• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Content Mobile Video Ads A/B Test II Feedback

DragonsEgg1

Private
Me too!!
Dear Inno

I can understand the need to do what you're doing, I am a business owner and entrepreneur myself. To be able to increase sales is the only way to keep your shareholders happy. There are several ways to do this other than having your already loyal spending customers forced to spend more on a monthly subscription. There can be ways for you to ask to buy packages to decrease attrition in GbG, special buildings that can help with buildings (whatever you think to build) with the purchase of diamonds (can only be upgraded with diamonds ONLY). There are ultimately other ways of obtaining an increase in sales other than to force the purchase of a monthly subscription. Let me be CRYSTAL CLEAR here, I am happy to publish how much I have spent for the whole FOE Community to see. I will post screens of my credit card receipts to show in the past 3 years I have spent more than £20,000 with your game. I will delete this city in a heart beat if you go forward with forced ads. Doing what you're doing to non spending players is understandable not for your already spending customers. I will keep this from getting emotional. You've had my response and await your response.
I know Inno will crave the projected revenues from ads, but in doing so will drive hundreds or thousands of players to other games. I have advised them of this. My spending on this game is also in the $000's and I'm simply unprepared to pay $80ish more per month to be ad free. Remember, the game delves us into a make-believe world and we escape reality when we play. But no longer, loud music comes on (I play silently) and advertises some castrol product. That destroys the game world in my mind. Abandon these plans inno if you value my custom - and the revenue my 4 cities have provided. This will be the beginning of your end I suspect

DragonsEgg1

Private
Thank you Inno but you are deluded to think advertising is welcomed by anyone. Advertising is a cancer on anything it touches, yet you present it as something good. Furthermore, you know this, and I know it, because you offer freedom from this this nastiness if I spend $80 or so per month for premium play. Sorry, but I spend enough with you, without this soul destroying "feature". You're idiots - you have something good and untainted, and despoil it with ads. Ask yourselves, "How much do I welcome ads, or my friends? Do we use a PVR to rip ads out of TV programs?". You take a person's existence in the game and rip them out to sell them some Castrol product, destroying my minds harmony. Well sorry, you can have my income each month =OR= advertising. I know you'll ofc choose the electronic cancer of ads. So, after these years and anticipated ones, it is time to say goodbye. If after a few days they're still intruding on me, it will be time to migrate to another game. And there are no shortage of one's without ads.

Vesiger

Monarch
Nobody is actually being forced to watch ads (or at least not in any part of my customary gameplay, which doesn't involve spending any money) - what is happening is that there are a lot of oil drums stuck around the city and we have to use extra button presses to skip past the mandatory 'watch an ad' default option on the tavern. It's ugly and a marginal extra nuisance, but it's not an inherent game killer...

PiQuadrat

Private
Hey everyone, we are moving forward with the next phase of Video Ads. For more information, please read this post and then share your feedback below!
First of all, I fully understand InnoGames needs to make money. Until now, buying stuff in-game provided only very limited benefits, which kept the game very fair to those not paying to win.
However, for me as a player it is not only about money. I don't buy stuff in-game because it feels like cheating to me, the in-game achievements are not my own anymore, instead I paid for a legs-up. On the other hand not paying anything makes me feel a bit like cheating out-game, since, as an IT-professional myself, I'm fully aware that Innogame has infrastructure-costs, development-costs, etc. and by not paying I'm basically leaching off of them.
The video-ads, on the other hand, are very intrusive and feel like littering to me. One wrong click and my phone starts blaring out obnoxious advertisement noise, which is annoying at best, and a real embarrassment at worst (e.g. at work in on toilet :-))

How about simply offering a subscription option (maybe in addition to the other options)? I don't buy anything in-game (since that would feel like cheating in-game to me), but instead I pay a subscription-fee to get rid of ads for a specified period of time? To me, that would be fair (as long as the pricepoint is fair). My achievements are still my own, I don't pay to win in-game, but I do pay out-game to not be annoyed. And InnoGames can still adjust the price-point once in a while (taking effect on renewal of the subscription).

