• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Live PVP tournaments with Swiss-style pairing

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
Proposal: Add live PVP tournaments with Swiss-style pairing

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yes, I did. No, while there are a few ideas relating to live PVP, none of them are similar to this, so I thought it was sufficiently different to post here.

Reason:
PVP against the same predictable computer can get a bit old, and we don't have a chance to match our tactics against a human player. It would be nice to have live PVP tournaments.

Details:
1. Perhaps initially this would need to be a one-off special event, but in the long run, depending on popularity, it could be a monthly or weekly thing. Maybe even daily if there's enough interest. You might want two events at different times to fit different time zones.
2. You would want a separate tournament for each age. These tournaments could all be run at exactly the same time (in which case you can only enter one), or they could run at different times so that people could enter more than one (that might also help with the time zone issue).
3. Depending on the popularity of the events, there could be a separate tournament for each world, or there could be a single combined tournament for all worlds (as with the current Guild Expedition). Maybe a weekly event for each world, and once a month a global event for all worlds with a larger number of rounds?

Here's a description of how Swiss pairings work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

It would work as follows:
1. Each round, you would use a Swiss-style pairing system (such as is commonly used in chess tournaments) to match each player with an opponent. If you have an odd number of players, the lowest player who has not yet received a bye should get a 1-point bye. In a Swiss-style system, you play against people who have a similar score to you. So if you win your first two battles, you'll get paired against someone else who has also won their first two battles.
2. You should be able to withdraw from the tournament. If you disconnect, or if you lose on time after having run out a full minute of the clock on your last turn, you should be auto-withdrawn.
3. Any units damaged or lost in a battle will be damaged or lost, just as in any other battle. Thus, to win, you will need enough units ready to hand to win several battles. This means that in early battles, you will need to choose between a costly victory or a surrender that preserves your army intact for later rounds in the hopes of having a come-back win. On the other hand, if you've got lots of spare units, it may be worth fighting on in a losing cause in order to damage your opponents army as much as possible to hurt his chances in the later rounds.
4. Since this is a Swiss-style event rather than a knockout tournament, losing an early battle doesn't mean you're done. You still have a chance at one of the top spots, and if someone topples the guy who beat you, you might still manage to win.
5. If we assume a typical battle rarely lasts longer than 50 turns (25 each), given the clock times I suggested below (3 minutes each plus 10 seconds per turn), we should have a theoretical maximum of about 15 minutes per round. My guess is that a battle will rarely last that long; most should be done within 2-3 minutes, I would think. If a typical round lasts five minutes, a 10-round event can be done in under an hour.

Visual Aids:
Not exactly a visual aid, but imagine the following example of a four-round 8-man tournament, involving players A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H.
Round 1:
A beats E, B beats F, C beats G, D beats H

Round 2:
Everyone on one point gets paired together, everyone on no points gets paired together.
A beats C, B beats D, E beats G, F beats H

Round 3:
A and B have two points, C, D, E, and F have one, and G and H have none.
A beats B, C beats E, D beats F, G beats H

Round 4:
A has three points, B, C, and D have two, E, F, and G have one, and H has none
Since only one person has three, A is paired with the nearest player he hasn't played yet (D). Similarly at the other end where only H has lost everything.
D beats A, B beats C, F beats G, E beats H

Results:
A, B, and D have three points, C, E, and F have two, G has one, and H has none. Therefore, A, B, and D split the top three prizes, C, E, and F split the 4th through 6th prizes.

Normally you would want more than four rounds. But a ten-round event is enough that even with over a hundred participants, you'll still usually have 1-2 clear winners, with a larger number of ties as you move down the table.

Balance:
The prize for the winners would probably consist of medals, plus the winners would have their names posted somewhere. Of course, later ages would have a larger prize.

Abuse Prevention:
1. To avoid someone entering with two accounts and giving themselves a free win, members from the same IP address should not be paired together. That avoids penalising legitimate family members.
2. If this event covers all worlds, you would only be able to enter each tournament from one world. Of course, if the tournaments for different ages do not run simultaneously, there's no reason you couldn't enter the iron age tournament from one world and the colonial age event from another world.
3. To stop people avoiding combat and holding up the tournament, a battle should be considered lost for both players after a certain number of turns. This number should be sufficiently large to allow reasonable manoeuvring.
4. To avoid people holding up the tournament by just sitting, there should be a clock running. You should start with, say, three minutes, with ten seconds added for every turn. If your time runs out, you lose.
5. To penalise someone for simply letting the clock run out instead of surrendering, if you run a full minute off the clock in your final turn before losing on time, you should be auto-withdrawn from the tournament. There should be no further penalties in case the timing out was due to connectivity issues or real-life interruptions.

