEED to be like this. I'm not asking them to remove white avatars and replace them with people of colour. Just add a LITTLE bit more variety, that's all.

This proposal doesn't hurt the gameplay of existing players in any way, so I don't know why people are getting so offended by it.

DeletedUser

Yet you have already stated your belief that the relatively high number of white avatars is political. As is your choice of the term "White", sauce for Goose and Gander alike please.
Your answers to my responses were not rational even though all I did was to point out possible negative results. Non of the avatars look like me nor do they represent any racial type I wish to be associated with, either in real life or in the Game.
You want more avatars-fine, have as many as you can demand. You want avatars of sky-blue pink with a Finny-Haddy border-great, you go for it...But don't play the Race Card or any other political games here nor in any part of the Game.
I'm not anti-diversity, I'm anti-politicisation of Game and Forum, nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.