• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Idea: Message Centre: Conversation Read Me

Should a readme message be available for conversations?

• No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Yes, for all conversations

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Only for guild conversations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only for Social conversations

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BenTrovato

Private
Proposal:
That message conversations have an optional description or Read Me section.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
I can't find this idea. It would have some of the same benefits as Sticky Messages (which has been suggested often) but without as much programming overhead.

Reason:
We often see rubric repeated by an admin for new joiners to a conversation. Interguild 1.9s are a prime example, where the poor admin has to keep repeating the rules in the middle of the conversation. Creating an in-guild competition sparked the idea; that's another class of conversation which may benefit from a readme. In guild threads this issue is sometimes worked around by creating a locked conversation with the rules for a separate, generally accessible conversation. This isn't ideal, as guild members have to find the rules, which being untouched, move increasingly farther away from the active thread in the conversation list.

Details:
On creating a new conversation, the message section would be replaced by a two-tab window for message and readme. If the readme is empty, nothing changes. Selecting the readme tab allows a persistent message to be created that only dies by deletion, emptying or with the death of the conversation itself. Access for creating a readme would also be available to moderators and the usual suspects through the more/options icon menu at the top left of the conversation.

If the Readme section has been filled in, on opening a conversation there would be another small icon at the top left, a readme icon. Perhaps this could be an exclamation mark and could be in red if the rubric has changed since the conversation member last read it. Clicking on it brings up the readme message. Mods etc also have the right to edit the Readme message (and save) instead of just viewing. This is the same mode they would be in my selecting create from the More icon menu. An icon at the top left of the readme message with a backarrow returns the reader to the conversation. Also the usual x at the top right for exiting the conversation entirely.

I'm suggesting two ways to create the readme, the tabbed screen on conversation creation and entry from the conversation's more menu. Provided the conversation creator can always access it, the tabbed screen on creation is just a "nice to have". The functionality would work without it by creating the conversation first then adding a readme subsequently. It's a bit less user friendly, but if it minimises programmer effort and makes the difference, sobeit.

Balance:
This doesn't affect game balance.

Abuse Prevention:
If normal max message length applies, it shouldn't overburden the system. If there are persistent message limits they should be applied too.

Summary:
Each conversation gets an optional readme section that allows a single persistent message to be associated with the conversation for a description or for instructions.

IIf you add an option to vote yes or no - as you should - I'd vote yes.
We lack an option to pin an info message to the top of threads. It's been on the wish list for a long time.

Forwandert

Lieutenant-General
This would be a great addition, This would be useful on practically every guild thread and external 1.9s etc. We haven't been able to do this properly since they deleted the guild forums.

I would save this for the two upcoming community sprints.

BenTrovato

Private
IIf you add an option to vote yes or no - as you should - I'd vote yes.
We lack an option to pin an info message to the top of threads. It's been on the wish list for a long time.
I thought I had created a poll, with options for Guild conversations only, social conversations only, both and neither. Obviously it didn't come through. Can someone point me to instructions on how to add this?

Ah. It seems to have worked this time. Apologies for its earlier absence.