Summary:
Add live PVP tournaments using Swiss-style pairings, perhaps initially as a special one-off event, but eventually moving to a regular schedule (monthly, weekly, or even daily based on how popular they are).

I don't see the need to make these things so interactive.

Forge of Empires already stores each move in a battle and has the mechanism to reload a battle at any stage. This could be easily utilised, without a huge cost, in enabling contests between players who do not have to be online at the same time.

Sure, a battle could take long time, if each player makes only one move per day. For this, the reward for winning/tying up the troops for that time, would have to be worthwhile: possibly decided up-front by the two players contributing equally to the reward, winner takes all. There would probably have to be a time limit (e.g. each player must move once every 24 hours or they lose/the AI takes over) but even that could be decided by the two players, who might prefer a minimum move every 12 hours.

DeletedUser111351

@Prinza the Hunter If I read that right, you are suggesting wagering on fights. This runs the very real risk of players exploiting this as a means to funnel whatever is wagerable.

If players are wanting actual PvP though, why jump straight to a tournament. Why not change plundering to allow a small window of time on attack whereby an online defender can click on a pop-up and choose to actually control his defense manually. This would have the added benefit of putting in a great deal more risk for those 7 rogue plunderers (and don't allow retreat if a defender accepts challenge).

@Prinza the Hunter If I read that right, you are suggesting wagering on fights. This runs the very real risk of players exploiting this as a means to funnel whatever is wagerable.
You are right, that is open to abuse. Scrap that part, then.
I still think it is feasible to do the fighting even when the opponent is off-line. Just not sure WHY anyone would.

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
A correspondence-style tournament could be done too, but would drag out over a lengthy period of time.

It would also mean you can rebuild lost units mid-tournament, which I have mixed feelings about. While it lets the little guy compete on a more even footing with the guy who's had Alcatraz churning out units for a year, it significantly eliminates the need to balance winning a particular battle with the need to keep as much as possible of your army intact, and mostly eliminates any benefit to fighting on in a losing cause to damage the other person's army for later rounds.

It also means that you have to balance your military needs in the tournament with your other military needs over a very lengthy period of time.

Basically, it means you have a constant low-level drain on your army, rather than a single major event. Instead of temporarily building a large army (perhaps temporarily sacrificing your goods buildings to build extra barracks) for the live tourney, you have to maintain a somewhat larger army for a lengthy period of time.

I don't think I like that as much. It would also be pretty slow to run...

I don't see the plunder defence as relevant to this idea, though. Sure, one could take the live PVP idea to cover that scenario too, but my idea here was for a live tourney.

DeletedUser111351

I understand that you are asking for a live tournament. Maybe the idea will get traction and maybe it won't. I was simply suggesting that it is a very BIG ask from a development and planning point of view as well as a potential major change to how the game would then be played (as it completely changes required city builds to participate for anyone not hugely amassing troops).

I suggested the plunder defense as possibly a stepping stone to ask for along the way to possibly implementing this idea. It would give a means of building/testing live PvP without altering much of anything else. Kinks in PvP as well as player interest could be discovered before a major upheaval was committed to.

In short, I agree the two ideas are completely separate. It was just a thought that I felt might make your end goal more likely to happen.

DeletedUser110195

A tournament such as this should be at a fixed time, and with a fixed number of units that do NOT come from the players own reserve of units. A tournament must be fair, and for it to be fair everyone has to have the same resources starting off. No bonuses from your Zeus/Aachen/CdM applicable. Just you vs them. Now there should be some customization in the overall unit makeup, but all players should start with the same number of units....what units you choose are up to you, but they should all be standard units of your age. Score should have no impact on who you're paired against.

DeletedUser111351

@Augustavian agreed that if players' boosts and troops are based on their city, 90-99% of players would never bother playing because the prize winners would be a forgone conclusion before it started. Most players would only join to get a participation award (if there was one) and then default out of the fighting or if the rewards went way down the list.

Although even if it's equal troops but with choosing team makeup, then it's more likely to be lucky troop choice than actual good strategy to win.