Just a single one off fee less than £5 to get rid of all ads FOREVER for those who haven't already paid that, end of story.
Perhaps introduce different price options for special avatars (Like Fortnite) and for your city like different effects for your town hall that don't give any boost but look good and can be seen by anyone.
I believe that absolutely nobody wants to actually have to watch ads because they're always extremely repetitive and you still get ads for a game you've actually downloaded which is hilarious.
Just remove them and everyone will be happier. You can make money in ways that doesn't annoy 99.9% of your players and without turning it into a pay to win game more than it is already.

PiQuadrat

Private
Just a single one off fee less than £5 to get rid of all ads FOREVER
FOREVER is a long time :-) I don´t know how much they get for each advertisement watched. What they would get if a player clicks half of all ads might be an OK reference. I think that would be more than £5 in a life time, probably also more than £5 a year. A Youtube Video-add costs 1-3 ct, the game offers around 10 ads per day? 30ct? Half of that is 15ct, times 30 is $4.50 a month, or a bit less than £4. Like any other person, I´d prefer for free, and if I notice I play less regular I`d probably just quit entirely, but I guess around that amount would be a fair ad-free subscription.

Personally, I do sometimes click those to aid all friends once a day. If there was an option to visit all free friends taverns, that would be interesting as well.

All other ads I click only accidentally and try to cancel immediately. I don´t care for those 5 FP or supply or gold packages at all, I don`t need those events without ads, would be perfectly happy if I could opt out entirely and they wouldn´t show on my village anymore.

suethegreat

Captain
Will ads eventually arrive on laptops? Still reeling from quotes of $'000's spent on this. Given the player base must have rocketed at the time of covid those players like me are probably in the situation of running out of space and reluctant to make the game harder by aging, have developed a diamond farm and are now reassessing their game/life balance. Now if watching/opening ads produced an allowance towards an extra build square then bring them on :)

I managed to get my wife playing FoE with me, now she is playing more on the games your ads introduce to her. Does this do you any favours? I doubt it....

Better to design more events and try to get people spend diamonds there rather than push players to play other games.

Nobody is actually being forced to watch ads (or at least not in any part of my customary gameplay, which doesn't involve spending any money) - what is happening is that there are a lot of oil drums stuck around the city and we have to use extra button presses to skip past the mandatory 'watch an ad' default option on the tavern. It's ugly and a marginal extra nuisance, but it's not an inherent game killer...
I was given the oil drums and chests free initially. I was not told that they were going to have ads slapped on them. There was a lot of speculation early on why some players received the oil drums and the chests. When these chests first appeared, they were welcome additions to the game as they gave the players additional chances to gain coins and supplies and no one said they were testing this for advertising, in fact nothing was said! Little did we all know that this was the precursor to Inno slapping ads on these and almost every single part of the game.

I now have ads on my Tavern boosts, on the Minstrel, on my Castle, on construction in my city AND in my settlements, incidents, in the Quests and of course the barrels and chests. I was also given an automatic Motivate/Polish option on my Friends, Guild and Neighbours with no ads. Nothing was said about slapping ads on these. Now they too have ads in them. So I’ve gone back to Motivating/Polishing the original way which I don’t mind. What I find underhand is that Inno gave all these items free, then they slap ads on them later.

So now almost every part of FORGE OF ADS is covered in advertising. The worst part is that the ads don’t occur once, the same ad is repeated over and over again.

I have found that it takes over 30 mins to click and play all the ads so that I could get my normal rewards in the game and you have to do this over and over again as the ads keep reappearing, This game now has more advertising in it than the actual game!!!.

I was also subjected to one ad that was sexually inappropriate and explicit. This ad was reported to Inno Support and after much discussion and sending of screenshots, it was removed.

