• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: Limiting Browser Crashes After Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser1032

Proposal
This proposal might limit browser crashes that often happen after battles.

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea?
Yes. I found discussions on game crashes, but nothing similar to this idea.

Reason
When visiting multiple cities - either when PMing or after battles - the game often crashes. It seems that the city graphics fill up the memory and eventually cause the crash.

Details
I'd like to propose that we give players a choice to either visit and plunder opponent's city after a battle, or simply to go back to player's own city if he or she choose not to plunder. Many of us don't plunder, or plunder only those who keep no defenses, and therefore we don't need to go to most of our opponents' cities.

Visual Aids
Choosing "OK" button would simply return the player to his or her own city, without having to visit the defeated town and loading all these extra graphics.
battle-end.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3157

Neat. Primitive but likely quite effective. Easy to arrange and could well serve as a temporary addition until the issue is fixed for good. +1

DeletedUser3723

Lord Vortican I enthusiastically supports this idea! OH YES! Ah, for many a days benevolent Lord Vortican makes war upon his enemies, but never callously plunders their goods, yet the quaking of his scrying glass and eventually its shattering perturbs His Lordship to no end! Indeed, He has lost his restful beauty sleep many a time because of this horrible event. GOODNESS! His Mighty Protector, Lord Vortican I, would be ever so grateful for such a thing as has been suggested by noble Ser TerraAnt.

DeletedUser653

+1 for me, simple and does the job if your not plundering (but does not resolve for those who want to plunder :()

DeletedUser1032

I also like the fact that I wouldn't have to waste so much time waiting for those towns to load up. Right now I'm stuck with crappy connection, so we're talking about a lot of wasted time here.

DeletedUser

edit: , (see posts #10 & #12)

edit2: +1 due to changes made in post #14

DeletedUser

When visiting multiple cities - either when PMing or after battles - the game often crashes. . . . .
. . . I'd like to propose that we give players a choice to either visit and plunder opponent's city after a battle, or simply to go back to player's own city

When I am visiting multiple cities I do not go back to my own city. If you had an option to go to the next city on the scroll bar it might be more interesting.

DeletedUser1032

When I am visiting multiple cities I do not go back to my own city. If you had an option to go to the next city on the scroll bar it might be more interesting.

This idea was meant to eliminate having to go to opponent's city after winning a battle. That way, those of us who don't wish to plunder wouldn't have to waste time waiting for the city to load, and it might lower the incidence of game crashes. At least for me, almost 100% of those crashes happen during city visitations. Since I don't plunder (or rarely), I don't need to visit those cities.

DeletedUser

GrossEyeEh makes a fair point when you think about it. By going back to your own city after a battle and then attacking your next neighbor you might as well have gone to the city you didn't want to plunder and then attacked your next neighbor. Either way you are loading a city you don't want to load into your browser. So if you changed your suggested "OK" option on the battle result to a 'NEXT CITY' option I think is what GrossEyeEh is suggesting.
Though this is not so good for me personally because I do not necessarily attack neighbors in the order they appear on my scroll bar. And you will then need a third option of " Back to City " or you will be stuck in a cycle of battles.

DeletedUser1032

Perhaps, although I don't know how the coding goes for the game. I'm thinking that since you've already been to your own city before the attack, going back there shouldn't make any difference because all its graphics have already been loaded. Also, you make a fair point about attacking the next neighbour on the neighbourhood bar - I rarely go to the next one, as I keep my own list.
Perhaps there is a way to combine both of these ideas. Give me some time to work out the graphics and I'll upload a pic for you guys later today.

DeletedUser1032

Okay, here are some refinements for this idea... The image below shows two areas of interest. Area 1 would have the "OK" button which would return the player back to his own city, and the "Plunder" button which would take him to the opponent's city for some plundering. Area 2 shows some empty space at the top of the screen which could be utilized to better effect. This empty space could be used to push the "Battle Result" box into and make some extra space at the bottom.

after-battle-1small.jpg

This next image shows the "Battle Result" box pushed to the top, thus creating some empty space below in Area 1. Area 2 shows the unit scroll bar, which at this point is not necessary. We'll get rid of it in the last image.

after-battle-2small.jpg

And the last image below shows the complete screen with the neighbourhood scroll bar at the bottom (replacing the old unit scroll bar), which would give players the option of going directly into another battle, without having to go back to their own city nor to the defeated city for plundering. This would also have the effect of allowing players to choose which neighbour to attack, by scrolling this bar left or right, without having to be stuck with "Next" as the only option.

after-battle-3small.jpg

DeletedUser

+1. Any improvement made toward not having to load a town after attacking would be great. I keep the newly added "town animations" setting set at inactive to help somewhat with this issue, although not very effective (and not what intended for), so any more improvement here would be great.

DeletedUser

+1 with the 'post 14' changes.

Part of the reason I plunder is because I'm there anyway, so may as well take something for my trouble. But my priority is my time. If the battles were set up to go from on to the next (as you seem to be doing in post 14) with no fruitless clicks and loads, I would fight more neighbors and plunder fewer of them. Bottom line, for me, I like it.

DeletedUser1032

+1 with the 'post 14' changes.

Part of the reason I plunder is because I'm there anyway, so may as well take something for my trouble. But my priority is my time. If the battles were set up to go from on to the next (as you seem to be doing in post 14) with no fruitless clicks and loads, I would fight more neighbors and plunder fewer of them. Bottom line, for me, I like it.

As for plundering, I know that some players do, but many don't. I plunder only those who have military buildings but choose to have nothing in defense. I also got a deal going with some of my neighbours - they put up some defenses for me to fight against, and I stop plundering their cities. Works out good for both sides :-)

DeletedUser

Definitely +1 for the updated idea, I only plunder people without armies so it would streamline the whole process a lot for me.

DeletedUser

+1. It wouldn't affect me personally, but I think it would mean a performance improvement for a large number of players.

EDIT: That "+1" above is using a tag. Hilarious :D

Status
Not open for further replies.