DeletedUser110195

Although even if it's equal troops but with choosing team makeup, then it's more likely to be lucky troop choice than actual good strategy to win.
I don't know where luck plays into it, your strategy and tactics are built around what units you prefer, if you never or rarely use something, then forcing an equal measure of your tournament army to be those things isn't a reflection of how you fight.

DeletedUser111351

I don't know where luck plays into it, your strategy and tactics are built around what units you prefer, if you never or rarely use something, then forcing an equal measure of your tournament army to be those things isn't a reflection of how you fight.
Yes, I have preferred troops, as I imagine most do. And maybe I actually fight better with them than if I was using other troops. Although that's to be seen, in single character rpg style games I often like playing as a thief and sneaking in for the kill. But as much as that is how I like to play, I die more often than when I play as a fighter or a ranged player.

This game's fight does have a strong rock-paper-scissor setup though. Certain units will pretty much always beat certain other units. This is the aspect that I was saying may well lead to luck playing a big role. Just happen to go in with the perfect units against the enemy.

It all would depend heavily on how such a tournament was set up though. Do one's units heal between fights so they could use any setup every time? Can other players see one's previous matches to see unit preference? Or see which units he's already lost and no longer has access to? Is the pool of units large enough to use 8 of the same type or to what degree are players forced to have more balanced team?

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
Hmm... I do like taking away Zeus bonuses, etc.

I'm not 100% certain about giving everyone free units specifically for the tourney so that they don't have to build units for it, although I understand the reasoning. But if this is done, I think killed/damaged units should be dead/damaged for later rounds, so that part of the strategy is balancing the need for wins with the need to preserve your army for the later rounds, and the need to do damage to your opponent to hurt their chances in the later rounds.

Giving people free units would also mean it's easy to take part in tournaments for every age you have access to (assuming each age has its own tourney), rather than having to build an army to focus on a particular age; I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

I do agree it should be at a fixed time. Depending on the number of people they draw, perhaps make it once a week or month?

I do realise this is a major enhancement and a big job for the developers. Even if they totally love this idea, chances are good it doesn't come live for six months or a year. But I do think it would be a popular feature if done right.

DeletedUser110195

I'm not 100% certain about giving everyone free units specifically for the tourney so that they don't have to build units for it, although I understand the reasoning.
Not free units, tournament units. These units do not go to the player's army reserves for normal play, they would be specifically for the tournament and gone once it's over.
But if this is done, I think killed/damaged units should be dead/damaged for later rounds, so that part of the strategy is balancing the need for wins with the need to preserve your army for the later rounds, and the need to do damage to your opponent to hurt their chances in the later rounds.
That is precisely how it should be done and why there needs to be a set amount of units each participant has for the tournament, so more established players can't simply overwhelm less developed players with endless fresh units.

potatoskunk

Master Corporal
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having a supply of tournament units.

Presumably most of them should be regular units and only a small number of special units (rogues, drummers, champions, etc.).

What I'm not entirely sure about, though, is what the mix should be:
1. regular units evenly divided among the different types and special units evenly divided among the different types of special units
2. random allocation and you have to figure out how to make the best of what you have
3. You get to choose your unit types

Of course, there's no reason the regular units and special units would have to be done based on the same option. It could do #3 for the regular units but #1 or #2 for the special units.

#1 is the obvious and straightforward answer. #2 has a certain appeal, although I can see people bailing out immediately if they don't like what they get. #3 is interesting too; people can choose their preferred mix.

Of course, the number of units you're given should be enough that with careful management of your army, you can still field an effective army in the late rounds, but if you fight to the death in every battle you'll be running out of troops before the end.

Another question: what happens if you run out of troops before the end?
1. You fight your remaining battles with 2 spearfighters, no matter what age the tournament is. People will just drop out rather than do this, so it's probably no good.
2. You're still in, but lose all remaining battles immediately (unless you're matched with an opponent who is also out of troops, in which case a draw is declared). This is effectively the same as #1 except you don't have to sit around and watch it, and the chance of a draw means you might still pick up half a point.
3. You're no longer matched for any remaining rounds, but keep the points you have; if you got enough early points, you might still get one of the top spots. This is effectively the same as #2 except that you're no longer dishing out free points to your opponents and can't get a draw.
4. You're eliminated and are out of the tournament altogether.

I think I like #2. The penalty for running out of troops is significant (and should be), especially if there's still 2-3 rounds remaining, but you've still got a chance of getting something if you had a good start.