I think now that Forge of Empires has turned into FORGE OF ADS it has taken the fun out of the game and I now do not enjoy it anymore, I am currently looking for another game to play (play being the operative word as isn’t this what we all want?) Surely no one downloaded FOE to watch ads, that was one of the main attractions for me in the first place. I know Inno say you don’t HAVE to watch the ads but if you don’t, you don’t get the rewards that you were receiving prior to the ads.

I will happily continue to play FOE if Inno remove these ads, perhaps offer a subscription or some other way for Inno to gain revenue than ads. Ads are an extremely UNPOPULAR choice. Surely Inno can come up with something other than ads!

Last edited:
If things get as bad as the above poster describes I will surely rethink whether or not I can be bothered with this game.
What do you mean? Don't you get ads? What that poster has described is what everyone with ads is going through and his new name for the game is correct FORGE OF ADS is not a game you play anymore. I mean could they not think of more places to put the ads, surely they could put ads after every fight in GBG and an ad before you can read any message thread and pm and perhaps an ad to list any trade and take any trade. Also perhaps a ad when you first open the game and one to watch before you can log off and perhaps every time you add fps to a GB and one to receive your rewards, I'm sure there's more they could think of.

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
What do you mean? Don't you get ads? What that poster has described is what everyone with ads is going through and his new name for the game is correct FORGE OF ADS is not a game you play anymore. I mean could they not think of more places to put the ads, surely they could put ads after every fight in GBG and an ad before you can read any message thread and pm and perhaps an ad to list any trade and take any trade. Also perhaps a ad when you first open the game and one to watch before you can log off and perhaps every time you add fps to a GB and one to receive your rewards, I'm sure there's more they could think of.
Actually, I LOVE that idea to have adds before listing any and every trade. What a unique way to stop many of those players who think they are able to take "control" of the AD, or of a certain good. I would really like to see that idea of yours be implemented, it could help make using the Market much more tolerable.

PiQuadrat

Private
I was given the oil drums and chests free initially. [...]

[...]

I have found that it takes over 30 mins to click and play all the ads so that I could get my normal rewards [...]
You consider them normal rewards. I don't. I can't be bothered to watch all the ads for those rewards, and the game is still easy enough to progress in. The only ads I tend to watch is those for bulk-helping others (all friends or so), which actually saves me time in balance: I trigger the ad, go get myself a coffee, and when I'm back the ad is done already.

My main issue is that the oil-drums are easily clicked accidentally, waking up my spouse when I'm playing a bit late in the evening or leading to embarrassment during meetings or in the toilet stall ;-)

Thanks @Knight of ICE, I was hoping for this not to be the case.

Can't believe Inno is forcing loyal spending customers to subscribe. Well, I will wait for a bit then will have no choice but to delete the game.
Dear Inno Games

Thank you very much for not placing any Ads or chances of having to watch them for me on either brower or iOS. I am an avid player of FOE and will spend money every time there is an event and certainly times when i'm partaking in GbG. For those that are paying players, I don't know if there is a threshold to reach to get all thee chests and quest without having to watch any ads. I spend quite a lot because this game is an out from my day to day work life. As long as I don't get any distractions while I log in and play, I'm happy to keep spending money on this game.

On a totally separate ask, please keep releasing new events, thats when I like to spend a bit more to ensure my city has a bunch of the new event buildings. City is looking really good thanks to your new event, awesome work, keep it up
IMG_0651.jpg

The threshold must be £300 + by my guess but they just took the threshold away because the only way to get rid of the ads now is to spend nearly £30 A MONTH which is ridiculous and disgusting especially for those who had already reached the stupidly high threshold, remember other games charge a few ££ not £30 a month!

Chanla

Private
I have been playing this game for years and enjoy the guild and the events. But I'm afraid that either the ads go - or I will. It completely spoils the game experience, whether on mobile or PC. Sorry Inno, you have got this one REALLY WRONG.